Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leak At Windscreen

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi...

Took the T27 for a well deserved car wash today. Whilst sitting inside the vehicle...and the guy was pressure washing the car at drivers side...i noticed my side pillars getting soaked...i panicked because the side air bags are behind that...and then it started dripping at my feet!@@

We've NEVER NEVER had that happen before.

Upon inspection i can only think its coming from the top edge of the drivers side windscreen because the seal looks a bit pushed forward. Im thinking if i seal it in that corner from the outside it might fix the issue. Our poor interior!!!

20181119_083047.jpg

P.s

Any sealant brand recommendations??

Last thing we needed is this. Cars...had enough of them recent

Is the windscreen an original fitment or has it been replaced in the past?

Water can travel quite a long distance by capillary action although yours does seem to originate at that upper corner. A commercial pressure washer used up close may be finding weaknesses that wouldn't normally be an issue... and I think we've probably all seen cars where even paint has been lifted by these things. You might be best asking a professional fitter what they recommend and what materials they have good success with.

Mooly...its an original Toyota one...probably from the day it was manufactured. 

Cheers for your advice mooly, means alot.

Ive just been out to check on it again, my other half really really cherishes his Avensis, he’s devestated, however, eventhough its absolutely chucking it down this evening, i dont see a single drop of water coming in, yes the pillar panel is still wet but that could be because it got absolutely soaked during the wash, being cold out there, will take time to dry.

But i honestly believe it could be a one off in the way the idiot pressure washed the vehicle so up close, he mustv hit it at an angle. Time will tell, tomorrow i shall get my hair dryer out, make him put all his panel trims back on, and then play the waiting game. I hope the fabric hasnt stained!

If it has stained then try a foaming carpet cleaner aerosol (the kind used for spot clean-ups) and a soft nail brush. It could well be a one off given the nature of these things.

Good luck 🙂 

Could try your hair dryer, drying first from the outside of the stain inwards. Have a damp cloth and keep wiping from outside of the stain inwards as it drys.

I try to keep away from car washes, the power of the jets can easily strip paint if too close, and easily water will find a way through seals. Unless the operator is trained on proper procedures then damage of all sorts can be done, and you have no comeback.  You might get away with it 100 times, its the 101st that can hurt you.

Cheers guys,

Its been heavy down pours for us today, miserable weather, but im glad to report all inside is dry to the bone still, touch wood.

Not much of a stain left but going out now in this freezing weather to work my cleaning magic, carpet cleaner to hand! The things i do for him lol.

And much agreed, no more car wash places for him, unless they dont use pressure washers, this incident freaked him out for sure, imagine if it got into the complex world of wiring behind all these panels, could cause major issues in my opinion. We’re staying away from them for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All

To update...upon giving the vehicle a good interior clean yesterday we noticed a line of condensation down the front windscreen in the same spot we had the leak...drivers far right...as it were coming from the top of the roof lining. It dried pretty quick with the heater on. And the A pillar and roof lining were NOT wet but could potentially be a different story behind it.

This pontential leak is going to drive my hubby mad. Im thinking...should we replace the screen via the insurance...75.00 gets a new 1 and hopefully no leak issue. It wont be a genuine toyota screen i suppose but this leak is more important.

Please advise. Thank you.

I'm not sure replacing the screen would be the first line of attack tbh. A replacement firm may well try a sealer first, injected from the inside assuming there is reasonable access. 

This is interesting, read the bit about soapy water and putting the blower on full to look for bubbles:

https://blog.nationwide.com/windshield-leaking/

One or two owners (think mainly tourers) have had issues with leaks from the roof seams - where the black plastic strips are on the roof. Cure seems to be a marine crack sealant such as Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure (available from Amazon, etc).

Mooly and Frostyballs...cheers for the input.

Just been out to look at it again. Pouring down today.

Heart breaking as it is because i dont like to see my hubby feeling down...its his pride n joy...but its def leaking in there. Will update pic.

I just cant figure if its the windscreen or from the side of the roof...maybe at those black plastic strips Frosty mentioned...are these easy to remove may i ask?

Im thinking of my best plan of action...should i remove the A pillar trim...and roof lining down drivers side and see if i can spot anything? Leaks are terrible almost impossible to spot. Im surprised my Aygos bone dry touch wood! How easy is it to remove all that trim without damaging things esp.creasing the roof lining?

Or i could pay for a new windscreen. Thing is will the replacement look like the original with the sensors built in etc.

Screenshot_20181201-165804_WhatsApp.jpg

This is the 1 time id appreciate responses that could actually help me fix this issue.

I  think the trim should pop off relatively easily, the headlining may be best left alone as I seem to recall reading somewhere that its (generally) difficult to work with. I still think you should ask a professional outfit what they advise. 

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

I  think the trim should pop off relatively easily, the headlining may be best left alone as I seem to recall reading somewhere that its (generally) difficult to work with. I still think you should ask a professional outfit what they advise. 

Will do Mooly, cheers, going via the youtube vids n various forums...its all pointing to the weather strip 100%...fingers crossed it is that which should in theory be an easy fix

I had a similar problem with my 2012 Tourer after only a year old,  both front window pillars were soaking wet after heavy rain showers. They replaced the windscreen seal under warranty and put it down to poor quality control.

Toyata Avensis 2012 leak on roof pillars.jpg

10 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Will do Mooly, cheers, going via the youtube vids n various forums...its all pointing to the weather strip 100%...fingers crossed it is that which should in theory be an easy fix

Lets hope so. Good luck.

13 hours ago, Mooly said:

Lets hope so. Good luck.

Thanks...i’ll need it

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

One or two owners (think mainly tourers) have had issues with leaks from the roof seams - where the black plastic strips are on the roof. Cure seems to be a marine crack sealant such as Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure (available from Amazon, etc).

Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack, quick, get the Doctor!!

Seriously, I have the same problem on a T27 Tourer with glass roof, it's under warranty so dealer is investigating today, I'll report later.

• 4 months later...

Anyone knows how to fix this problem? It looks like Mine 2010 T27 has wet pillar just like original poster SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS pics.

6 hours ago, JiiN said:

Anyone knows how to fix this problem? It looks like Mine 2010 T27 has wet pillar just like original poster SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS pics.

Hi Jinn, 

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Did you discover the issue after a car wash or after a heavy rain?

Ours seems to be okay. We haven't taken any action to cure it. It just seems to have fixed itself. 

I'm so sorry that I can't advise you on a fix. 

I do recommend using a hair dryer to keep it dry and avoid staining hopefully.

Sammy

8 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi Jinn, 

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Did you discover the issue after a car wash or after a heavy rain?

Ours seems to be okay. We haven't taken any action to cure it. It just seems to have fixed itself. 

I'm so sorry that I can't advise you on a fix. 

I do recommend using a hair dryer to keep it dry and avoid staining hopefully.

Sammy

Hello Sam!

I have washed my car with lot of water many times without problem, but yesterday it was raining hard and car was parked when water came out of pillar.

I am wondering could those Roof Rack attachment sealant's be dead and maybe water is leaking there. I'm not 100% sure, but somehow it looks like water didn't came top at windscreen.

It looks like problem solved! Next to windscreen is sealant and under it there is water drain. It was full of dirt. I took off Roof Rack and pour water different places, and after all it dropped water top of windscreen. I cleaned dirt away under sealant and pour more water same spots and problem was gone! 

IMG_20210716_125358.jpg

IMG_20210716_125414.jpg