Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Rear end sag when towing

KBarker455

Hello all, 

Apologies for my first post asking for info. I have been on this forum many times looking at how too's but have become stuck on my latest endeavour. 

I bought my Rav4 2006 2.2 D4D approximately 12 months ago after passing my towing license. I have been using it the last 12 month to tow a car to local racing events (60 mile round trip).

I seem to be suffering with rear end sag. I have added some grayston spring assisters which have helped considerably but when hitched the rear door doesn't open very far due to hitting on the trailer handbrake (Rav 4 tow bar height to centre of ball-1 420mm) 

To remove the temporary fix of the spring assisters i had planned to putting some heavier duty springs and hopefully raise the rear end to counter the sag and get the trailer to tow flat and the rear door to miss the handbrake on the trailer (only hits by a couple of millimetres). 

Car+Trailer weighs around 1700kg and have already tried different combinations of moving the car backwards on the trailer in order to remove some nose weight and level the trailer out. 

Does anyone know any heavier duty springs which can be fitted and where they can be found from ? I have been searching through online forums for a good couple of hours with no joy. 

I have the same problem and it’s a common fault with this model. I have been tugging a caravan with my xt3 for 9 years now and have gotten used to it. I do pack most of the heavy stuff in the Rav with the rear seats laid down. If there’s anything that I think I will need on the road I place them near the rear side doors. Afraid it may be something that you have to live with.

According to towing limits for your model Rav 4 the towing capacity is 1500kg making the car over its towing limit. The safe towing capacity is 85 percent of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle which is 1227 kg making your trailer and car well over the towing capacity of the Rav. Which could be very dangerous and probably illegal.

22 minutes ago, TP49 said:

According to towing limits for your model Rav 4 the towing capacity is 1500kg making the car over its towing limit. The safe towing capacity is 85 percent of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle which is 1227 kg making your trailer and car well over the towing capacity of the Rav. Which could be very dangerous and probably illegal.

The 85% rule is only a recommendation and not the law.

If the trailer is heavier than the towing car it could make a very unstable combination.

It doesn't matter how high you make the springs, the rear door will always hit the caravan hitch. The EC Directive 94/20/EC (The standard that all towbars are designed to) states that the tow ball height should be between 350 and 420mm from the ground with the vehicle in a 'laden' state. I suppose you could jack the back up so high that you could then drop the tow bar down to achieve the correct hight. Just a thought. 

Towball heights specification

if the rear end raises it will level the rear of the car when the trailer is hitched. Meaning the rear door does not swing at a downwards angle towards the trailer handbrake as it is doing at the moment with the rear end sag. Giving me the couple of millimetres of lift that is required for it to miss the handbrake. & making it a much more pleasure-able towing experience. 

I see a post on another forum regarding 4WD 3rd row seat models having slightly longer (20mm springs) & stiffer springs. Anyone know a part number ? or where i could possibly find one. 

I had some joy after numerous searching tirelessly through forums. 

American 3rd row seat rear springs V6 4WD Part Number: 48231-0R050 

Additional Ride height a couple of centre-meters and an increase in spring stiffness from the original springs: 493 lb/in, and the stiffer springs are 736 lb/in. 

I have found 1 place that has them in stock and are willing to ship to the UK: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~spring~coil~rr~48231-0r050.html

Cost: 2x springs £134.30 shipping + £53.30 Total Cost: £187.60

Another cheaper option i have found: Email sent for estimated time they will be back in stock. 

https://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-uk/rav4/ala30-2-2td-5-door-112005-122012/ala30-suspension-0/ala30-suspension-coil-spring-rear-pair-obk-20-stronger

Progressive springs also another option: 

http://mad-suspension.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=1&sort=p.model&order=ASC

Just received an update: 

The milner off road springs will be back in stock 17th of December. I am going to wait for them to come back in store.  Hopefully the combination of tougher springs & the 12 year old wear and tear on the current ones it should give me the height clearance required. 

While I agree this will cure the sagging problem, it won’t stop the door from hitting your hitch, as the back gets raised up the tow bar will raise up as well. Unless I’m missing something here. I have the Grayson Doughnuts fitted and this stopped my Rav sagging and the caravan sits level but the door still hits the Alko hitch leaver.

Excuse the amazing drawing that took the whole of 2 seconds to complete. 

Currently the trailer is towing nose down.Which is making the rear sag. Which is also angling the door into the path of the tow bar. 

it currently hits about 10-20mm up the back door. So once the rear end angle/sag is removed it should give me that clearance. 

Capture.PNG

20 hours ago, KBarker455 said:

Car+Trailer weighs around 1700kg and have already tried different combinations of moving the car backwards on the trailer in order to remove some nose weight and level the trailer out. 

I don't tow and have no experience of the subject but understand that one doesn't want too much weight on the nose / tow point. Have you tried reversing the car onto the trailer to alter the balance point?  Maybe that's a really stupid suggestion but ... 😉

the trailer has a over bonnet tyre rack. So unfortunately not a possibility. Nor does the trailer have any adjustment in the hitch. Its either new springs or a new car. So will give the springs an upgrade over the winter and see how it sits. Its unfortunate as i love the car for pottering around town and parking. Which is near impossible with the fuel guzzling L200's and navara's