Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris hybrid occasionally fails to move

Patrick Slinn

When I start my Yaris Hybrid occasionally after putting it into either reverse or forward it fails to move, the ready light is on and R or D is indicated. I then have to switch it off and go through the procedure again. My Toyota dealer has experienced this, shrugged his shoulders and told me there is nothing to worry about, Has anybody else experienced this ?  Also how accurate is the MPG read out ?. It does not seem to to be the same as my own calculations. I really do like this car, it is a pleasure to drive and comfortable on short or long journeys .

Thank you.  Pat. 

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Topic re-titled and moved to the Yaris club

The mpg readout is usually optimistic as with any car, not just Toyota, and won't be as accurate as 'brim to brim' calculations.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Patrick Slinn said:

When I start my Yaris Hybrid occasionally after putting it into either reverse or forward it fails to move …..

Are you saying that it doesn't creep forward or back (in D or R mode) with the handbrake off? If it does creep, my guess would be the accelerator pedal system (wiring or electronic internals), otherwise …….

If you are so inclined, I would use the android app torque pro and a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to check certain items (accelerator position, etc.) if the garage won't help - lots of good info is available including the individual traction Battery voltages (well, 2 7 volt packs in series to give 15-ish volts via torque pro).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice Mike J.  I have a Yaris Hybrid that is still under the manufacturers warranty. It was serviced recently and my Toyota dealer told me that they had never come across the problem before and they experienced it ! . the service engineer just shrugged his shoulders and told me to bring it back if it happens again !. 

My Lexus GS300h does exactly what you describe, occasionally. Like the Yaris, it has a traditional auto style 'shifter' stick. It might possibly have something to do with shifting the stick too quickly after pressing the Start button, but I haven't tested that scientifically at all. 

Given that my GS has been occasionally doing it for over 2 years without it getting more frequent, and nothing else appears to have gone wrong, I don't believe it is anything to be too concerned about.

I have the same issue with my Rav 4. It seems to happen if you take it out of park mode too quickly after pressing the start button. I can’t remember the exact message but it suggests to put back in park mode. I do this and then reselect drive or reverse it still won’t move. The only way to sort it is to turn off the power completely and try again. A bit frustrating I know. I use to have the auris hybrid with the joystick gear selector and never an issue.

2 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

I have the same issue with my Rav 4. It seems to happen if you take it out of park mode too quickly after pressing the start button.

On the 2013 Yaris hybrid, you must wait for the initial 'beep' before moving the 'gearlever'.

• Like 1

Yes, you must wait for the beep.

I'm too quick to move the stick, and the car remains still despite the indications being correct.  I have to press the button off and then back on again.

I'm very slowly getting into the hang of waiting, so it's becoming less and less of an issue.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing that might the issue, have you fully pushed hard on the brake before pressing power / turning the key.
Our Yaris used to catch me out like that. It seemed to be more fussy than my old auris.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links