Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A recall on the recent Air-Bag recalls - READ

DeTomato

Toyota UK advised me today that if you've had a recall on your Air-bags then you need to take it back AGAIN to your dealer to have it checked because there is a Recall on the Recall Air-Bag work.

Apparently some other company who supplies the Passenger Air-bag and Sensor has found a fault :blink:.

This has to be checked and replaced again :wacko: You can check it here https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker or call 0800 044 3720 - if it shows or they advise you need a recall AGAIN then you need to take your car back to a Toyota dealer.

Toyota UK asked I take my Corolla back to the Dealer asap to get it sorted.

Seriously, get this checked!

• Thanks 1

Hi D,

Interesting, as I have got mine booked in for the original airbag  recall next week.

Do you have any links to this Re - Recall ?  your "Recall on the Recall Air-Bag work." doesn't seem to link to anywhere.

Nothing showing on Toyotas recall checker  for my car other than that a Recall is outstanding, no details of what.

Will give my dealer a ring on Monday to see if they know of it, don't  want to be taking there twice !

OK, it may be you have to register first at https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/

Then you need to check the https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker link. Note, the Recall on the Recall Air-Bag work is/was an underline, not a link so I altered it to italics  -> :biggrin: Apologies for the confusion.

Hi,

When did you originally take your car in for the recall ?  Seems this was a worldwide re-recall first detailed in May this year.

Just spoken via the Toyota chat line about mine and they just say I have the original recall outstanding, would assume any first timers like me they would be fitting it in accordance to the Re- Recall, which seems to have been a problem with installing the inflater correctly ..?

Yes, I think you would get the new fitting Passenger air-bag and sensor. I would check with Toyota Customer service though on the number above. I spoke to Charlotte who knows all about this new re-recall problem. I had my original recall done about 4 months ago. So when Toyota just checked their recall system for me they advised although my recall was done, the manufacturer of the Passenger Air-bag and sensor has since notified Toyota of a new problem and therefore this has to be re-checked and resolved.

• Like 1

Hi D,

Well spoke to the service guy at the local dealer and he said the part thats arrived for my Rolla has  a different part number to previous ones, though he was not aware of the differences.

Seems Toyota HQ are keeping mum about the details of the problem.

Have to say was very pleased with the service, they collected and returned the car within 5 hours, looking at the dash not a sign of anything out of place or marked and when driving no extra rattles etc.

The real bonus and surprise came with the notorious health check, received a phone video of the mechanics inspection  all ok apart from one tyre being a little low in tread, which I knew about.  When the car was delivered it came with a hard copy showing  the tyres in graphic detail, but also there was a 4 wheel alignment graphic report for toe and camber, all ok ! :yes:

• Like 1

Check your alarm is still working. Mine has had problems with the Air-Bag change.

Whilst it was there, I had a report on mine too. Apparently I had a "nail a the front passenger tyre which is repairable". So I took it to my local garage and there was NO NAIL found. However it was found there was a valve leak which was duly replaced. How a Toyota Dealership can give a write up like this with a Nail supposedly being present when there wasn't is beyond my comprehension!?!?! Maybe their mechanic had too many beers the night before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeTomato said:

Check your alarm is still working. Mine has had problems with the Air-Bag change.

Hi,

Well the security red lid flashes away, though not sure how to actually test it ?  so long since I even set it off by mistake...

I tested it by winding down the driver's door window, locking with the remote and leaving for 2 minutes and then reaching inside to open the door from the inside. If the alarm doesn't go off, they've messed it up.

Hi,

Did try that test , though nothing happened,  But to be honest have never noticed any Radar sensors, so not 100% sure if my model has any fitted ..?  

Assume your TS with all the bells and whistles will have them, but can you see physically the typical radar sensors in yours   ?

Got the Toyota owners manual and there are about 8 pages of the door locking and alarm functions, probably why I and I suspect a lot of other folk do not  fully understand it; no pictures indicating the location of the radar sensors.

The manual does give testing routines for both the alarm and the radar so will try them out tomorrow and let you know, though for the radar it does say " put your hand though the open window right down to the drivers seat, then withdraw and it should then alarm"

According to the 2006 UK brochure, the Corolla didn't have an alarm as standard fit. It has an immobiliser - which is what the security LED is for.

When I ordered my new 2006 Corolla Colour Collection, the only alarm that was available was an option - and I had one fitted by the dealer. 

• Like 2

Hi Frosty,

Thanks for that, my Corolla is also a Colour Collection, built  May/June ish 2006.

I bought it a few years old, but feel sure I have set an alarm off on it before today, but  knowing me, it could have been the even  older  Avensis :rolleyes:

Will see if I can annoy the neighbours tomorrow !  :devil:

• Like 1

Yes, correct Frostyballs. There is not even any internal sensors on my VVTL-I, but there is supposed to be an alarm fitted as standard to this model along with the mobiliser. I know there was an alarm that worked prior to the airbag recall because I used to set it and there would be a beep as the lights flashed but it's no longer working after this. You can check if there is an alarm if you take the bottom cover off on the UK drivers side look under the steering column for a bolted on red & white small box unit about 1.5.cm deep x 7.0 cm long and 6.0 cm wide with wires. This I am advised is the alarm unit, or else the Toyota dealer doesn't know their stuff.

Hi,

Tried out my security and its the immobiliser and just the double locking system, with the red security led flashing  once the doors are locked.

No sign or sound of an alarm bleep when set and certainly no radar.   

I wonder if your alarm has been affected by the Battery and airbag disconnection and needs reprogramming  rather than a loose wire etc ??

Either way you should take it back to the dealer and ask them to remedy foc if you are sure its stopped as a result of the recall.

• Like 1

Yes, I took it back to the dealer... I reckon they switched off the Alarm on the ECU (which a Toyota technician can do with their Toyota software tool) to prevent it going off.

The Service guy said they'd need £152 to diagnose a fault because it was more likely to be a faulty wire or connection, or it could be anything - "great", I said sarcastically. Toyota Customer services since said it was down to the dealer to resolve, but I'd have to pay to get it checked. If it was found the fault was something the dealer had caused then I would be refunded the £152 by the dealer. Hmmm, that to me is like giving tax money to the Taxman and expecting to get some back!

I'm going to carry on doing my own checks to see what I can make of it before I commit to anything with the dealer again.

Hi,

Thats a difficult one as can see their point of view as much as yours.

There has been some  similar adverse comments generally  about the recall work , so I did take a video of the instrument panel and dashboard etc just before taking mine in, though would have never thought of checking the alarm if I had one.

Suppose it could be a difficult one for you  to troubleshoot, checking the wires around the alarm box itself should not be that much of a job, but thereafter where do they all connect and how does the software interact with it ?

Think they could have at least checked that it had not been turned off by asking the mechanic or plugging in their pc etc, surely they know if its a standard thing they do when they are doing so many airbag recalls.

Never seen any info about the alarm at all, wonder if there is any on the Toyota EU pay for site, though never able to view things properly on it myself.

Might just be simpler and cheaper to buy an aftermarket alarm if you hit a brick wall ...?

Seems lots of after market alarms and even trackers at reasonable prices  these days , perhaps dropping  a hint of a xmas pressy might bring one :xmas:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got a "recall on the recall" letter today.

Here is what it states:

recall-2.JPG

I also have received my "recall on a recall" letter today.  At least the recall system is working

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Don't know about "Recall on a Recall" but I have received a letter from Toyota, which I received on 23rd December 2018, for Campaign: LGG88. This is the first recall I have ever received from Toyota since owning the 2006 Corolla Verso in 2010.

Will be contacting my local Toyota Centre asap.