Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing from 5w30 semi to 0w20

frankie406

Hi Is it ok to change from the standard 5w30 oil that Toyota use for service to the recommend 0w20 fully synthetic oil by Toyota? I've a real bad noisy start up after using non Toyota oil and filter (1st time ever not going genuine parts).I'm hoping this will help and a cheap fix and not the cam gear needed.

Anybody? (Maybe I shouldn't of went to mazda and stayed with the avensis)!lol

What car do you how now? Is the Avensis 2006? What engine? (whoops, it appears you have one of those Auris' that are Mazda?)

I very much doubt 0W20 is even an option for an engine from 2006. 0W20 is the oil Toyota recommends on mostly newer vehicles, I think that'd be 2012 at the earliest.

When it comes to such an important thing as engine oil you realllly want to refer to the manual of the car. If it states that 5W30 is recommended them that's that. From there you can go in each direction a bit, say 0W30(40) or 10W30(40) depending on your exact needs and climate. 0W20 is really thin and will only work if the engine has been designed for it.

A little tippity-tappity at start-up is nothing bad if it lasts about 30 seconds or so, that's usually the time it takes for oil to travel to the head of the engine. It can take longer if the weather gets colder, maybe that's what you're seeing?

Other than that Toyota oil is no different than any other oil, Toyota aren't producing it itself so it's similar to getting Michelin tires from Toyota at +50% price because it's Toyota tires. So it's probably the filter although most people don't have problems with aftermarket filters if they're referencing OEM part numbers. What brand did you get? You might get it replaced without changing the oil and see if it's better. Don't forget to top up the oil (manual lists how much the filter holds so you know how much to top up).

And just looked at your title. Even if you've been using semi-synthetic for all engine's life you can easily switch to full synthetic without any damage, and it comes with a benefit of prolonging the oil change.

The use of 0W-20 came at the time Toyota introduced their Optimal Drive engines. The 1.33 Optimal Drive drivetrain went into the Auris late 2008, replacing the previous 1.4vvti. 0W-20 was Toyota's preferred oil for the 1.33 from day one, and they don't specify whether semi or fully synthetic should be used.

So shouldn't be an issue using 0W-20.

• Thanks 1

I no longer own the avensis,the car in question is a Toyota auris 2010 1.33vvti model.the "joke" regarding the mazda is because I left Toyota avensis/forum and now own a mazda. But thank you for your reply. 

Thanks frosty!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links