Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo water leak and recall

JD1972

Hi I just purchased an 07 aygo with he intention of keeping for my daughter to use in a year or so.  I checked the DVLA for MOT issues, however once I collected the car I checked again as i wanted to get it serviced and check if anything needed doing to make it safe.  I have noticed that the back seats have some mildew on and are damp and the on the drivers side back door on the bottom of the window seal is wet.   The car also smells horrid.  I also noticed that the DVLA showed up a safety recall - I called toyota about this and they said its to do with rear windows and that they are in the process of sending letters out to owners and working on finding a solution - how long is this likely to take and what can I do about the damp?  Already spent £500 on new tyres and a service.

As far as I'm aware Toyota offered an extended warranty covering water leaks to five years from first registration - which in your car's case would have been until 2012.

As you've just got your Aygo, did you buy it from a dealer (not necessarily Toyota)  or in a private sale. If from a dealer, you should be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - see 'The first six months' of the following:  https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

As regards the recent recall, it is for the rear side windows on the five door Aygo

• 3 months later...

Have you checked the boot/spare wheel well for water? If you find it wet, see my post 17th March '19

Btw. Our dealer did the rear wind recall while I waited.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On my 2007 Aygo, I removed the rear light clusters, cleaned the clusters and surrounding area on the car and using a good quality sealant refitted the clusters. Do the same for the top Blake light too. No further leaks or dampness since.

• 8 months later...

My Aygo was part of the recall for back window seal trouble, though I had noticed no dampness at the time. After the next service (2019) I responded to their 'How was your experience' questionaire by commenting that the car stalled easily in first and reverse and that it was excessively damp and smelly, getting no response. Some months later the car was smelling like a wet dog and I noticed the back seats were soaking, showing signs of mould, and further investigation revealed a puddle in the tyre well, too. I assumed it to be because of leaked water from rubbish bags on a trip to the tip - after all, they'd fixed the issue of leaks hadn't they? - and took out the back seat, treated it for mould and mopped up the water, putting in a dehumidifying kit.

Months later and I have just had to take out the back seat and mop up again, so I took in in to the dealer to question the efficiency of their recall work. The guy said it would be nothing to do with the windows and went straight to the light-strip above the door, saying, "That's yer problem right there, and there's a couple of airfilters behind the light clusters that'll need checking. We'll do a water check, for £70 and fixing it will come to about £300." So he already knew all about the design fault that was causing so many relatively new Aygos to be leaking water and yet was expecting me to cough up for repairs. Having just left the car with a friendly local garage, I am writing to Toyota about this to see what their response is. What chance do you think there is of them coughing up for the garage fees?

There have been so many posts on this subjec here, Facebook and on the C1OC about all the leaks on these cars. Firstly you need to get all the wet stuff dry, get the boot carpet and trim out as that may be soaking wet. Any carpet needs to be dried. The rear seat base comes out so might be worth taking indoors to dry. Carpet may be a lot wetter underneath than it appears on the surface so you have to get it up to get a blower under it and squeeze out the underlay (ours was like a sponge). Reseal the top brake light, the light clusters and the vents behind the bumper with silicone sealant. There are loads of tips online and youtube. I would give all the boot and door seals a clean and give them a wipe over with silicone grease so they are nice and flexible. Other people have reported leaks through the door Speakers and the roof aerial so worth checking where the water is coming in. If none of that has been done, it should fix the majority of the problem based on mine and other experiences. You are then into door/boot seals which are quite expensive.

Once sorted the smells go away and the windows dont mist up all the time. You can fix most of this for the cost of a tube of bathroom silicone from B&Q and a couple of hours of very simple mechanics.

People have had mixed results from the rear window recall with some saying it makes leaks worse. I need to get my daughters done as she has the 5 door but all is dry at the moment so loathed to make it worse again.

• 2 years later...

Hi

No one had mentioned the problem I have just found searching for the source of the leak in my wife's Aygo. There is a hole from the boot out into the wheel arch. From the factory it appears to be covered by a sticker. Driver side only apoarently, just above where the shock/suspension.

20230130_110204.thumb.jpg.479d3c2a6cc0fc5d77f60de9115d9548.jpg20230130_110445.thumb.jpg.90ea8ccbcf62463cb206b51b62294e6f.jpg

Stu.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just noticed excess condensation in my 64 reg aygo which I got in August. Found dampness in spare wheel well so I guess this is the cause and a known issue. As less than 6 months since purchased from Toyota dealer I am hoping they will fix at no cost to myself

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, Chriss27 said:

Just noticed excess condensation in my 64 reg aygo which I got in August. Found dampness in spare wheel well so I guess this is the cause and a known issue. As less than 6 months since purchased from Toyota dealer I am hoping they will fix at no cost to myself

Update - fixed by dealer - failed gromit in rear light cluster. 

• Like 2

The recall is due to the rear side windows on the 5 door failing and falling off. They just re-bond them. Makes zero difference to leaks/dampness. Follow the Youtube videos and other numerous posts on the subject for the bits that need sealing. Once done, it does stay dry. No fun drying carpets and sodden underlay this time fo year.

Now not fixed it’s still leaking in boot and damp patches on seats - it’s a 5 door Aygo. Fuming dealer said fixed when clearly not - obviously they assumed the back light was the only issue. Spoke to another Toyota dealer who said there are multiple possible fail issues. Apparently water leak was only an extended warranty repair at the time which may have expired despite the dealer who attempted to fix the issue says it still covered by 10 year watranty  and can be fixed by any Toyota dealer. Not sure who is correct here. I bought the car from a non local Toyota dealer hence the frustration having to potentially take it back to them under their 12 month used car warranty unless they pay  my local dealer to resolve