Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking sound from rear when cornering

NickDJ

Hi,

My Toyota Yaris mk1 (2003) 1.3l T3 has developed a strange knocking sound which appears to come from the rear.  Admittedly it's hard to pinpoint but sound like the rear.  Anyway, the knocking sound only happens when taking a left turn and is in time with the rotation of the wheel from what I can tell.  I did have a similar issue recently on the front which turned out to be a loose wheel!  I've checked the wheel nuts and none are loose.

Anyone have any suggestions what this may be?

Nick

Broken rear spring (rust)..  most likely . Ours had last year.

Or failed rear rubber bushes

Or failed shock absorber..

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm not a mechanic by any means although I worked in the motor trade and usually good at basic maintenance and troubleshooting.  I can understand your response in that when going around a lefthand corner, the driver-side is under compression and noise therefore could be attributed to suspension.  I'm curious however as the noise is in time with the rotation of the wheel rather than a clunking when going over a bump or adding additional compression.  It doesn't sound wheel bearing related and as far as I'm aware there aren't any CV joints on the rear.  Is there something else which could cause a dull clunking noise which gets slightly louder when taking a sharper corner?  It is hard to pinpoint the sound and I'm just hoping it's not coming from the front.  😕

Thanks for your help none-the-less and I will check out for rust and play on the suspension when I get the car jacked up.

Suggest you check the tyre for any lumps and bulges. Spin it when it's off the ground and check both sides. Could be some irregularity that's showing up a weak suspension bush.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links