Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driveshaft advice?

kuljit55

Hi guys, i have a 2003 Toyota Corolla (e12) 1.6vvti Manual Petrol. Earlier this evening was driving home from work. Stopped at traffic lights, and when i moved off, my gearbox struggled to go into 1st and i heard a crunch and grind, and car stopped. Engine started fine but while stationery in neutral i heard something grinding under engine. Breakdown came and had a look with torch and said your nearside driveshaft has snapped. I couldnt really see anything. So taking his word and planning to get driveshaft replaced.

So i wanted some advice, is it common for the gearbox to struggle to go into gear and cause driveshaft to snap at a move off?

Also i have seen 2 aftermarket driveshafts on eBay going for around £50 brand new.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152375814371

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132028468511

Was wondering if anyone has tried these and if they were any good, also any recommendations for any particular ones other than pricey Toyota ones?

Thanks

Hi,

Seems those n/s drive shafts are a regular-ish failure, the 1.8 TS guys seem to break them more often,  think a lot of the problem is it rusts under the damper that sits in the middle of the shaft and creates a weak point.  

Recently pushed mine back and found a load of rust under it.

Up to now have not heard of aftermarket ones, so those with both joints seem an absolute steal, think you have to give them try, they are a terrible price from Mr,T and a very scarce item from the scrappers.

An easy enough diy repair though you will have to get a good quality socket to get the shaft nut off and a suitable drift to release the washer.

Undoing the 3 bolts for the wishbone ball joint allows the shaft to come out of the hub, some folk say undo the lower strut bolts but that will affect the camber alignment.

Not sure about you problem with first, unless the shaft breaking has caused some damage to it ??

Be interested to  know how things go on....    ( at that price almost tempted to buy one myself , just in case !!)  

• Like 2

A couple of years ago the Toyota price for mine was about £600, but I didn't nead to replace them. So unless the £50 are from a bankrupt company, they sound just too cheap to be true, is dodgy.  Best to ask why are they so cheap.

However, about 30 years ago, I needed to buy a half shaft for my Hillman from a Rootes garage, the genuine Rootes price was about a tenth of the normal price, so I bougt two. Rootes were just clearing out old stock, so maybe Toyota are doing the same.

The half shaft was priced at just over £3!

• Like 1

My driveshaft snapped from the Rod so dont think its repairable.

The new driveshaft got delivered today, you can see in the images posted. Seems decent with 2 year warranty to be honest.

I will get it replaced by the weekend at latest. I have been recommended to change the transmission oil as well. I have not touched the Gear oil in the past 3.5 years of ownership. Wanted some advice if it would be good to do so? Also have brought some transmission oil from my local car shop (image below). Can someone please tell me if this is okay to use for my Corolla? Thanks

20181128_132050.jpg

20181128_132055.jpg

20181128_131112.jpg

20181128_131119.jpg

Hi,

The transmission and gearbox are one and the same, you will need 2 of those bottles as it takes 1.9ltr , the 75W / 90  gl4 /5 is the correct grade though no knowledge of Mannols quality.

The gear oil has a service life like anything else, 40k miles or 4 year, whichever first.

You have to drain  the gear oil before you take out the driveshaft or have an oil  shower !

You want to get the Haynes Manual Corolla 2002-6 which covers general servicing and driveshaft replacement etc, well worth the cost.

• Thanks 1

Mannol is supposed to be good Oil. If you change it, make sure you put in the correct amount of oil when cold to the hole level and on a flat surface else you'll have problems engaging gears!

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know how much is transmission oil is suppose to go in on the 2003 (e12) 1.6vvti Manual Corolla? I dont have the manual or service book either. Thanks

Hi,

As above , the book states 1.9 lts. for the 2002-2006 1.6 gearbox.

As DeTom says, you place the car on level ground, undo the gearbox filler plug , usually quiet tight, and let the oil run in using the pull up flexible pipe normally inside the bottle of oil, eventually it will overflow out of the filler plug, let the excess drain off and thats it.

You really should get that Haynes manual I mentioned above, lots of good diy  info.

• Thanks 1

Thanks i"ll make a note of that. Will update post after getting it fitted this saturday. Thanks again for all the advice 😃

Hi guys, got the Driveshaft fitted in successfully today. There was no issues with fittings or the driveshaft itself. Had to change the transmission oil, had old one drained out and put in 1.9L. Went smooth, thanks again Corolla fellows for all the help and advice.

• Thanks 2

Good to know as that will save others a lot of money if theirs break or probably cheaper /simpler if needing to renew the rubber boot or actual cv joints.  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hi Kuljit,

Not sure if you still use the forum or the Corolla, but wondered how those JR Driveshafts turned out - any good ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links