Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batteries... Batteries... Batteries

BatteryAndy

Hi Everyone,

I am looking specifically at the High Voltage Battery pack and am wondering if anyone has every had to replace one, I have gone through a large number of posts, but it actually seems a bit of a red herring when people worry about this ?

If anyone has had to replace one of the large Battery packs, can they share their experience (cost, warranty, source etc), even if you went for a reconditioned pack, or indeed had the inclination to swap out cells yourself.

Besides the dreaded warning light has there actually been a marked improvement in fuel economy or driveability after replacement ?

In the interest of full disclosure, I currently do not own a Prius, but have had a personal and professional interest in the hybrid vehicle market for years and have been looking at the older GEN2 to try and snap up a bargain. Personal because I love new tech especially the things that actually seem to work and do what it says on the tin as well as give benefits for the environment and professional because I actually am involved in the Battery replacement market in the UK (Lead Acid only at the moment unfortunately).

Thanks for any input you guys might have... good... bad or indifferent...

You might be interested in this video. It went up on YouTube just a few days ago. It's American, so the pricing and sourcing details isn't relevant to the UK, but he does very cleary show the process involved in a complete hybrid Battery swap. Very watchable!

<a>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RCdrh666w</a>

Bah, so long since I've been here I can't recall how to embed a link, but I'm sure you can paste it if someone doesn't fix it for me.

41 minutes ago, BatteryAndy said:

but it actually seems a bit of a red herring when people worry about this ?

It is, people believe the myth that the HV batteries are a consumable item, it's a fallacy perpetuated by ignorant people.

How many people factor in the price of having to change the engine (or even a turbo or HP diesel fuel pump) on an ICE only vehicle when buying a car?, they don't, that's because they know the vast majority of them will outlive the car, the same is true about the HV Battery.

There are lots of cars, especially taxi's, with many hundreds of thousands of miles on the original pack.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bibsy said:

You might be interested in this video. It went up on YouTube just a few days ago. It's American, so the pricing and sourcing details isn't relevant to the UK, but he does very cleary show the process involved in a complete hybrid battery swap. Very watchable!

<a>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RCdrh666w</a>

Bah, so long since I've been here I can't recall how to embed a link, but I'm sure you can paste it if someone doesn't fix it for me.

Thanks I did a cut and paste... video was interesting... a whole load of bolts but doesn't seem out of reach of a semi competent DIYer

Provided you can get a set of warranted cells like they do in the US for a decent price...

8 minutes ago, danowat said:

It is, people believe the myth that the HV batteries are a consumable item, it's a fallacy perpetuated by ignorant people.

How many people factor in the price of having to change the engine (or even a turbo or HP diesel fuel pump) on an ICE only vehicle when buying a car?, they don't, that's because they know the vast majority of them will outlive the car, the same is true about the HV battery.

There are lots of cars, especially taxi's, with many hundreds of thousands of miles on the original pack.

That is what I thought... with cars at 200K - 300K running around as taxis.. surely the Battery packs have lasted this length of time as I can see them scrapping the cars instead of replacing the Battery.

Or are they simply just running it with a bad Battery ... is that even possible ?

Yes, it's possible, the reduced capacity would give less time on HV power, and reduce economy.

The reality is, yes, batteries do fail (just like anything else does), but would the average Joe need to factor in the price of a replacement in it's lifespan?, I'd say no.

My 2012 has a HHC every year, and the capacity is still very good after 6 years, I can imagine it will keep going for much much longer.

I had a 2008 Gen 2 for 40,000 miles. My son took it over and took it to 185,000 miles when he PX'ed it for another Toyota hybrid in 2014.

My replacement 2009  Gen 3 did 135,000 miles before I changed it, also in 2014.

No problems and no sign of any reduction in capacity throughout their lives.

• 1 month later...

99.99% of traction batteries last the life of the car, ie several hundred thousand miles. I`ve heard of some going bad due to water entering the boot. It was on youtube. The guy stripped down the Battery unit and replaced the cells and the link bars and nuts etc.

If all this seams too much trouble, used batteries are available from damaged vehicles on eBay.

But overall, don`t worry about it.

I think age is more of a problem than mileage. At least in the US, the traction batteries often tend to start failing around 12 years old or so, but I can't say how many. Environmental conditions are a big factor - they're much more likely to fail in hotter climates, like in California and the southern states. They're much more likely to last in our temperate climate.

• Like 1