Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sheared stud when refitting EGR onto Avensis. Help please!

Nightblind

Hi, I have had a disaster and desperately need some help and advise. I was refitting the cleaned EGR valve and pipe back onto the engine and doing final tightening when one sheared off. I have attached pictures.

Car - Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2l 2006

It is the back stud so as far as i can see inaccessible from below and so i don't think this can be removed and replaced? Does anyone know if it can be removed - has it got a thread on it at the bottom? If so what is the part called ( I am presuming it is called a stud) and where do i get one?

I am not a mechanic but I have cleaned the EGR valve before (with a friend) so I knew the process and felt capable of cleaning it again myself. Everything was going fine but I completely did not think about torque and 'shearing' and obviously over tightened. The previous time the EGR was refitted by my friend who tightened all the bolts so obviously knew about torque etc.

Any advise would be great. 

The car is on a driveway at my home not in a garage/mechanics.

Thanks

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2714.jpg

•  
  •  

As there is enough metal protruding for the stud to be firmly gripped and removed. The thing is what do you have in your toolbox that could be used to attain this grip? Locking pliers, small pipe wrench or there is a tool called a stud extractor that can be bought,this is a tool I would hate not to have as when you need it is there Can you apply a flame to it safely as this can relieve some of the tension in the threads making it easier to remove

Del

Hi Crofter, Thanks for reply.

I need to find the part before i think of removing. I found a diagram (attached). Have searched the part number (92132-80865) but can't seem to find anything in UK, so maybe not the right part number and not sure what the part is called. 

If i can get the right tools, would it loosen? I would imagine it has some sort of seal lock adhesive put on at factory fitting and with 10 years of heat etc i can imagine it is quite solid? I don't want to end up shearing it off any lower.

I don't think heat is an option, i only have access to a hairdryer.

Would i be able to weld a lump on the top and thread it? or maybe drill and tap the top of the stud and the broken off bit, thread a connecting bar and screw them together? Or are these just mad and impossible ideas?

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION SYSTEM TOYOTA AVENSIS [ADT25#,AZT25#,CDT250,ZZT25#] (EUROPE).jpg

The stud is available separately, part number 92132-80865 £1.71 + vat at your local Toyota dealer

• Like 1

Afraid not Toyota repair guide states "use suitable stud extraction tool". Lots of videos on Youtube

Ok so here is the update, Called Toyota dealer for parts - hopefully arriving overnight. (was helpful to have the diagram as pictured above).

Sprayed a bit of WD40 at base of stud gave it a little wobble and it looked like there was movement. Only had a pair of pliers so got purchase and the stud just unscrewed! Was not the 'glued on solid, never going to come out' scenario i was dreading!

Hopefully will try and get it all back together tomorrow night and hope that the initial problem with the car was just that the EGR needing cleaning (and not something else) and that when i start it , everything will be resolved!

• Like 1

Glad it came out ok for you and new part coming, scary when something like that happens,raises the heart rate a bit! 😮good luck getting it sorted 👍

Yes it was pretty stressful but i didn't cry! I guess i am a lot stronger than i thought and have to admit i did not know anything about 'Torque'.

No one mentions 'torque' in any of the EGR cleaning videos or advise but then i guess if you do regular mechanics you know about this sort of stuff - i don't. I suppose its another new bit of knowledge and considering i will have to clean the EGR every 6-12 months its good to now everything!

As cleaning the EGR is a job most avensis users have to do maybe my experience will be helpful to others and they won't make my mistake.

• Like 1