Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar mounted winch

AEB-UK

Anyone use a towbar mounted winch for occasional off-road use?

If so, what size / capacity of winch?

Which RAV4? Hand or electric unit? Do you intend to use the car on public roads? There are off the shelf solutions for the Land Cruiser but as far as I know - you’d need to fabricate a bracket and mounting plate for a Rav. Owners have used a Suzuki SJ bumper and adapted to fit. In order to be legal you’d also need to fit a winch bumper to protect pedestrians in the event of an impact. Your insurance company may not be happy (ie would impose conditions and cost) and some companies may decline to insure.

hI,

It's a 2007. Electric winch. Intended for when occasional Greenlaning and to relieve unintended bogging down, hence no requirement for a permanent fitting.

The Rav is my Son's car.

There are many removable winches available which can be mounted on a standard tow ball. The removable tow ball is attached to a mount bolted to the front chassis leg. On the basis that the front tow eye mount is designed to be capable of towing the vehicle weight - a decent winch installation should be capable of handling a similar weight. Talk to someone like Watling Engineering about your requirements. I have no real knowledge of removable winches apart from the fact that they're heavy and difficult to manhandle!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links