Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Light failure indicator

gabemc1

Hey people.

I could not find anywhere any reference about a light bulb failure indicator on the new Yaris Hybrid. Do they not have it? I find it quite odd, as my 10-year-old Astra has this implemented. So, technically, if a rear bulb is blown, you will probably not notice it immediately. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Unless it's been changed, there isn't any form of warning about lamp failure. 

Toyota don't seem to go in for bulb failure warning lights, at least not on the models they sell in Europe. The only cars I've had them on were Volkswagens and they had a habit of telling me bulbs were blown when they weren't! 

And a warning light doesn't stop the driver's obligation to check all the lights are working, on a regular basis.

It's good to have a warning bulb light. My previous Audi and BMW have it. The Yaris lack a few features that I'd like, for example, no auto door lock. Can buy a simple device for that but I don't like how the hazard lights comes on when the gear is in reverse on that device. 

39 minutes ago, 007matt said:

It's good to have a warning bulb light.

...but not a necessity. 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:46 PM, yossarian247 said:

Toyota don't seem to go in for bulb failure warning lights, at least not on the models they sell in Europe. The only cars I've had them on were Volkswagens and they had a habit of telling me bulbs were blown when they weren't! 

It never occurred to me that our 2014 Yaris didn't have it!  I thought all modern cars had light failure warning indications.

How odd?

Mick

We change our cars every 3 years or so (21 new cars so far). Hondas, Hyundais, Mazdas, Nissans, and Toyotas. Ranging from a city car (Aygo),superminis, medium family car, large family car and to an MPV. Not one has had a bulb failure warning system.

Our Yaris D4D has been owned by us for 13 years. No bulbs have failed in that time..

Fiats have a warning light.  Maybe Italian bulbs are inferior to Japanese ones. 😃

Mick.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, Mick F said:

Fiats have a warning light.  Maybe Italian bulbs are inferior to Japanese ones. 😃

Mick.

I think it is the quality of the socket holding the bulb and the wiring. If the earth contact corrodes or the bulb contacts get damp, bulbs will fail. Constant vibration does not help.

I noticed when upgrading headlamp bulbs when I bought my Yaris (and my Jazz more recently) that both had electric grease liberally covering the terminals . I don't know if other makers do that..Makes contacts far less susceptible to corrosion.

• Like 1

We had a Fiat500 from October 2014 to September up until August 2017 when we bought our Yaris.

I changed the DRL bulbs six times ............. three times on each side.   The bulbs were dual filament - side lights/DRLs - the side light parts were fine.  It's a common problem and many folk turn them off via the controls on the dash.  I like them, so left them on ............... but at the price of hassle, though the bulbs were cheap enough if you knew where to buy them.

Mick.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, Mick F said:

Maybe Italian bulbs are inferior to Japanese ones.

German Osrams in mine from the factory. That doesn't mean they are superior though being German.🙄

• Like 1

Think it's to do with the not so good quality of the fiat component. I had an Audi A1 for 3 years doing 30k miles and not once did the drl go. In fact no other bulbs were blown at all, although I did not do too much night driving.