Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota T27 D4D 2.0 engine any good

Yannis_K

Hello everyone,

I am looking into a slightly used Avensis station wagon (model 2016) with the D4D 2.0 engine. My driving profile is 70% in the highway and 30& urban.

This engine is coming from BMW and this really concerns me because I intend to keep the car for a least 10years/200k miles. Are there any bad reports/reviews about it? Anything that should concern me?

Reliability and maintainability are important and definitely two of the main reasons that always chose to drive Toyota cars in the past.

Many thanks,

Yannis

Hey,

Toyota's designation of that engine is 2WW, but you won't find much.

The base engine is from BMW, N47D20, you can spend an hour or so looking at people's experiences with it. The gist of it is that these engines had big problems with timing chains, for which BMW had a campaign for but now it's cancelled. Since the car is from 2016, I'd guess that those engines don't have the timing chain problems anymore, although that engine is listed as being produced until 2014, so that's 2 years before Toyota still used it.

As for what (if any) modifications Toyota did to the base engine, I have no clue and someone more familiar with this could provide you with information.

Taking my experience with BMW engines, they like to use quite a bit of oil, and the service intervals are stretched too far so there are likely problems if owner did the changes on BMWs schedule and didn't check oil on a regular basis.

Also those engines stink, and I mean the exhaust gases. Haven't seen a beemer diesel that doesn't stink even when fully warmed up, probably they aren't as efficient as Toyotas engines. I can stand behind a Toyota diesel and not smell s thing.

Hello Byzii,

thank you for your reply. Probably BMW poor engineered N47D20 engine explains the low resell price of the car (at lease here in Germany). On the other hand, it is hard to understand how and why Toyota used such an engine if they knew it has a bad reputation.

Regards,

Yannis

6 hours ago, Yannis_K said:

Probably BMW poor engineered N47D20 engine explains the low resell price of the car (at lease here in Germany). On the other hand, it is hard to understand how and why Toyota used such an engine if they knew it has a bad reputation.

By the time that Toyota started using it supposedly BMW had fixed the chain issues plus they did modify it for their use.

It saved them a fortune in developing their own EU6 diesel when they had relatively low sales figures for diesel.