Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2011 Dcat White smoke problem

threepot

Did anyone solve the problem? No one has been clear about how they fixed it.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, ChristopherToyota said:

I took the 5th injector out and checked if it was in good condition. It looked brand new. When I bought the car the car's egr was completely blocked with black burnt fuel, which made me think "the black death" has reached to the 5th injector that could block the injector from spraying fuel. Is was wrong. It looked perfectly fine. As illustrated on the picture I could only get a tinny black stuff out, but that is normal, because you have to bare in mind it is fresh burnt fuel from the engine.
The smoke immediately got worse after I took the 5th injector out to inspect it by looks.

image.thumb.png.5efe6cf48f297955ca705efcd82cad99.pngIngen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

So my thoughts went towards the normal injector as I had read if the coding of the injectors is not correct it will cause smoke.
Keep in mind that the smoke was getting worse with time. In every single trip around the city, it would leave a cloud behind me. But I was still skeptical about the 5th injector that either spray too much fuel or it is completely locked. As shown in the picture, I tried to block the fuel that goes to the 5th injector.

image.thumb.png.6ae189696278d8b949e94de57af7f4cd.png

I drove 4-5 days with this mounted and there was no sign of smoke coming from the exhaust. There was sometimes some little buffs when I really press the throttle to the floor, but at least it was much better. The 5th injector also keep the exhaust temperatur high by spraying fuel, which helps the DPF regen. That means the 5th injecor didn't have the oportunity to get the exhaust temperatur high enough to help the DPF regen, which didn't lead to big clouds of smoke in the city and highway. It makes me think maybe the smoke is caused by the ECU not knowing when the DPF regen actually have to take place. 

Anyway, I took the clamp off today and the car did not smoke for the first few kilometers, but suddenly it smoked as it did before installing the clamp.

What do you think? Is the problem the 5th injector that sprays too much or too little fuel? Or is it the ECU that is planning the DPF regeneration in the city, which it not should do, because the DPF traditionally will regenerate whilst on the motorway?

Hi,  I am having the same issue.  I checked my Dpf at a local garage and it is working as it should be. Can you please tell me how did you remove the 5th injector?

20 minutes ago, Savi said:

Hi,  I am having the same issue.  I checked my Dpf at a local garage and it is working as it should be. Can you please tell me how did you remove the 5th injector?

Here is a guide to replacing it, kindly provided by @ToyotaGang on a thread I made. It is what I used to remove and replace my 5th injector.

Hope this helps! 

1574029470_975152715_5Thinjector(2).pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much @ToyotaGang and thanks a lot for Infiniti for sharing the  link 😄

No problem. After doing a month of reseach in Toyota fourms from different countries and Lexus clubowners. The only ways that seem to solve it was:

Updating the ecu

Rewire the DPF

Broken 5th injector wire

Broken air mass flow sensor

There is few forums of people who have solved issue have not been precise about the fix and stopped repleying anymore. It just seems like those who fixed they don't wanna give the fix or information away after have tried to contact some of them.

Hi Savi,
I have been in touch with different forums on facebook in my homecountry (Denmark). The Avensis t27 is a very popular car here. Anyway, I replaced the 5th injector and did many types of testing, and at the of the day the old injector used more fuel. That is also the reason people change it because of their poor milage. 

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

The old on the left and the new on the right. BUT THE SMOKE WAS NOT GONE. 
I was in touch with a kind person, who also replaced the 5th injector, but that didn't resolve his problem. After that he asked Toyota to change the old dpf for a brand new one, although there was no sign of a bad dpf. Exept for the smoke. FIXED.

In my case, I have just driven the car the last 2 months and it has got better. ALOT BETTER. But there is still some small puffs, whenever I drive many hours in the city, but nothing important. I don't think it is necessary to invest so much money to replace the dpf, because I have been through that once with my t25, and it is an expensive job.

12 hours ago, ToyotaGang said:

No problem. After doing a month of reseach in Toyota fourms from different countries and Lexus clubowners. The only ways that seem to solve it was:

Updating the ecu

Rewire the DPF

Broken 5th injector wire

Broken air mass flow sensor

There is few forums of people who have solved issue have not been precise about the fix and stopped repleying anymore. It just seems like those who fixed they don't wanna give the fix or information away after have tried to contact some of them.

My indie also reported a broken wire but wasn’t clear where. I thought my problem was fixed after coding out the fifth injector but maybe it was from repairing the break. 

On 1/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, Dippy said:

My fifth injector was goosed. Indie coded it out (also EGR to my surprise) and I have no more smoking - which I guess should correctly be called unburnt fuel vapour. 

Do you have any intructions on how this job can be performed? If not, where did you get this service?

Sorry no, I know it was a lot of hassle for my indie to get the right guy to do the job as normally one can’t hack into the system, it is locked.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, ToyotaGang said:

. After doing a month of reseach in Toy

Thanks for the quick answer. 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:53 PM, ChristopherToyota said:

Hi Savi,
I have been in touch with different forums on facebook in my homecountry (Denmark). The Avensis t27 is a very popular car here. Anyway, I replaced the 5th injector and did many types of testing, and at the of the day the old injector used more fuel. That is also the reason people change it because of their poor milage. 

I was in touch with a kind person, who also replaced the 5th injector, but that didn't resolve his problem. After that he asked Toyota to change the old dpf for a brand new one, although there was no sign of a bad dpf. Exept for the smoke. FIXED.

In my case, I have just driven the car the last 2 months and it has got better. ALOT BETTER. But there is still some small puffs, whenever I drive many hours in the city, but nothing important. I don't think it is necessary to invest so much money to replace the dpf, because I have been through that once with my t25, and it is an expensive job.

Thank you very much 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:53 PM, ChristopherToyota said:

Hi Savi,

One more question! From where did you buy the 5th injector? is it OEM or some after market one? Thank you

Replacing the 5th injector does not solve the issue. Only about 50 km then the smoke is back. I bought my 5th injector(OEM) from eBay and replaced it and the smoke is still there. 

2 hours ago, Savi said:

One more question! From where did you buy the 5th injector? is it OEM or some after market one? Thank you

Not sure if that is a “dodgy eBay” issue, but also there has been mention above of a broken wire, which my indie also mentioned in passing. I wonder if ultimately the problem is the injector, the wire, or the combination of both. The wire is presumably sending some readings, and the wrong readings might cause the smoke. I could even wonder if one causes the other, like the wrong readings mean the injector doesn’t heat and eventually blocks, or vice versa. 

I haven’t managed to look at the above PDF but can I say thanks for compiling it. This problem is huge across Toyota/Lexus and seems to lead to several otherwise great cars being dumped. If it can be fixed for well under a thousand, the solution will be useful to many. 

Yeah. There is a guy in a Lexus forum that solved the issue. He said the values for the DPF sensor was bad so he rewired the DPF sensor to the ECU and the smoke went away.

Very interesting discussion.

When I took my car to the Toyota dealer, the customer relation executive discussed wit the mechanic and  immediately told me that this is the problem with DPF and you need to change it. For me that answer was not convincing  because if there is some issue with the DPF then the car could through some error codes or some warning lights on the dash board. And I took the car to a local mechanic and he said  there is no issue with DPF and it is working properly. The DPF sensor is also doing its job. He asked me to wait till I get some error codes. So I am still waiting for the error code and the car keep running with some smoke in intervals. 

And I also saw one guy was commenting to a youtube video that this is the problem with outdated ECU software and if you update that to the latest then wont smoke.  I need to ask my local Toyota dealer how much does it cost to update the ECU software.

Savi it's not the full DPF, I had that and changed it and it wasn't making any difference to the smoking. With my full DPF it went into limp mode, Check Engine, Check 4x4 System etc. Note you can get aftermarket DPFs nearly as good as Toyota for well under half the price, the OEM DPFs are a rip-off in my opinion.

I was also told about updated software, Toyota did it for me for free, it didn't make much difference to the smoke either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Interesting reading. I have an issue with my 2.2 D-CAT. Puffs of white/Grey smoke maybe a tinge of blue. My mechanic thought this was oil being burnt. Although reading this it sounds more like it's the white/grey smoke. 

Any tips where to start? 

how many miles on it?

what kind of driving do you do (mostly urban or what)?

I would probably start with a good old "Italian tune-up" to give the DPF a good chance to regenerate.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, Dippy said:

Savi it's not the full DPF, I had that and changed it and it wasn't making any difference to the smoking. With my full DPF it went into limp mode, Check Engine, Check 4x4 System etc. Note you can get aftermarket DPFs nearly as good as Toyota for well under half the price, the OEM DPFs are a rip-off in my opinion.

I was also told about updated software, Toyota did it for me for free, it didn't make much difference to the smoke either.

How about cleaning DPF without removing it? How do I do with 2009 models? I cannot find access point to insert any cleaning liquid to DPF. 

I looked at this video but cannot find sensor on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdafcuTPD18&t=12s

Basically you get the engine hot then hold the revs fairly high 2500, 3000 for 15-20 mms or so, to burn stuff out.  
can be in a garage (noisy) or motorway (use a low gear for 10km. 

Hi Dippy, Thanks for the suggestion

I did it on highways, but no help with it. Thinking to disconnect the 5thinjector cable and connect to a spare injector to avoid the CEL. Some one mentioned this in some where. I don't know this would go or not.

I’ve got Avensis T180 with that engine and, it smokes like a chimney too sometimes.

The motorway thing doesn’t work, I’ve had many, many motorway runs and guess what, it doesn’t stop it.  Once as I was on the overrun, coming off the motorway, just approaching the off slip, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I had to drive home in limp mode. Luckily, it was only half a mile.

Now, I don’t let it bother me, if it starts to smoke, usually when under load in 2nd or 3rd, I just keep it at about 2,000 revs until it clears, which is only about 15 seconds.

I try to clean out the EGR valve and inlet manifold about once a year, I don’t put any snake oil in the tank and I always use supermarket fuel, which, my tanker driver mate tells me comes from exactly the same place as the big name stuff, i.e. Grangemouth refinery.

16 hours ago, Stivino said:

and I always use supermarket fuel, which, my tanker driver mate tells me comes from exactly the same place as the big name stuff, i.e. Grangemouth refinery.

yes, but the additive package will be different.

23 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

yes, but the additive package will be different

What  S̶n̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ additive package are you recommending? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links