Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Dcat White smoke problem

threepot

Steam comes from water, it is water vapour.

Diesel doesn't produce steam.

I don't want to say any more on the matter and I suggest that you don't either. 

What do you mean? Burning any hydrocarbon produces steam; CHx + O2 -> H2O+CO2. That's just basic chemistry.

Just to clarify tho', the second kind of white smoke I'm talking about comes from diesel sprayed in the exhaust that's not being burned properly. I don't know why it's white, but the mechanism is the same as the way they make airshow smoke (i.e. squirting diesel, paraffin or some other heavy oil into the exhaust) so this isn't weird or anything. This is normally denser than the steam kind of white smoke.

• Like 1

Okay keep disagreeing with my true FACTS. I'm telling the truth and I'm not talking out of my imagination. I got all of this info from a Toyota mechanic that knows about these engines a million times better than any of you.

How are any of you gonna say that the Toyota mechanics words are not true and how much experience have you guys????

I own a Avensis that has the same problem and I have experienced this. My car has 300.000 km on it and has never gotten a new DPF. What else could be causing the smoke??????

If it was anything else it would have caused a check engine light. A worn DPF cannot cause a check engine light because it is still free flowing. 

And yes diesel can vaporize Stivino. How would you not know that??? Blue smoke would have been oil and it’s not burning any oil. 

The ceramic filter looks like a honeycomb structure. This structure is covered with a layer of chemical catalyst that contains small amounts of precious metal, usually platinum or palladium, that interact with and oxidize pollutants in the exhaust stream (CO and unburned HCs), thereby reducing poisonous emissions.

Let me ask how much experience guys have with these engines???

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

unburnt diesel which eventually drains back into the oil sump

How does it manage to drain from the DPF to the sump?

Is the DPF connected to the sump by a pipe?

I've always wondered that myself! Maybe I understood it wrong, but there are so many posts about too much 5th injectored fuel into a blocked DPF making its way back into the sump and causing the oil levels to get too high, so it is definitely a thing...

e.g.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150250-2010-yaris-d4d-problem/https://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/threads/dpf-causing-2-0cdti-engine-oil-to-rise.477585/

https://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/threads/dpf-causing-2-0cdti-engine-oil-to-rise.477585/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/49493/why-does-diesel-drain-into-the-sump-on-cars-with-a-clogged-dpf-

maybe not on this engine, the 5th injector inject directly in the exhaust 

My take on this problem is not necessarily changing the DPF because it's quite expensive but changing the DPF sensor and the fifth injector and cleaning the exhaust manifold between the fifth injector and the turbine and using techstream to force 2-3 consecutive dpf regens maybe once a month (it's quite simple to do this even standing still and revving over 3000 after forcing regen through thechstream. This approach has worked for me but as I said, if this doesnt work for anyone else I suspect the main injectors, the MAF sensor or the turbo. 

1 hour ago, ToyotaGang said:

Let me ask how much experience guys have with these engines???

You first, engrave your reply on the head of a pin using a large chisel, please.

I think it would be a good idea for members to have to put their level of learning/training in their profile so that other members would have an idea of whether any advice given would have any value.

Hang on until I get my popcorn...............

3 hours ago, Stivino said:

You first, engrave your reply on the head of a pin using a large chisel, please.

I think it would be a good idea for members to have to put their level of learning/training in their profile so that other members would have an idea of whether any advice given would have any value.

I have a car and a problem. Also my online search skill is over 1000. 🙂

Check the wiring to the sensors. My indie found a broken wire so the sensor values were all wrong. But he also blanked the EGR and coded out the fifth injector, so I can’t say which step was the deciding one! Car no longer smokes, but from outside it does whiff of unburned diesel. Passed our MoT though. 

I'm thinking about the wires too, they are in a hot zone with the turbo ans the dpf 

I've orderer the connector and I'll change the wires to the ECU

15 minutes ago, Dippy said:

Check the wiring to the sensors. My indie found a broken wire so the sensor values were all wrong. But he also blanked the EGR and coded out the fifth injector, so I can’t say which step was the deciding one! Car no longer smokes, but from outside it does whiff of unburned diesel. Passed our MoT though. 

Reading between the lines, your “indie” didn’t know what the fault was either.  But, he found a broken wire so he blanked the EGR valve and coded our the 5th injector, of course it doesn’t smoke now but the fault is still there.

4 minutes ago, Jeya said:

I'm thinking about the wires too, they are in a hot zone with the turbo ans the dpf 

I've orderer the connector and I'll change the wires to the ECU

The wires are designed to be in a hot zone, they are not ordinary wires like the wires in the rest of the vehicle.

Probably ToyotaGang is right, i still read that people remove and clean DPF but problem starts again in few months.
This mean that for one or other reason DPF is not working correctly right?

Is the cleaning not good?

I watch some videos for cleaning of DPF and the commercial single product was not performing well but some DIY methods with prewash give almost perfect results. 

17 hours ago, Jeya said:

my DPF is brand new, with about 3000 km, and still smoke 

Uh, since ECU want to trigger 5-th injector then smthng is tell or lie that regeneration process must be initated. 
As far as i know differential sensor is responsible for this and with the two temperature sensors ECU see how it's doing.

Do you have a way to check your wiring and or sensor for fault before you replace wiring?
It's crystal clear that Toyota was in rush with D-CAT but why they don't step in and make smthng to fix the issue. Why we have to become diesel engineers to solve issue by our self...
Or they know the answer and don't want enlight us on purpose becuse of claims from us....

I've moniroted the values of the differential sensor with techstream. I've shaked the sensor and the value changed from 0.2 kPa to 0.9 kPa

so I've decided to order the connector and I'll change the wires up to the ECU

Does anyone know where the 'monitor' values for the 'exhaust gas recirculation /VVT' come from in tech stream? Picture shows a fail on the temperature reading. I too am chasing the smoke issue and wonder if this could trigger the 5th injector to excessively fire. My exhaust temperatures are correct in the order of 500c so this one must be from an 'fresh' air intake, I have removed, cleaned and tested intake air temperature sensor FAE 33236 located below the EGR and this showed the correct resistance value whilst at room temperature and being heated so don't think it is that. I have also changed the EGR so don't think it has any internal temperature sensors.

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_4118.HEIC

For those who have no access to the Apple *.heic files i have attached the image from Andy D4D

IMG_4118.jpg

• Like 1

based on this chart i am going to try and trick the DPF sensor by mounting a simple resisitive voltage divider to decrease the voltage read by the sensor by aprox.10%.  has anyone done this before? 

Description DTC P1425 DTC P1427 DTC P1428

image.thumb.png.e3e182457dcf29d7260a3d55f5e0d5bc.png

• Like 1

Hi from Denmark

For about 2 years ago my Avensis 2.2 D-CAT 180hp - 2007 (356.000 Km) started to smoke a mix of grey /white and maybe a little blue smoke.

The smoking mostly occurs when the engine is about 60-75 C degrees and when the engine is at idle temperature the smoking stops. It all takes around 2 min. 

Sometimes when I make a "heavy" acceleration I see a bit white /grey smoke, but not when I'm running idle speed.

Also sometimes I have experienced that the engine is hesitating when I accelerate. (Knock on wood) This I have experienced maybe 15 times  over the 2 years.

Told the mechanic at the Toyota workshop, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine. No oil leak, nothing in the OBD and nothing other obvious failure. They said it was probably the DPF doing regeneration never mentioned or suggested that the DFP needed to be changed.

I had a defect flame washer on one of the injections (Piezo) making the engine do a "knocking" sound, but this was replaced and the "knocking disappeared. Also had a HYDRIVE engine clean at the same time which made the engine run more smoothly, but it's still smoking.

I can see many of you are talking of the 5 injector as part of the problem and trying to "block" it and do some testrun. Question: how long time can I drive with this blocked without damaging anything? 

Hi I'm also writing from Denmark

Blocking the 5th injector would not be such a great idea. Without the 5th injector the DPF cannot regenerate properly. But from what I know and heard the DPF is worn. Has your car ever gotten a DPF? My car also has this problem but I have just driven it like that .

29 minutes ago, ToyotaGang said:

Hi I'm also writing from Denmark

Blocking the 5th injector would not be such a great idea. Without the 5th injector the DPF cannot regenerate properly. But from what I know and heard the DPF is worn. Has your car ever gotten a DPF? My car also has this problem but I have just driven it like that .

Hi ToyotaGang

Never had the DPF replaced since Toyota insists there is no problem with the DPF. 

I'm actually unsure whether the regeneration is working at all. Some years ago when it was regenerating, the power was lowered  and the engine would hesitate accelerate until the regeneration was over (took around 10-15 km i think), but I don't think I've experienced this since the engine started to smoke (cant remember).

In November 2021 the car went through the periodical vehicle inspections and all the test from the exhausting was fine. No pollution and the particulate emissions was under 0,005 g/km as the guidance for inspection of DPF. 

So what the he.. is wrong?

I was thinking of doing a homeclean of the DPF, but is a bit unsure how difficult it is.

hi everybody

for those who changed the 5th injector, have you cleaned the hole in the cylinder head  ? 

I've checked it, it was almost clogged on mine.