Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2011 Dcat White smoke problem

threepot

Cleaning 5-th injector hole helps fuel to be delivered as steam instead of leak but not more, it helps a bit to regeneration response and economy.  It is not unusual this hole to be cloged. Proper cleaning need spiral brush with correct diameter smthng like spiral brushed for smoking pipe.

I still think that the issue is in ECU and the way and conditions it start the regenertion process. 

Btw any one know is there second catalyst before front exaust?

2022-01-27_101702.thumb.png.20bab8d6e3c030a742084714104eb85e.png

Is this resonator or second catalyst converter ?

I removed my 5th injector and found the inlet hole blocked with soot... I cleaned it out with a small metal point and EGR aerosol (but wish I'd seen the above post as a pipe cleaner would have been better since its a deep hole so really not sure how much further its blocked.)

I fitted a new 5th injector whilst it was out but I think measuring 7.5R it was probably okay.

First test drive resulted in smoke 😞 but it was more bursty on/off compared to loads of smoke before. I'll use it this week and look again next weekend, hoping if the blocked hole is slightly less blocked the diesel will clean further...

I'm thinking I could also add the original injector back connected to power only and left taped up to confirm all smoke stops so its not from anything else.

@Gungod its the oxidation catalyst according to this useful link

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

• Like 1

Today that what happened to my car! Same values -5 the 2nd injector and the other +0.8. Changed the injenctor with new one

I've tried something. I've changed the wire from the differential pressure sensor, up to the ECU. The differential sensor correction changed from -0,5 to 0. I haven't tested on the road yet

On 2/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, Jeya said:

I've tried something. I've changed the wire from the differential pressure sensor, up to the ECU. The differential sensor correction changed from -0,5 to 0. I haven't tested on the road yet

😲 Could that be?  Did you test circuit of replaced wires?
I still think that the problem can be in the thing that say ECU to start Regeneration without it realy need it!

with techstream , I've seen that the differential pressure sensor values changed when shaking the sensor and wires. From 0.2 kPa to 0.9 kPa.

I haven't tested yet with this modification

Having replaced the 5th injector I can confirm no change the smoke still fills up my rear view!

So I decided to connect the original 5th injector to the electrical connection and secure it out the way with no fuel pipe connected (the fuel pipe was going to the 5th injector in the engine with no power). Guess what NO SMOKE. I have driven around my daily journey which always start smoking at the same point and clear exhaust all the time. This proves my smoke was the 5th injector probably over fuelling the question now is what was triggering it to spray the diesel. My DPF differential pressure is low showing the DPF is not full/blocked, I have no engine codes but I do have the EGR temperature error which I shared a picture of a short while back from tech stream. I am really keen to find this sensor and clean and test it, if anyone knows about this please reply.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Andy D4D said:

Having replaced the 5th injector I can confirm no change the smoke still fills up my rear view!

So I decided to connect the original 5th injector to the electrical connection and secure it out the way with no fuel pipe connected (the fuel pipe was going to the 5th injector in the engine with no power). Guess what NO SMOKE. I have driven around my daily journey which always start smoking at the same point and clear exhaust all the time. This proves my smoke was the 5th injector probably over fuelling the question now is what was triggering it to spray the diesel. My DPF differential pressure is low showing the DPF is not full/blocked, I have no engine codes but I do have the EGR temperature error which I shared a picture of a short while back from tech stream. I am really keen to find this sensor and clean and test it, if anyone knows about this please reply.

Thanks

Andy that is what i wanted to do with my fifth injector.

but i suppose that this action will block the dpf eventually so i think its a good idea to do a forced regen now and then.  and by forced regen i mean revving the engine at 3000rpm and keeping it there for 10 min. i did this with techstream software monitoring the temps and its all good.  

i have a question for you: how is the mileage with the 5th injector blocked?

i think the problem could be in the software for the ecu that fuels the fifth all the time the exhaust temp is not optimal. so i am guessing that in the cold morning it sprays  diesel on the exhaust and maybe because of the soot on the exhaust manifold, the diesel doesnt light up immediately an then  the smoke appears.

i actually have a little techstream movie i recorded with this problem cause i wanted to troubleshoot.

so in the below movie, the smoking starts at 1:30 sec. when the coolant reached 56 deg.C and usually stops when the exhaust temp reaches 220-250 deg.C

here is the movie:  

• Like 1

so now look at this: 

image.thumb.png.afee038d5bc5c4e345154ff06884effd.png

the recorder values are almost spot on at iddle and 2500rpm and greater but not a tragedy at 4500rpm.

so i dont think the damned DPF is blocked. its the fifth injector (i replaced the 5th, the maf sensor and the dpf sensor). 

@velles2003 Looking above pic and i can't get smthng how @2500rpm without load 1.800 kpa is ok but @3000 if more than 0.4 is not ? huh! What i am missing ?

• Like 1

@velles2003 great reply, thank you.

So I wasn't thinking removing the 5th injector to be a permanent solution although its interesting to see a 'passive' DPF regen could be possible through high revs (I note you recorded 250'C, but I think active regen reaches +500'c...so not sure if that would clean enough??) 

I removed the 5th injector to confirm the smoke was not coming from the engine injectors as other threads suggest that can be a cause. The good news for me is I still see NO smoke so am convinced this is the cause, I next need to find out why, if possible, its frequently injecting diesel into the exhaust.

I also had a thought that I could add a switch with a 7.5R resistor to allow me from within the car to switch the injector on/off. This way I could allow a 'active' regen once a month for example, or have some fun and turn the smoke back on when needed :-)

So the fuel consumption is looking better, I won't give figures yet as I've not covered enough miles to get an average but I'm sure spraying all that diesel out the exhaust would add up! The car may also feel a touch more responsive so I wonder if the common rail fuel pressure is higher without that leak.

I'll continue driving without the 5th injector connected and keep an eye on the DFP differential pressure readings to see if its increasing over time or in fact manages to keep itself clear through my routine journeys. 

Oh. In this recording I have only observed when the smoke is produced... Not trying a regen. I did that other time and the Temps were near 500deg after a few minutes. Now I was trying to see if my dpf sensor values are OK. 

@Gungod the pic shows the normal recorded values for a real car, but i think the atmospheric conditions have a say in this. The dpf values are proportionally with the MAF sensor and i saw my MAF values higher because it was cold outside.

Foe example at idle: at 5 degrees C MAF: 11g/s, at 15 degrees, MAF: 5-6g/s

Anyway at 2500rpm i had 1.8kPa and at 4500 had between 5.4-6.5kPa, and the normal is 4.93.

And this is a 10 year car with dpf worn for 230 000km. And still.. It smokes. And smells like diesel. I hate it because it smokes right when i hit traffic and if the wind blows.. I can smell my cars diesel farts, and so do everyone else. 

My guess is that ecu sprays diesel because its cold and the exhaust needs to get to optimal non polluting temp as soon as possible. In the summer never saw the smoke. 

I tried updating ecu myself but didnt work, i think because of the cable. 

I am more of a dyi guy because here, mechanics are hard to convince to dismantle the exhaust and clean the manifold. Or take our the dpf to clean. They just want to change the oil and some bulb. Easy stuff. 

yes it used to smoke on long journey and short journeys

@Jeya Good news, what did you change? do you have a part number or picture ?

I've changed the differential pressure sensor connector 

and changed the wire from this connector to the ECU

Hey Andy, I removed the Power supply for 5th injector and plugged it outside into an old one. Offcourse no smoke as I was certain by the smell of diesel that this was the problem.

Was thinking about getting a connector to setting this up for a regular thing. I don't understand what you mean by "7.5R resistor". It's a 7.5 ohm resistor shorting the wires instead of the injector? 

I think this is not a long-term solution.

The Exhaust Fuel Addition FB value will rise , and you'll go in limp mode whit a high value.

Hello from Finland . I have similar problems just like you forum members. Sorry my english is bad!!  🙈

I keep this short.

2012 2.2 Dcat, Automatic. 2AD-FHV

DPF good. Headgasket changed (typigal problem) 

1. Toyota dealer changed 5th injector. No change to smoking.

2. Toyota dealer changed 4 pieces main injector. No change to smoking.

3. Sensor changed, Maf. Lampda,differential pressure sensore.  No change to smoking.

THEN I BURNED MY NERVE  and start my own investigation. Over 2500rpm no smoking, engine tempature under 60celsius no smoking, speed under 60km/h no smoking. Okay i started thinking why my car smoking over or under of these values. I clean EGR valve. No change to smoking. I tried cloged 5th injector. Nooooo change to smoking... Okay.  Then i cloged EGR. NO SMOKE.  First 500km two times engine warning light, but i deleted them. Now i have driven about 3000km with cloged EGR. No smoke. No warning lights. The Problem is gone. 😍

The problem started when car had gone 250tkm. Now i´s gone 290tkm and problems would seems to be gone.

GOOGLE is my friend in this story.

Teemu

Finland, Lapland. Santas´s neighbor

On 2/14/2022 at 6:00 PM, Jeya said:

I think this is not a long-term solution.

The Exhaust Fuel Addition FB value will rise , and you'll go in limp mode whit a high value.

Yes. Did get an error p2002 today but not limp mode. I deleted the error by torque app and obd and it's fine now. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links