Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Dcat White smoke problem

threepot

On 2/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, velles2003 said:

Hey Andy, I removed the Power supply for 5th injector and plugged it outside into an old one. Offcourse no smoke as I was certain by the smell of diesel that this was the problem.

Was thinking about getting a connector to setting this up for a regular thing. I don't understand what you mean by "7.5R resistor". It's a 7.5 ohm resistor shorting the wires instead of the injector? 

Yes so when the injector was disconnected the car would not start so I assumed as the injector measured 7.5 ohm's then yes you could fit a resistor inline instead of the injector that would trick the car.

I ended up buying a spare injector as I wondered if mine was sticking, so ended up just leaving this hanging on.

Anyway as you all say this is not a permanent fix it was just to confirm its related to the smoke. Next I'm going to check the wiring resistance from the DPF differential sensor to the ECU as @Jeya suggested. This makes sense if it's partially broken and giving the ECU false information and firing the 5th injector. The readings in Techstream seemed stable but still worth a check I think.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, T_Ruokojarvi said:

Then i cloged EGR. NO SMOKE.  First 500km two times engine warning light, but i deleted them. Now i have driven about 3000km with cloged EGR. No smoke. No warning lights. The Problem is gone. 😍

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GOOGLE is my friend in this story.

Hey Teemu, you are one lucky bast...rd! 😄 How google helped you in this case so you closed EGR gate ?
I really can't understand how this can help. Someone had ideas ?

17 hours ago, Andy D4D said:

This makes sense if it's partially broken and giving the ECU false information and firing the 5th injector. The readings in Techstream seemed stable but still worth a check I think.

Maybe when you drive car wires goes ding dong shake banging around and loose connectio. But loose connection is one and different reading something else or not ? If wire don't give connection it will triger differential sensor missing right ?

3 hours ago, Gungod said:

Hey Teemu, you are one lucky bast...rd! 😄 How google helped you in this case so you closed EGR gate ?
I really can't understand how this can help. Someone had ideas ?

Hello. Because EGR doesn't work with high RPM. Atleast i think so and so does google also 😅 

I also think my car's egr cooler is litle bit clogged. So i think exhaust fumes doesn't cool down enough 🤔 

I am not sure about this but at least this worked for my car. 🙈

Yeah... So I found a solution in the end. Removing the DPF and remapping the ecu. I wanted to clean or change the DPF. The mechanic said the DPF is melted and full and i can't clean it. An aftermarket one was 500€ but it would only last for a few tens of thousands of km and a new OEM one is quite expensive at 2000€.

So the cost was 250€ to do the thing: removing the DPF and cutting and removing the interior damaged cartridge. And then remapping ecu to ignore dpf and fifth injector. The good news is there is not even a puff of smoke even in full throttle. I haven't seen a single indicator that there is something different. It is a little bit more louder at full throttle. I haven't really noticed an improvement of power or in consumption. But I did just a quick drive. I will update if anyone is interested. 

Anyway. This worked for me. I think if one could afford, the DPF should be changed with an oem one. 

Yes, this is possible but emisons will be high and is realy final solition.
Since most of our DPF are still good i prefer to find what was wrong and fix it.

Anyone know how we can stop ECU from starting automatic regeneration? 
What if we connect both ends of diferential preassure sensor with same tube? 

Omw to put ball vavle on fifth injector fuel pipe. 😈 But this is not best sollution since when auto regeneration start ECU also affect the work of main injectors. 
EGR-OFF will follow....

Why Toyota don't want to tell us what is the damn issue .....

8 minutes ago, Gungod said:

want to tell us what is the damn issue .....

9 minutes ago, Gungod said:

Why Toyota don't want to tell us what is the damn issue .....

Maybe it would cost them money? 

a little feedback 

after about 300km, sometimes some smoke but only in certains condition

engine almost warm, and only if I accelerated over 2000rpm

it also smoked when i restarted the engine after lunch or a little pause

but I think it's really better

On 2/22/2022 at 3:27 PM, Stivino said:

Maybe it would cost them money? 

But they can write it on the piece of paper and put it on the place we can see it so we all sleep well right ? 😄 

I created valved 5th injector hose/pipe and replaced original. This way when i am in city valve is off and when i go on long trip valve is on so it can regenerate. Total of 20 Euro for used 5th injector hose, new valve, new FKM o-rings for valve, and one beer as labor 😄 No smoke now.

694189192_5thinjectorhose.thumb.jpg.46fb0c87f627a6495dbfb662d398cfb1.jpg

Got questin, since following conditions:

For Nitrogen oxides removal. " The control unit calculates the theoretical accumulated volume of NOx on the basis of fuel consumption, air flow and exhaust gas temperature, and if necessary enriched mixture by main injectors and the exhaust fuel injector. 

and

For Soot removal. "The control unit determines clogging of the filter by analysis of driving conditions and the differential pressure sensor data and activates main injectors and the exhaust fuel injector."

and

For Sulphur removal "The control unit calculates the theoretical sulphur content of the converter on the basis of total data volume injection and optionally enriching the mixture by operating all injectors."

Q: How to check when main injectors are used during these processes? What parameter i have to look to see when main injectors are used for regenerating process?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, Jeya said:

it also smoked when i restarted the engine after lunch or a little pause

Isn't this from bad valve seals? You can try Bardahl additive for this and if smoke stop to leave it this way or to replace valve seals...

14 minutes ago, Gungod said:

Isn't this from bad valve seals? You can try Bardahl additive for this and if smoke stop to leave it this way or to replace valve seals...

it smoke after 2 or 3 km

I think if it's because of valve seals, it would smoke directly after starting the engine

Hi there i have a 2002 jtd d4d yaris, i took injectors out just after Christmas to clean carbon from nozzles after issues in accelerating up hill and general sluggishness, but while trying to get them out i mistakenly unscrewed the top solenoid bolt, after getting them out i took apart as per injector diagram, and replaced one ball seat which had broke. Then car wouldn’t start i think i knocked glowplugs when removing injectors, now after weeks of struggle drilling through head as 3 were welded in i have now redrilled and tapped holes and reassembled with hylomar on body and aluminium grease on threads, still no start, i have techstream just wondering what i need to check and reset

cheers

greg

Edited by gregpearce32
Grammar

I am not sure someone can help you in this thread Greg sice we discus specific issues for 2AD-FHV engines. You done a lot of mess and probably something you not notice.
Better bring your injectors to test stand and check them. Glow plugs are not so important, if car is ok you can start also without them.

16 hours ago, Jeya said:

it smoke after 2 or 3 km

I think if it's because of valve seals, it would smoke directly after starting the engine

Agreed!

I forgot to mention that mpg went down just after i put the valve 😄 I tiny but down!

no smoke at all since the last modification. maybe because the weather have changed...

I try to not reach 2000 rpm during the warming of the engine. 

On 3/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, Jeya said:

no smoke at all since the last modification. maybe because the weather have changed...

I try to not reach 2000 rpm during the warming of the engine. 

It would be really nice if at the end is harness issue 🙂 
You not removed old cables right, you instaled additional? Can you test old wires some how ?
I will try this with mine while shake the car some how with history record ON with multimeter to if vibrations cause loss in signal.

6 hours ago, Gungod said:

It would be really nice if at the end is harness issue 🙂 
You not removed old cables right, you instaled additional? Can you test old wires some how ?
I will try this with mine while shake the car some how with history record ON with multimeter to if vibrations cause loss in signal.

yes, I installed additionals cables. I can't test the old wires for the moment, my multitester is not working anymore... 

I've identified the problem with techstream, the values changed while shaking the wires. maybe your multimeter can be fast enough to show a lost signal

• 5 weeks later...

So as it was a nice sunny day I took off the inlet manifold to see how much soot had built up.

This is from my 2.2 D-Cat with 80K Miles on clock, unknown if ever cleaned, hoping for a little improvement in performance/economy now the engine can breath a little better 🙂

inlet after.jpg

inlet before.JPG

On 4/14/2022 at 12:16 PM, Andy D4D said:

So as it was a nice sunny day I took off the inlet manifold to see how much soot had built up.

This is from my 2.2 D-Cat with 80K Miles on clock, unknown if ever cleaned, hoping for a little improvement in performance/economy now the engine can breath a little better 🙂

inlet after.jpg

inlet before.JPG

good job ! 

tell us if you've seen any improvement 

Mine was same, and i notice no differece for mileage or power... So this only remind me to turn EGR off....

So one week in and no noticeable difference in performance (it still pulls like a train) but I have seen 3-4mpg increase on the built in computer (I'll wait until I refill then calculate more accurately) however the big change is after having reconnected the 5th injector I've seen no white smoke clouds.... and before the work this happened daily like clock work at the same point in my journey, its only been a week so will keep an eye out in my rear+side windows ..

On 4/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, Andy D4D said:

So one week in and no noticeable difference in performance (it still pulls like a train) but I have seen 3-4mpg increase on the built in computer (I'll wait until I refill then calculate more accurately) however the big change is after having reconnected the 5th injector I've seen no white smoke clouds.... and before the work this happened daily like clock work at the same point in my journey, its only been a week so will keep an eye out in my rear+side windows ..

Smoke returned.. so 5th injector disconnected again whilst thinking what's next...

What DPF you all have? First or second gen? Prob first one is defective as in Australia case?

Mine is 25051-26020 the very first model later replaced by 25051-26031