Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Dcat White smoke problem

threepot

On 5/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, Gungod said:

What DPF you all have? First or second gen? Prob first one is defective as in Australia case?

Mine is 25051-26020 the very first model later replaced by 25051-26031

I've bought my car with the 25051-26020 version, and I changed it by the latest version, because i thought it was clogged

now, and after a lot of test, no smoke for the last 500 km

@Jeya I the smoke is produced when the car does the DPF regeneration, this seems to happen every day. After a ECU reset it might not regenerate the first day but then its back to smoke and regeneration soon after.

@GUNDOGI assume it the first gen, not sure how to check but my car is a 2007

does it smoke even in warm weather  ? 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jeya said:

does it smoke even in warm weather ?

Oh yes, like a chimney! 😞

• 3 weeks later...

I put EGR off plate and applied EGR OFF software update (it give error and cut power without it). After this i starter manual regeneration.

So far no smoke or indications for regeneration. 
I done EGR OFF because 1000km after cleaning the inlet manifold i removed the EGR pipe for inspection and it has accumulated 1mm soot inside........ It is not normal DPF to be blasted with such big amounts of soot particles, it will definitely get clogged faster and trigger regeneration and prob white smoke issues. So far i will delay removing of DPF.....

• 1 month later...

The Avensis from 2003-2009 and the 2009-2012 have different ECU's with different engine mapping. 

Now we know that it's not a ECU related problem otherwise both of the cars would't share the same issue.

But the two model share the same DPF and powerplant, which makes sense that the exactly same engine carried over the issue to the 2009 model. 

My money is on the DPF as It is the only part that usaully gets long term wear. A ECU will in most cases not go bad. 

We know that the problem is not in the ECU or software. I asked a Toyota mechanic and he told there came a update to fix the issue but It did not work. They also told me that the cause of this smoke is the DPF.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My Avensis DCAT 2020 235K  was giving time by time blue smoke. I have disconnect the connector of the fifth injector. The smoke is history! 😃

Tested now for 3 months and a about 5000 kilometers.

Detail: with the fifth injector connected, on the cruise control with 80 km/h, the fuel economy display on the dash, gave about every 250 meter a small peak.

With the fifth connector disconnected, the fuel economy display on the dash is stable under the same conditions!

I'am using software that error codes suppressed. 

Iff you are not able to change the software, try to disconnect the fuel line of the fifth injector.

Before this mod, I allready removed the DCAT filter and closed the EGR. Using a K&N. With all these modifications I can ride now 760 km on a fuel (diesel)  tank instead of 560 km!

The engine is running much smoother.

Marco

I thought that whilst it's not illegal to remove the DCAT it is illegal to drive without one with a fine of £2500? 

don't just disconnect the fuel line of the 5th injector, at least just for a test

ECU will adjust the "exhaust fuel addition FB" value, and go in limp mode 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, Jeya said:

don't just disconnect the fuel line of the 5th injector, at least just for a test

ECU will adjust the "exhaust fuel addition FB" value, and go in limp mode 

I put valve on 5-th injector pipe and no errors at all. EGR OFF applied (software and hardware).

So far i note that "exhaust fuel addition FB" value stay most of time to 1.45 without all above during normal condition it stay 1.25.

I have also black smoke when i accelerate hard on first, second and 3rd gear now. 

During force Regeneration exhaust teperature stay near 500C and i think it cant reach temperature (over 500) to do proper regeneration.....

Maybe defective DPF like the one in Australia, so far Toyota here say all is ok ....... shame ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, Gungod said:

I have also black smoke when i accelerate hard on first, second and 3rd gear now.

Now i suspect for this changing of Petrol station but will have to confirm it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i've some white smoke sometime, but only in cold weather and after a restart.

So I've decided to open one thing : egr cooler.

and I think I've found something...

before egr cooler

572a.jpg

after egr cooler :

k7s5.jpg

mcak.jpg

the coolant seems to leak inside the egr, it explain the white smoke 

Why do you think it is coolant? 

Do you have high oil consumption and if yes how much ?

no oil consumption

the egr coolant work with the engine coolant. I've another used egr cooler from the same engine, and the exit is as clean as the entrance.

mine is dirty at the exit.

1380710180_ScreenShot2019-04-24at18_46_0

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, Andy D4D said:

Having replaced the 5th injector I can confirm no change the smoke still fills up my rear view!

So I decided to connect the original 5th injector to the electrical connection and secure it out the way with no fuel pipe connected (the fuel pipe was going to the 5th injector in the engine with no power). Guess what NO SMOKE. I have driven around my daily journey which always start smoking at the same point and clear exhaust all the time. This proves my smoke was the 5th injector probably over fuelling the question now is what was triggering it to spray the diesel. My DPF differential pressure is low showing the DPF is not full/blocked, I have no engine codes but I do have the EGR temperature error which I shared a picture of a short while back from tech stream. I am really keen to find this sensor and clean and test it, if anyone knows about this please reply.

Thanks

So I've been driving around now for a while without the 5th injector connected and no smoke, so that was definitely the source. Sometime the DFP filled up and the engine light came on which meant a reset and some high revs on the motorway to help raise the exhaust temperature to clean the DFP.

All of which was not ideal so I've added a manual switch in the circuit so I can chose when the car can run its active re-generation, see pictures below.

The first is the new wire being spliced in and run back into the cockpit, the second shows this all taped back up again, and the third the cockpit switch which allows the 5th injector to run or not.

Now I will allow the active regeneration via the additional 5th injector on a rural journey but not on my city runs to avoid excessively smoking every body out!

5th switch .jpg

Picture 3

5th splice.jpg\

Picture 1

5th joint.jpg

Picture 2

Edited by Andy D4D
pictures moved around so lost order

I've also recently been reading about a update to the ECU software which might result in less smoke so wondered if anyone has attempted a software update

Hi can some one tell we're the 5th injector is on my toyota rav 4 2007 or were I can clamp fuel line to it cheers

On 2/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, garyuk1967 said:

Hi can some one tell we're the 5th injector is on my toyota rav 4 2007 or were I can clamp fuel line to it cheers

@garyuk1967 it might depend on which engine you have..

Mine is a 2007 2.2D-Cat and this picture is correct for that

5th injector.pdf

• 7 months later...

I’m also experiencing this very annoying and embarrassing white smoke issue with my 2009 Corolla Verso 2.2 D-4D D-CAT. This issue has existed now for 2 years, but it only comes alive when the weather is cold. During the two previous summers there were no smoke, but now again when the weather is getting colder the smoke is back. It doesn’t smoke when the engine is cold either, only after the engine has warmed up, and usually when the revs are above 2000. So far I have changed the fifth injector, and cleaned up the EGR-valve (and the pipe) but it seemed to have zero effect. The small pipes that comes up to the exhaust differential pressure valve are pulsating, and the stream is obvious when the engine is on - so I may assume the pipes are not clogged. Maybe the differential pressure valve itself is faulty? But then again, why would it work under warmer weather? Maybe a loose connection somewhere which gets more pronounced in cold?

I have a hunch that @Jeya might be after something real, so I will also check the wires and connectors before changing the sensor. Did you manage to buy the wires and connectors as a ready plug-and-play package or did you have to assemble it from the parts yourself. Do you have any part numbers?

Any advice regarding this issue would be highly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

another user tired of white smoke.

I am in spain and to the patterns of cold, slow circulation, I add, that before a lot of smoke, I usually come from a street with inclination, by which I go up or I have gone up, in downhill rarely happens to me.

I also get smoke if I do a heavy acceleration.

as for the fact that in a country like spain (and I have seen that in other countries it also happens), only in winter, maybe it has to do with some additive that is added to diesel (or the diesel components are modified [repsol does this]), to avoid clogging by paraffinic components.

Does white smoke occur in regions where the weather is good all year round (always above 24 degrees Celsius)?

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

from France with my 2011 RAV4 D-CAT 150 HP 285000 Km bought new whith " white smoke problem" 🤪

i've read all posts and started to make up my mind about where to start

I'm not a mechanic but i'm not bad with my hands and my head, have some tools too...

from my past reading ( before this forum 😉 ) i've already changed the 5th injector for NO RESULT  at all

the easiest for me was to try ANDYD4D solution : wire the faulty injector instead of the new one wich is in place ....

Same result as him : NO SMOKE

to be continued

thanks to the top posters on this topic Treepot, Jeya, Gungod and Lilpopjim , i've learned so much reading you

and thanks to the last posters to continue digging at this very annoying problem

christophe

Edited by chrisjousse
thanks