Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Corolla GS 1.3 aircon

VosperD

Not the time of year that it's needed but when I got to  drive this car in the summer I noticed that the aircon did not blow any cool air.

I guess it will eventually have to go in but before that is there anything I can do to check in case it's something simple?

i'm afraid I'm not familiar with where the various air con components are on this model.

Are there any reasons why the aircon could not be repaired on a car of this age? (Apart from the cost, of course)

Don

4 minutes ago, VosperD said:

Not the time of year that it's needed

Not necessarily. Air con when used in conjunction with the heater provides quicker and more effective demisting of interior windows.

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I should get it looked at sooner then.

Cheers

Don

Hi,

Yes the air con is a complex system, but there are some simple tests you can do first.

When you switch the air con on, can you hear the engine revs rise and a distinct click from the compressor as its clutch engages it ?

If you get someone to move the control for you can actually watch the compressors clutch activating.

If that ok, the most likely cause will be loss of gas, which naturally happens anyway.

You need to go to a larger garage, most of which now have automatic recharge and test machines and charge around £50-60+

Some guys also offer a mobile service , just the same as the static garages,  have used them myself, often better as you are there chatting with them.

They will check things out, remove and old gas and oil and refill with new.

However at the age of the car , a common failure is a leaking condenser (the air con radiator) that sits in front of the main engine radiator.

Agree with Frosty, air con can be very handy in a wet winter at clearing steamed up windows.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Oldcodger.

I'll check that out tomorrow as the car is not here at the moment. From memory last time I checked  the aircon indicator light came on but I didn't detect any change in the engine revs or hear any click. at the time I wasn't sure what to listen for.

I'll post what I find.

Cheers

Don

Checked it this morning and I can hear the engine change when either the headlights or the rear demister are switched on but nothing when the aircon is switched on.

Later on I'll get someone to operate the switch whilst I look under the bonnet.

Which one is the compressor on this engine?

Don

OK, looks like the compressor is in the lower position on the front of the engine. I can see the outer part of the pulley revolving but the inner doesn't rotate even when the A/C button is pressed.

Edited by VosperD
more info

Hi,

Expect your engine is similar to mine, if you look at the offside of the engine where the aux/ fan belt is, usually under the alternator you will see the compressor, a similar size to the alternator.

With the air con off, you will see the aux belt running the over the compressors pulley, but its not actually turning the compressor, when you switch the air con on, a clutch mechanism in that pulley engages and then it drives the compressor, the engine revs , if at tickover, jump up by about 500 rpm to compensate.

When the clutch engages it does so with a very obvious clunky click.

Thanks again for reply. 

In this case the compressor is on the front lower position on the engine. as mentioned in my edited post i can see the outer rotating but not the inner and no click. So looks like a possible electrical problem. Relay or fuse perhaps. Further investigations needed. Cars been taken shopping now so lost for the rest of today's daylight hours.

Don

Hi,

Not sure about your model but on the later ones the compressor is controlled by the  M/G CLT relay so you may be able to see if power is getting to the compressor clutch.

Remember seeing a few web pages on the compressor clutch mechanism, believe they can fail , sounds a commonish problem and some say the clutch can be a diy repair, worth a web search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5jMhUm4s

( of course, unlike that video  you cannot take it out  of the car, otherwise you will loose all the refrigerant which can come out very forcefully and dangerously, needing a proper machine  de-gassing first )

Most often it is a fuse which takes a heavy load from the aircon motor. If the fuse has been in there a long time, it can build up a resistance on the fuse prongs going into the terminal connection which then means there is insufficient power to drive the aircon. Replace the fuse and see if it then works.

Thanks DeTomato.

I'm slowly finding my way round the electrics on this  car. I've found the relay for the compressor and swapped that but it didn't solve the problem. I see that there are one or two fuses relating to the aircon, fans etc but not identified the one for the compressor yet.

Don