Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T4 estate reversing sensor wiring.

msg1

Hi

I need to fit some reversing sensors on my 2009 Avensis T4 D-4D estate...

I have looked for the reversing light wiring in the boot area , but cant find the correct wire. The reversing light itself is in the boot lid as you know and so I cant just pick up the wire from there as it runs through the framework etc. I looked at the multiway connector under the bumper assuming this to be the tow hook connection , but again cant get a reading on any of the wires when in reverse.

So my question is : - Has anyone fitted after market sensors and if so , how did you wire them up .

I will keep looking in the meantime..

Thankyou for your time

Regards

Mark.

1 hour ago, msg1 said:

So my question is : - Has anyone fitted after market sensors and if so , how did you wire them up .I

I fitted them to a 2009 saloon.  There are instructions for fitting the genuine Toyota ones on the toyotatech website, but beware my aftermarket ones were deeper so they would have hit the crossmember behind the bumper if located per the instructions - I moved mine slightly so they corresponded with holes in the crossmember.  The wiring was picked up from a plug behind the LHS side boot side trim panel, which is probably where you want to fit the controller/beeper anyway.

Hi Alan

Thankyou for the info.. Have downloaded the manual from toyotatech.. Will study!

I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

Mark.

I fitted some aftermarket sensors to our Auris (so similar?). I noted the wiring colour at the back of the reversing bulb and found that wire in the loom in the l/h rear wing where alan333 said above.  In the Auris there is a multi pin connector near the rear seat where the reversing wire changes to a completely different colour and trace as it goes across the plug/socket, heading towards the front of the car, which can be confusing.  

Getting a soldering iron in the rear wing area is a bit tight, I cut up a foil takeaway container up as a heat shield and to collect any solder drips as a precaution.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gerg

Thanyou for you suggestion.. Unfortunately the reversing lamp is in the rear door and it would seem that the wiring splits somewhere along the loom.

I can get to the White (with thin blue line) behind the light cluster in the boot , but this is the earth wire to the reversing bulb connector. The red power wire goes off through the rear door lining.

To take off the lining looks like a nightmare.

Alan suggested that he picked up the wire from the LHS boot liner.. This also looks like a nightmare to do without damaging it etc

Looks like I need to find out exactly how to remove these liners !!

BTW Sorry for the delay in acknowledging you , Xmas got in the way.

Thanks again

Regards

Mark.

On the Auris the reverse light is on the hatch as well, and the loom then passes through a rubber boot into the headlining.  It then drops down to behind the left hand boot liner before heading the forwards past the l/h rear seat squab.

I think the liner is going to have to come out anyway to find a home for the control unit that the sensors need.  If you can do that on a warm(er) day it might make the trim clips easier to pop out without damage. If you think you have found the correct wire, you could carefully ubik the wire with a fine needle so you could meter that conductor to the back light fitting.

Don't forget that when testing for the reverse light, it may not get powered when the car thinks the boot lid is up.  You could sort that by putting a (philips no.2?) screwdriver blade sideways into the lock to simulate the latch being engaged. Just don't close the hatch until you've released/opened the lock again.

Thanks Gerg

I will try your suggestions and let you know how I got on.

Noted about the powering up of the reversing light etc..

Cheers

Regards

Mark.

Hello and welcome to the club Mark, hope you resolve the issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links