Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ATF Change Help Please........

Kmac888

Hi everyone, I would be grateful for some advice please with my 2002 Yaris 1.3 Auto  67k (UK made not French).

I want to change the automatic transmission fluid.....according to the owners manual it requires Toyotas own T-IV (JWS3309 / NWS6500).

I called two Toyota dealers who don't have this in stock and I can't find any on ebay.  The transmission is working perfectly and the colour of the ATF is fine (not bright pink as I'm used to but a clear brown the same as the power steering fluid) I think this is the colour the fluid is even when new. I just want to change it for piece of mind.

So I have three questions

1) is there an alternative to Toyota T-IV that you would trust and is safe to use (I've found Mobil 3309 on ebay)

2) does my car have an ATF filter 

3) Genuine Toyota ATF (T-IV) is mineral based but some of the ones on eBay are fully synthetic.......which is best

Thank you very much

Note: no Toyota Yaris has been built in the UK - it would be built either in France or Japan.

Moved to the Yaris club..

Part number 08886-82025 5lt T-IV ATF can be purchased from any Toyota dealer ( may not be instock as it is an older standard ) please make sure you use the T-IV spec as anything else will likely damage the transmission

Yes there is a filter ( strainer ) however it is internal, situated on the oil pickup in the transmission sump, part number 35330-52010, if changing this you will also need:

Sump gasket -35168-52010

Drain plug washer - 35178-50010

Mobil site here states the oil meets Toyotas T-IV spec so should be fine, just watch the per litre price as some sites are massively expensive compared to Toyota's per litre price.

Ok - eBay has 2 litres for £22.99. Thanks again for your advice much appreciated 

Car takes 5.5 litres for a dry fill so even on a drain and refill where you won't fully empty the tranmission you will need more than 2 litres