Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS on PHV

altocumulus

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) -

If I go down the line of a separate set of wheels/tyres for Winter/Summer, there's no home option for resetting the TPMS? Or am I being misinformed?

TPMS used to be easy enough to reset according to some of the threads on here and elsewhere, though on other Toyota models....

The online Gen4 Prius manual pages 544 & 545 in my downloaded copy of the manual covers what you can & can't do regarding the TPMS.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 1:38 PM, BhxTrev said:

The online Gen4 Prius manual pages 544 & 545 in my downloaded copy of the manual covers what you can & can't do regarding the TPMS.

Yes, I've just read that, though it does interchange between a mention on wheels and tyres.

My interpretation is that 2 separate sets of wheels can be registered - i.e. 8 sensors, but will wait until I get confirmation on that interpretation from the garage. They earlier implied the code needed changing with each change of wheels.....

Registering ID codes
The ID codes of the tire pressure warning valve and transmitters for two sets
of wheels can be registered.
It is not necessary to register the ID codes when replacing normal tires with
snow tires, if the ID codes for the wheels of both normal tires and snow tires
are registered beforehand.
For information about changing ID codes, ask any authorized Toyota retailer
or Toyota authorized repairer, or any reliable repairer.

Geoff, you've raised a very good point about two separate sets of wheels being registered. If you get any info on this please let us know. 

• Like 1

That was one of several reasons I decided to simply have my dealer swap the winter/summer tyres onto the original wheels.

For a one-off £40 (incl vat) charge, they agreed to store the tyres I'm not using for 'life' (although I didn't bother to explore what 'life' actually meant!).

Every March and November, I visit them (sometimes able to coincide with a service or recall) and a have nice breakfast in the hotel next door while they do the swap.  That costs me £30 a time, all in - including vat, new valves and balancing.

I've bought almost all my tyres from them since I bought my first Prius there in 2002, and found their prices pretty competitive, even once getting a London KwikFit to price match my 25% cheaper dealer when I couldn't get up to Norfolk before they dropped below my self-imposed 3mm limit.

I decided that a few tyre swaps was no more harmful to the tyres than a few puncture repairs, and my service manager agreed.  Certainly that's proved to be the case so far after four winters since I started using Winter tyres (also handy when I traded my Gen 3 Prius for my Gen 4 the 15" wheels were identical sizes, so I could continue using the same winters).

• Like 1

Thanks Pete.

It was the issue of potential damage to the side wall of tyres that made me plump for wheels rather than just a change of tyres - that plus being an hour or so distant from my garage - I valued the ability to decide when to change as being more important.

I'll see what the garage come back with; certainly the manual is a little ambiguous - nothing new!

Hi Pete, I've been offered a similar deal from my Toyota dealer. However, we have thoughts of moving away to live somewhere else in the new year so would then be looking for another decent Toyota garage. I also made the big mistake of having the 17inch wheels. I hate not having a spare & the MPG economy of the 15inch wheels appeals to me. Maybe next time I change my car?

My garage isn't used (the Prius will just fit with the mirrors folded, but I don't fancy having to sleep in it!) so I guess if I knew how to store them correctly I could keep them in there if I didn't have such a good dealer.

I could then just pop them in the back of the car and use any tyre shop who'd give me a sensible deal for regular business.

Doing a reset of the TPMS is quite simple using the settings menu in the top MFD via the steering wheel buttons.

I've had a preliminary answer and the manager isn't aware of any ability to store more than one set of sensor details, but further investigation will be carried out!

It won't be the first time the manual has been wrong!

If this is correct, I won't be needing the wheels, that'll prove popular!!!!

Luckily my 'garage' is big enough to store a combine harvester in, as long as it's not too tall!

Info this morning

"the PHV can indeed store 2x Full Sets of 4, TPMS sensors, so you can more easily rotate your summer & winter Wheels yourself" .

• 3 weeks later...

Winter tyres are working extremely well 😄 Only one instance of icy roads so far this season and no snow..........

39 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

Winter tyres are working extremely well 😄 Only one instance of icy roads so far this season and no snow..........

Its rather like when you've just washed the car, it starts to rain---when motorcycling , the only time it rains is when you went out without your waterproofs and when you fit winter tyres, the weather stays mild.

• Like 2

...or buy midge repellent and don't see any midges :D

1 hour ago, altocumulus said:

...or buy midge repellent and don't see any midges 😄

That proves it's working 😉

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

3 weeks after the change to 'normal' tyres, from winter - TPMS warning light is on.

Reset sometimes works and initialises the TPMS - and light goes out for a while; other times it doesn't react to the reset. No obvious sign of tyre deflation/over-inflation. Pressures as expected in the tyres - only thing not tried is a deflate and re-inflate to see if that alters anything.

Just completed a 60 mph round-trip on HV mode, returning in excess of 80mpg - an indicator, if nothing else, that the tyres don't appear to be less than optimal!

Does anyone else noted any 'problems'. Car's just 8 months since first registration - if there's a Battery in the sensors they are supposed to last 10 years.

Just had mine changed (6th swap since new) - not had problems on any of the swaps.

Have you had any punctures recently where you used the gunge?  Recently been reading the manual for the new RAV4 I've ordered and noticed it said a new sensor must be fitted every time the gunge is used (luckily mine will have spare tyre).

On 4/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, PeteB said:

Just had mine changed (6th swap since new) - not had problems on any of the swaps.

Have you had any punctures recently where you used the gunge?  Recently been reading the manual for the new RAV4 I've ordered and noticed it said a new sensor must be fitted every time the gunge is used (luckily mine will have spare tyre).

Nothing's changed, other than a tyre swop (just in time for winter to supposedly make an appearance!).

Just noticed there's a Tire Assistant as part of the Hybrid Assistant stable - I'll see if I can glean any info from that - mind it says it needs a good quality OBD2 adapter 😄

Trip to Aberdeen on HV - recorded 89.6mpg and scored 90/100 - doesn't seem to be a tyre issue 😄 .

Warning light flashes and is then steady, manual suggests it's a sensor issue.

Anyone used Tire Assistant (TA)?

Connected, seemingly with satisfaction - readings from all tyres around 29psi; they should be 35&36psi (obviously pump at Tesco, when warning came on, didn't inflate properly).

Pumped one tyre up, hoping TA would register the change and I could position tyres within the app - but in spite of "updating" the app didn't change the readout.... :chinscratch:

Sat with thumb on reset of TPMS in Car Diags for about 5 minutes without any initialisation. Me thinks something amiss in the car's software, rather than hardware?

Just a thought, if you just pumped one tyre up, there may be too big a difference in pressures between tyres to reset the TPMS.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kithmo said:

Just a thought, if you just pumped one tyre up, there may be too big a difference in pressures between tyres to reset the TPMS.

That's actually what I was trying to do. When I was just about giving up for the afternoon the 12V Battery warned it was getting low (which makes me wonder)!

So it's been on overnight charge.

• 1 month later...
TPMS now (seems*) to be sorted, but I don't understand how/why.

Took car off charge Friday morning to discover some settings had changed, clock, HUD display, calendar and main Touch display.
Corrected these and thought what the 'heck. Pressed TPMS reset button, but no change.
Quick morning trip with TPMS light flashing and then stable.
Afternoon trip to village sat waiting for bus. Tried another TPMS reset as per the manual. No change.

Thought what the heck pressed button three times and then held, light went out.

Perhaps it's the manual that's wrong in that it's not a simple hold button to reset.

*BUT although the warning light went out, I didn't get the "Initialisation Completed" notice.....

Tire Assistant App now reports all tyres inflated and coincides with manual readings.