Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 wheels for winter tyres?

podfilms

Hello

I'm off to the snow in Europe soon so need to get a set of s/h wheels and winter tyres for my RAV4 D4D 2005. (Current tyres are  255/55/17).

I believe I should be looking for 16 x 6.5J rims with 5 studs. 

Can I buy any wheel or do they have to be Toyota specific? Any help on what or where to buy most appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave welcome to TOC 🙂

They won't have to be Toyota specific but they will need to have the appropriate bore, PCD & offset for your RAV.

It used to be that you typically went down a wheel size for Winter tyres but I believe that the tyre industry says that is no longer necessary with modern Winter tyres.

Moved to the Rav4 club.

As above, winter wheels should have the same specification as your current summer ones. But, dependent perhaps on quite how worn your current set of tyres are, a simpler and potentially more cost effective option would be to fit a good set of all season tyres. These are now readily available and available with the same "mountain and snowflake" markings as any cold weather tyre.

I've got two sets of tyres - one summer and one cold weather - and swap them onto the same set of rims dependent upon the season. But, as and when I wear them out, I will switch to s single set of all season tyres instead (these simply weren't available 5 years ago!).

Thanks for your help everyone. 

I've ordered some new rims and nokian tyres, so I'm ready for some serious weather!  

😊

• Like 1