Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris 1,3 Petrol Code P0420???

Hshshumen

HI everyone,

I just bought Toyota Auris 1,3 Petrol for my wife, but it turns out that the car has some problems. The first one is the check engine code P0420 which is saying “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)”. My mechanic said it should be one of the O2 sensors and most probably the one after the Catalyc Converter. I bought that sensor from Toyota and he changed it, but after around 40 miles the check engine light was on again. After that I bought the O2 sensor again from Toyota and the same thing happen. After 30-40 miles the check engine light was on again. The second problem is that the car is consuming a lot of engine oil and there is no leakage, no smoke from the exhaust and the car is running perfect. I’ve changed the oil with all filters as soon as I bought the car. First I put 0W20 as recommended from Toyota and now I changed it again with 5w30 to check if there will be any difference. So if anyone can help with the Check Engine problem or the Oil consumption problem I will be really thankfull. Also if anyone knows if there should be done something with the car computer after changing the O2 sensors?

Regards

Hristo

Hi,

How much oil does it use? I'm wondering if the engine burning oil is contaminating the catalyst and preventing it from working, leading to the fault code?

• Like 1

Well its using around 200-300 grams every 250-300 miles.

Hi and welcome. Oil consumption is high for sure and most likely has caused a clogged catalytic converter. Best is to try some fuel additives first, add to petrol as recommended and take a car for a drive at least 100 miles on a motorway, try to keep it running around 3k rpm, no need to exceed speed limits ,just drive on lower gear if necessary. I can recommend you Cataclean Cataclean CAT001 Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaning Treatment, Petrol, 500ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1fNcCbVH19HG4

or Wynn’s https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262868488034

both has a good review. After you run them I think you will clean the cat and then you will need to try to fix the oil consumption to stop a future problems with your cat converter. You can use engine oil additives too, oil stop leak or engine stop smoke, liquid moly has a good stuff here https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223185009815

all these procedures may help you and it’s worth trying it first , and if nothing happens than your next bet is to take it to a garage for a mechanical repair which would be costly. 

Good Luck

Thank you TonyHSD. I’ll try both additives. For the engine additive I’m always try to avoid it as I don’t like putting additive to the engine, but This time I think I should try it. Thanks

Try changing both sensors. As you changed bottom one try the top.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I was chabged the bottom sensor once and cel came back and changed top aswel cel was gone. Strange even though fault was pointing g at bottom one even when new.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hshshumen said:

I just bought Toyota Auris 1,3 Petrol for my wife,

When did you buy the car and was it a private sale or from a garage?

If from a garage, you will be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - see 'The first six months' of the following: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

These rights are in addition to any warranty the garage has given.

• Like 1

Hi driver10. As I sad in the first message I already changed both sensors ( pre Catalyc and after Catalyc) and both sensors I bought from Toyota. I spend around £320 for both and the light is still there:( Anyway thank You for the advice.

Regards 

Hristo

Hi FROSTYBALLS and thank You for the reply as well. Unfortunately I spend too much money for the car already. As I sad I service it (engine oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Front Brake Discs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, Rear Brake Caliper, All three wiper Blades) and I also bought 2 new tyres with a wheel alignment, as I'm doing that with all of the cars I'm buying, because I can't rely on a dealers statement that the car was just serviced, as they all saying that. This one even has a receipt that is serviced around 5000 miles ago from Toyota dealer, but when I did the service it turns out that the Air and Cabin Filters where not changed the last time (whenever that was). So when I add the sensors the total amount I spend for all repairs is around £900 and I think that even if I return the car to the dealer there is no chance to get those money back and as I can see in eBay a new engine (second hand) will cost me around £300. So I'm thinking to try the ideas that TonyHSD gave me and try those additives and if they don't work as well I will change the engine and hopefully that will be the end of the story. The thing that most makes me angry is that I thought that Toyota is one of the most reliable make for cars, but may be I'm just unlucky. I also have some warranty which I might use to try and repair the engine. I will post the results as soon as I have some.

Regards

Hristo

2 hours ago, Hshshumen said:

This one even has a receipt that is serviced around 5000 miles ago from Toyota dealer, but when I did the service it turns out that the Air and Cabin Filters where not changed the last time

Depending which service was done (Intermediate, Full, Essential Care, etc), the air and cabin filters may not have been included as part of the service. 

The point about the Consumer Rights Act 2015 was not about returning the car but regarding the fact that the selling garage could, under the Act, have been liable for the repairs, regardless of any warranty.

Hi, if you have any warranty that won’t cost you a money just get it inspected and repaired for free. The additives may work but maybe not, or if they work it’s a temporary fix only. Even if you clear the cat and have your light off you need to stop the oil consumption which it’s most likely the cause of the problem, with additives and couple of procedures you can improve the things but the permanent fix is only a mechanical repair. Toyota cars usually are reliable, but it depends how the car was driven before and how was maintained. Buying from a dealers especially Toyota ones means nothing, don’t trust them at all, I had two bad experiences with different Toyota dealers on different occasions and I can tell you that even a two years old car “approved” as they call it can be a complete trash. I highly recommend to you to call the dealer and ask for solution, ask them to repair or exchange the engine, they are obligated to do so free of charge. Be firm and polite with them , tell them that you know your rights, you like the car and spend a lot of money on it, but the car was not fit fir purpose at the time of sale. They should look after you. Once you have engine rebuild or exchanged plus all other parts you already replaced you will enjoy a used car that is like new. 

Good Luck. 👍

The warranty is irrelevant.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 -

"If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was."

If bought within the last six months, go back to the dealer and request they repair the vehicle under The Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The only proviso may be surrounding the work you have had done, and whether this can be seen to have been a contributory factor towards the issues.

1.3 engine was known for high oil consumption, and Toyota said up to 1L per 1K miles is all fine according to them. 

This was supposedly fixed mid 2009 if i remember correctly, so pls do share some more info about the car age, if you know the manufacture month, and engine name.

If this is your problem, i'd go with 5W30, or maybe even try heavier oil if allowed in owners manual, it should help with the issue.

25 minutes ago, furtula said:

If this is your problem, i'd go with 5W30, or maybe even try heavier oil if allowed in owners manual, it should help with the issue.

The 1.33 engine in the Auris was only introduced late 2008. Doesn't seem to be any particular issue with this engine and high oil consumption on sites like Honest John, etc. 

In the owners manual, 0W-20 is the preferred oil. 5W-30 may be used, but recommendation to replace with 0W-20 at next service.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Motheo said:

Hshshumen, what year model is your Auris?

The OP's profile states 2009

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP's profile states 2009

Thanks 
I missed that.

I would check the spark plugs condition to see how contaminated with oil they are. I would also check the breather pipe system, and the EGR (which I only recently discovered was on this petrol engine). The catalytic convertor may need cleaning/changing. Just changing the O2 sensors, when they could be tested, seems a waste of money. The O2 sensors made no difference and confirmed the fault code - the catalytic convertor is not working within set parameters. A compression test may reveal if the piston rings are good. The breather system can cause pressure build up, forcing oil into the combustion chamber via the valve guides. Basically everything needs to be checked and if necessary rectified.

When buying a car close to 10 years old, wear and tear is expected, but you never know if the car has been cared for or driven. Has any of the previous owners maintained the service history or ignored regular oil changes and other items? At least you bought your car from a dealer, so should have some comeback.