Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG issue after service and tyre change.

Chippy01

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Why not state when you book in that you want 0W-20 engine oil. They either will sorry Sir, we use engine oil approved by Toyota but it may not be 0-20, or No problem Sir, or we do have to charge extra for 0W-20 which will be £x. If they offer to put 0W-20 in just make sure when you get their to remind service desk. Basically what I did. If "you and I" simply accept ehat they want to put in they will continue to do it thinking it acceptable, when in my case its not.

They knew exactly what oil I wanted after the first year service fiasco, where they told me it was impossible to put the wrong oil in and claimed to have a foolproof system where the hose of the  0W-20 oil drum can only reach the ramp where hybrid vehicles are serviced.  It's more than obvious that they would not leave one of the other ramps empty and the tech standing there if only hybrids were in the queue for servicing. i think my big mistake was taking on a 3 year service contract where I don't get to see a receipt showing what fluids were used

Full service from dealers means nothing. Very often they don’t even change the filters or oil if car was rarely used and oil was clean , many dealers practice or dealers employees who than sell the parts on eBay . Once the car past it’s warranty period there is no sense to go to the dealer at all. Btw when the car is still new and within warranty period we can use any vat registered garage to carry service on our cars and been covered by the manufacturer warranty, we don’t need to use main dealer. Best way is to service the car yourself if you have facilities and knowledge, dealers visit only for some parts when necessary. 

Regards 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Full service from dealers means nothing. Very often they don’t even change the filters or oil if car was rarely used and oil was clean , many dealers practice or dealers employees who than sell the parts on eBay . Once the car past it’s warranty period there is no sense to go to the dealer at all. Btw when the car is still new and within warranty period we can use any vat registered garage to carry service on our cars and been covered by the manufacturer warranty, we don’t need to use main dealer. Best way is to service the car yourself if you have facilities and knowledge, dealers visit only for some parts when necessary. 

Regards 

I thought there was a stipulation any parts used in a service/repair at a VAT registered garage had to be car manufacturer approved to keep warranty going.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Once the car past it’s warranty period there is no sense to go to the dealer at all.

Goodwill in the event of an out of warranty claim. Also, once it is out of warranty on a time basis of 5 years it becomes eligible for the Essential Care maintenance scheme which imo is pretty competitive.

& of course, if you have a Toyota Extended Warranty it is mandated that servicing is by a Toyota dealer.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I thought there was a stipulation any parts used in a service/repair at a VAT registered garage had to be car manufacturer approved to keep warranty going.

they have to be equal to or better than oem spec.

Checked my last service record and it actually says that 5W30 oil was used which is disappointing. I'd like to maintain the full dealer service record so perhaps I need to be more clear in insisting that the correct hybrid oil is used. It would be far easier if all dealers just used the correct oil without having to ask!

1 hour ago, jgodfrey said:

Checked my last service record and it actually says that 5W30 oil was used which is disappointing. I'd like to maintain the full dealer service record so perhaps I need to be more clear in insisting that the correct hybrid oil is used. It would be far easier if all dealers just used the correct oil without having to ask!

I think the 0W-20 is more expensive which may account for them not using it.  The difference it makes to the mpg is quite noticeable as well.

My changing the oil and performing a viscosity test to prove I had the wrong oil has been refuted by Listers of Stratford along with an invitation to see a demonstration of the viscosity test in my garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links