Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Cigarette port Extension

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi...

Quick one...

Has anyone managed to fit a cigarette port extension from the inside of their armrest to the rear seats, for others to charge things, power kids dvd screens etc? Without any trailing wires or having to leave the arm rest lid open, is it even possible??? Id like to screw it to the rear of the arm console so it looks neat. 

Oh and on a T27 btw.

Any ideas???

Hello Sam again. There are plenty of options, but it is how you want to go about fixing a socket. I will show you where you can tap off the storage box power socket. 
The following photo is from when I was fitting a USB socket extension, in place of the AUX only socket in the storage box for my USB adapter project, 3 years ago. P1070933.thumb.JPG.5ca0772cdac801f74a948b6f1e68f81e.JPG 

The rear of the power socket (brown) where the cable connects. This is where you might want to attach the extension from.
Here is an example of the USB socket extension kit you want to fit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGNQNLR/ref=asc_df_B07DGNQNLR57375602/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B07DGNQNLR&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309902997323&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10349297347498929172&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-523974741251

You may need a kit with long cable if tapping from another power source and the kit need the space to fit!
Here is a diagram of the console storage box. AVENSIS |  CONSOLE BOX BRACKET

AVENSIS |  ASH RECEPTACLE

You would need to drill a suitable hole just under the ashtray. I was was going to say replace the ashtray, negating the need of drilling, but it needs more work/thinking. 

Another idea is to find a way to route the a USB cable from the power socket (drilling a hole in the storage box).

As I said these are ideas, and hopefully you find a suitable way.

Konrad👍

Ahh cheers Konrad...really appreciate the input.

Thing is...ive already purchased one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Van-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-Dual-USB-Power-Socket-Charger-Splitter-UK-/183514652526?txnId=1898322316008

What i liked about this is that it lights up orange to match the dials lol...otherwise made in China freaks me out.

Ideally id like to plug it inside my arm rest and somehow run the cabling to the back and mount it so that the kids can charge their devices...mainly their headrest dvd players.

It'd be sad to drill a big hole rear of the console just to run the cigarette lead bit and then cover it up by mouting the unit over the hole.

Hmmm

20 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Ahh cheers Konrad...really appreciate the input.

Thing is...ive already purchased one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Van-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-Dual-USB-Power-Socket-Charger-Splitter-UK-/183514652526?txnId=1898322316008

What i liked about this is that it lights up orange to match the dials lol...otherwise made in China freaks me out.

Ideally id like to plug it inside my arm rest and somehow run the cabling to the back and mount it so that the kids can charge their devices...mainly their headrest dvd players.

It'd be sad to drill a big hole rear of the console just to run the cigarette lead bit and then cover it up by mouting the unit over the hole.

Hmmm

Sam I have worked out a way you could run the cable, if you are prepared to drill. The storage box has rubber covers hiding the bolt points. You could remove these mats and drill the hole large enough to feed the smaller adapter through into the storage area. Before that you need to undo the 3 bolt hold the storage box/console, to give more space to feed the adapter under from the side to rear.  

P1140949.thumb.JPG.0093f1860acbb040fc7272098dbc5476.JPGP1140946.thumb.JPG.cc6bf13ffb7477a3326462138f81597c.JPGP1140947.thumb.JPG.7a22758b05557ae951ef545bfa5ea099.JPG 

I have another I idea. Remove the place holding the power and AUX socket. Cut a slot into the plate from the edge. This slot should be wide enough to fit the cable of the adapter. Loose n the 3 bolts holding the console and feed the adapter to the power socket under the gap and into the storage area. Replace the plate, making sure the cable is in the slot. Route the rest of the cable under the console towards the rear. Bolt the console back. The double adapter part will be loose to be placed anywhere.

A bit of brainstorming.  👨‍🔬👩‍🔬🔧⚙️

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Sam I have worked out a way you could run the cable, if you are prepared to drill. The storage box has rubber covers hiding the bolt points. You could remove these mats and drill the hole large enough to feed the smaller adapter through into the storage area. Before that you need to undo the 3 bolt hold the storage box/console, to give more space to feed the adapter under from the side to rear.  

P1140949.thumb.JPG.0093f1860acbb040fc7272098dbc5476.JPGP1140946.thumb.JPG.cc6bf13ffb7477a3326462138f81597c.JPGP1140947.thumb.JPG.7a22758b05557ae951ef545bfa5ea099.JPG 

I have another I idea. Remove the place holding the power and AUX socket. Cut a slot into the plate from the edge. This slot should be wide enough to fit the cable of the adapter. Loose n the 3 bolts holding the console and feed the adapter to the power socket under the gap and into the storage area. Replace the plate, making sure the cable is in the slot. Route the rest of the cable under the console towards the rear. Bolt the console back. The double adapter part will be loose to be placed anywhere.

A bit of brainstorming.  👨‍🔬👩‍🔬🔧⚙️

Outstanding work and excellent brain storming, i would never have thought those options, im going to give that a shot tomorrow fingers crossed i get time, ill consider both options.

The first option seems ideal, remove rubber mat thingys, undo bolts, drill a hole, only downside is one cant reuse the rubber mat because the wire will be in the way, unless i either do away with the mat...p.s...my other half is very fussy...or drill the mat too loo.

The second option sounds good, ill need to take a look, see how much space there is for the hole, this could be the neatest n best option, hmmm.

Routing the cable afterwards should be easy.

Its a shame this unit ive purchased is sealed both ends...one end the actual unit/ ports etc...the other end the cigarette plug thingy.

I shall keep you posted, cheers for that.

P.s

Going via your diagrams above...thought of a 3rd option...remove the rear ashtray...looks like it clips out...and then mount the unit in place of it to cover up the hole...hmmm...no drilling...and a direct route hence no need to route cabling!!!

looks like a mission taking it all apart though!!!

• Like 1

Quick update..

Other half decided not to pursue all the avenues discussed in the end...couldnt find the heart to drill in places even the eye cant see...so its one of those whereby we’ll open the arm rest and pass the kids the charger lol.

15 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Quick update..

Other half decided not to pursue all the avenues discussed in the end...couldnt find the heart to drill in places even the eye cant see...so its one of those whereby we’ll open the arm rest and pass the kids the charger lol.

Oh well. I do the same for friends and family - long lead to the rear to charge their phones.