Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB port and a standard CD player

Peter483

Hi. My in-laws have recently replaced their Yaris with a newer model and only after purchasing did they discover the absence of a CD player. This is causing some disharmony in the house :-( As they’re not into MP3 players, bluetooth, etc. can you tell me how I can connect a portable CD player with only a headphone output into the USB port on the car so they can listen to their CDs and return to a happy household? Can I use a USB to 3.5mm jack adapter, for example? Many thanks in anticipation of a happy Christmas :-)

54 minutes ago, Peter483 said:

Hi. My in-laws have recently replaced their Yaris with a newer model and only after purchasing did they discover the absence of a CD player. This is causing some disharmony in the house 😞 As they’re not into MP3 players, Bluetooth, etc. can you tell me how I can connect a portable CD player with only a headphone output into the USB port on the car so they can listen to their CDs and return to a happy household? Can I use a USB to 3.5mm jack adapter, for example? Many thanks in anticipation of a happy Christmas 🙂

Too much gaff in my opinion. Embrace the port and Mp3, my memory stick has about 300 albums on it. I'll help rip their CDs if need be. 

• Like 1

Agreed it if were my car but it isn’t so I’m looking for a solution that they’re happy with. Thanks anyway.

Sadly I don’t think the USB port will support anything other than a usb storage device / iPod like device.

Another option is an fm transmitter that has a headphone input and is powered from the 12v accessory socket.

Other than that, I don’t see much else you can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Anthony. Probably go for a Bluetooth-enabled CD player then. Hopefully a simpler solution than the transmitter as I’ve struggled with them before.

15 hours ago, Peter483 said:
Thanks Anthony. Probably go for a Bluetooth-enabled CD player then. Hopefully a simpler solution than the transmitter as I’ve struggled with them before.

Hopefully someone can confirm the radio will pair with a non phone bluetooth device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s a shame you cannot get you in-laws to have a go with usb stick with all their cd’s on. Changing a cd after 12-15 tracks was a real pain to me, and storing my 6 or 7 favourite cd’s in the car a bigger pain, but yes I got to hear “my music”. The gen3 Prius I had, I could play individual cd’s, or copy them onto a hard drive (2010 model Prius) which I thought was fantastic. When I bought my Gen4 Prius I assumed I would have to go back to storing cd’s again in the car. But it was this forum that led me to sit down in front of my computer and copy my cd’s to USB. This also had the advantage of not copying tracks I didn’t like. Result is I have 1016 tracks on my USB stick which I can play in order, shuffle them automatically, select songs by artist name of by cd. So convenient, takes up very little room, no changing discs, no risking scratching cd’s, and the quality is still there.  If I were you I would just get an 16gb USB stick, put all their favourites on it, set it up in their car, take one of your in-laws out to their car, tell him/she you couldn’t find a set up to allow a portable CD player to operate (which is true at this moment) then show them what you done and how easy, convenient, and safe it is to use a USB stick. Jobs a good un. 

I've finally dragged myself into the 21st century and, for the first time, since buying the car, now use a u.s.b. stick more often than not, to listen to preloaded music. To be honest, I've never used the c.d. player so don't even know if it works. Always listened to the radio.

However, I think it is now in a more accessible place, but whoever decided that the glovebox was a really convenient place to site the u.s.b. socket really needs their head examining! You have to virtually stand on your head when inserting a u.s.b. device. I think I spotted a 3.5mm aux. input next to it but without having a torch at the time wasn't sure.

I also use the usb and have noticed the aux input on the early Yaris Hybrid. I have a 16GB stick full to the brim and use the CD for new mp3s and item specific "mix tapes". I also bluetooth stream to get another random selection of music. I like our Touch system, it goes well with my 6 year old smartphone 😁

I have been using USB memory sticks for about 10 years now. I added a Connects2 adapter to the CD changer port of standard Sony unit in my old Mk1 Avensis. I am using an adapter in my current Avensis. 

I searched and found no analogue to digital (USB) adapter available, that will work with car audio systems. 

It is easier to get a 16gb or larger memory stick, have a laptop with a CD drive and copy/convert onto the stick. If the laptop has the right software (which it should have), all the music/artist in will be copied over. Then stick the memory stick in the cars USB and check it works. You will only need to add new CDs after. The process doesn't take long. 

Saves on space lost carrying seperate CDs. 

I know USB is not perfect, but there are less moving parts to go wrong. Others are playing music from their smartphones via bluetooth

Welcome to the changing world of digital audio. 

Maybe it will take another 5 years for me to try out the 3.5mm input.😇