Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT

TP49

The Estima sailed through the MOT today,  that's another years ticket under its belt. Happy with that.😀😀

Nice one, Tony...always good to get that ticket.

Mine's not due until May but I expect to get a similar result.!

Mine needed new rear bushes for last month's MOT.

12 hours ago, Paulscarbs said:

Mine needed new rear bushes for last month's MOT.

I guess it could have been worse, Paul..:smile:...and I assume you managed to source them pretty easily.?

Sourced easily via Megazip. £100 odd for the pair whereas Toyota UK wanted more than £100 for one!

Fitting cost about £160 but I had to pay for another MOT due to slow delivery (this is not normally slow).

I accepted the total cost as a reasonalbe one considering how little I spend on the vehicle during the year 😉.

Not a bad result, Paul,..and as you say...a relatively small price when it's pretty much all you might pay out in any one year.

I'm just about to get some new front discs and pads...I noticed recently the start of some pedal pulsing on a sharp stop..but I can get decent disc and pads for about £80 easily enough in the UK..and then a few quid to fit them (can't be @rsed to do them myself)

Had the front discs and pads done on mine a couple of months ago Neil parts and labour VAT etc came to £228. 76 which I thought fair enough. 

Not bad, Tony....I can get EBC pads and discs for about £85..and then get my garage to fit...they do a cash/no VAT job for me on the labour so I reckon I'll Shell out a max of around £160....without that I'd be paying pretty much what you did.

Yes, they look after me well..the downside is I don't get an invoice that shows the service history/work carried out...but as I'm not thinking about selling the Estima I'll live with that.:biggrin:

• 3 months later...

Apologies for jumping on this thread, albeit with a related question. My 2005 Previa received advisories last year at the MOT as follows:

001 Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement. Nearside front.

002 Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement. Offside front.

I cannot detect any issues when driving but with the MOT coming up again in a few weeks I'm wondering if this might cause a fail. The vehicle mileage is approx 75,000. Is it probably time to replace the bushes? In terms of the work (if necessary) is it best to replace the bushes only? Or is it easier to replace the assembly? Would anything else likely need replacing during the work? Are any special tools needed?

Thank you.

You could ask your garage to do a pre-mot/check, see what they think...but personally I would have replaced the bushes straight after the advisory..they aren't going to get any better after all and you could be looking at a fail this time

As for anything else...who knows.?..parts wear out all the time.

All you can do is check the obvious culprits like external lights, wipers, dash/warning lights, tyres et al.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have changed them if there was a noticeable effect but there isn't. I'm putting it in early for an MOT at the weekend. If it fails it seems that new suspension arms (with bushes) will be the easy option. It's a second vehicle so we can manage with it being off the road for a few days. 

That's the old way of doing things, putting it in for an mot and replacing what the car fails on then running the car for another year till the next mot not a  good recipe for a road worthy well maintained car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, TP49 said:

The Estima sailed through the MOT today,  that's another years ticket under its belt. Happy with that.😀😀

Mine too, Tony...went in today for it's annual service etc and it's MOT...sailed through with only one minor advisory..a small 4mm chip in the middle of the windscreen..FFS.!..can hardly see it..lol

But, I've got Autowotsits coming on Friday to do their magic repair..so all should be well.

I'm a happy chappy.!

Good news Neil, nice to have a years ticket. Mine had an advisory about the tailgate break light not working apparently not an mot failure. Trouble is it's a slide in bulb and when I shut the tailgate over time the bulb comes loose, I've yet to find a way of sorting it out. I have to shut it with a bit of effort otherwise the door light warning light stays on, I've tried adjusting the clamp but doesn't make any difference. All sent to try us, anyway glad we've got an mot.

Cheers Tony...and yes, a 12 month ticket is always good.

This is my 4th consecutive "clean" MOT pass..a testament to Toyota quality..and the benefit of an import that doesn't (and won't) have any rust issues....not bad a for a 15/16 year old bus..!

I got the emissions print out this time too and was amazed at the low levels..the engine must be damn clean...lol

I had to replace the centre brake light bulb on mine a couple of years ago.?...but mine is the usual bayonet type bulb...16w IIRC...so I bought a heavy duty one from Halfords and it's been ok since...wondered if it would have been an MOT failure...obviously not.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Edit...on reflection, I think the bulb in mine WAS the "push in" type...not bayonet.!!

The push in bulb is a pain because of the vibration of the tailgate when shutting it. The brake lights on mine are live and not switched off via the ignition is yours the same Neil? That's the only niggle I've got which on reflection is very minor but as you've said Neil there great condition for their age.

Yep...mine's the same, Tony...always live...but thankfully l've never had any issues with the bulb or the tailgate.

As you say...just a minor niggle I guess.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:30 AM, RUToyota said:

You could ask your garage to do a pre-mot/check, see what they think...but personally I would have replaced the bushes straight after the advisory..they aren't going to get any better after all and you could be looking at a fail this time

As for anything else...who knows.?..parts wear out all the time.

All you can do is check the obvious culprits like external lights, wipers, dash/warning lights, tyres et al.

Good to see that Toyota engineering and reliability is making for happy ownership. Went through the MOT a couple of weeks back. Passed with an advisory about rear brake pads wear. No mention of the front suspension arm rubber bushes at all. I'll do the rear brakes in the summer.

Thinking to flush the coolant too, it's supposed to be very long life but not sure when it was last changed. Maybe the brake fluid too. 

I have a couple of minor niggles with the wipers. Front wiper blade rubbers (Bosch fitted) so-so. Has anyone found anything better and a source? Rear washer arm spring seems not strong enough to ensure the top of the screen is properly wiped. I fitted a new arm/blade a couple of years back though it's a third-party part. Any suggestions? 

Good you got the MOT. I've got Bosch wipers fitted I change them every year anyway what with all the crap off the roads. So don't expect them to be good after a year.