Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sourcing Toyota Parts?

sproutdreamer

I was stunned to get a price quote for a auto gear selector cable for a 1.8 2008 auto Avensis of nealy £190 from Toyota. Are there any sources of pattern spares at a more sensible price for spares like this? Ball joint at end totally seized up and despite soaking in penetrating oil will not budge so definately need a new one!

I am really stuck for a sensibly priced auto gear linkage cable. There must be some out there as there are lots of manual gear change cables at around £90 and there is pair of cables for the manual transmisiion and only one for the auto box! Just a matter of finding a supplier of pattern parts for Toyotas-come on you experts.

I have searched e bay uk &europe, about 10 large aftermarket parts suppliers here and Europe ansd all I can find is one second hand one on e bay that looks as corroded as my own. My conclusion is that these parts just do not fail and there is no market for them -a testament to the reliability of the auto transmission system.

I have soaked my ball joint end in penetrating fluid and it is still stiff but does now move. A temporary fix I think but it take a little pressure off getting another cable. It is not just the Toyota cost of £188 but I object to being ripped off over something with a real value of probably £50.

I am still interested if anyone knows where I can get an aftermarket cable.

Soaking the ball joint in penetrating oil 2 days and then 50/50 penetrating oil and normal oil for 1 day seems to have freed it off ok. Just as well as despite intensive internet searches and asking the question of several large aftermarket suppliers who sell all sorts of small and obscure parts, none do an auto gear linksage.control,change "or call it what you will" cable. The selector now shows N,D.R & P lit on the dash gear selection display.