Do Not Sell My Personal Information

transmission & driveline oil servicing

bonjo

I would like to do all three parts: transaxle, transfer box and the rear diff (non LSD). For the last two, the service data asks for 80w-90 or 90 both of which are a little difficult to find. Can I use 75w90 (full synthetic) instead? WOuld it have any detrimental effect on their longetivity or performance.

I believe the transaxle oil can be fully drained & replace. How about the transfer & the rear diff?

thanks

Hi,

Seems loads of places make 80w 90,  Comma, Castrol and even Halfords  show they have them via many outlets , not forgetting Toyotas own

You are right. I am really after full synthetic one which I cannot find any

Hi

Is there a 80w 90 Fully Synthetic gear oil  ? seems all the big names use mineral .

If in any doubt about the right choice,   at least you know Toyota Oil is the correct one.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed all the transmission fluids in my previous RAV and got them my dealer. I had to order them and when I collected they gave me GL5 80/90 for transfer and back axle. I queried this as there is a sticker on the transfer box saying to use 85/90. 

The parts guy brought their gearbox man who told me that using 85/90 made them whine and mine had a slight whine which stopped after I changed the oil. 

Hope it helps. 

Keith

this is very intersting about the whine.

No I couldn't find any synthetic 80/90 so will settle for the organic alternative