Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery advice

kuljit55

Hi guys, i have a 2003 Toyota Corolla 1.6 vvti Manual Petrol and over past few days it has been struggling to start in the morning due to the cold weather however does start 1st time. I had a brand new genuine Toyota Battery fitted in August 2015. 

I was wondering how long do these car batteries last? I was hoping it was about 5 years. Also do these batteries still contain fluid that can be topped up? And would that help with the problem im having?

Can someone advise me please. Thank you.

Hi Kuljit,

I've noticed that too, mines just a little  sluggish but it starts fine. I bought my car 2012, the Battery wasn't new at the time, at least I dont think so.

I was wondering if its worth taking it indoors and charge with one of those reconditioning chargers for a day or so.

I am sure someone more experienced will come along and tell us its normal for winter.

• Like 1

Hi,

Agree , the cold weather does make starting sound a little sluggish, partic if you are parked outside.

However , worth checking if you have the original receipt for your Toyota Battery as it might be covered by a warranty, many brand names give 3,4 or even 5 years, though think thats more for a totally duff Battery.

First , if you have a basic voltmeter , you can do some really simple tests.

Leave the car for a hour, then without switching anything on, measure the voltage across the Battery terminals.

You can see such tests and voltage meanings at sites like this.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery

Also check the condition of the clamps over the battery terminals, they can corrode, but easy enough to clean up and then cover with vaseline etc.

To check the alternator is working ok, start the car and hold the revs about 1500-2000+ rpm and measure the voltage at the battery again.

If you see around 14.2v , say give  take 0.2v,  then your alternator is working fine.

Roks, if your battery is at least 6 years old, think it will be on its last legs,  charging may help for a little while, but I have found replacement with a good make the only real answer, or as I also do, since once, a long time ago,  being caught out with a flat battery while in a mway service station for just 30 mins, carry one of those jump starter battery packs.

• Like 2

Good advice from oldcodger.

Car Battery terminals can suffer from resistance build on both the +ive and -ive connector and each terminal on the Battery. When there is high resistance then the amps are reduced which makes the car struggle to start.

Cleanup both terminal connections and the connectors by removing all the grey build up until shinny and reconnect +ive and then -ive. Then put Battery grease over the terminals to help prevent it happening again over the Winter.

Would spray can copper grease be okay to put over the terminals after cleaning them?

Recommend Battery terminal spray grease or Vaseline. It shouldn't be conductive grease.

• Like 1

My original Toyota Battery lasted 7 years, 69,000 miles, and it looks like the Halfords Battery HCB012 which I replaced with a similar Battery last year, lasted 12 years, unless I fitted two previous batteries not one, in which case the Halfords batteries lasted about 6 years.  I've mislaid my service manual, so I cannot confirm that, my photo copies of it only go up to 2011.  The car is 20 this year.  The prescribed battery by Halfords did not fit the carrier, so I had to buy a smaller battery, but it has always started the car first time. However, I always plaster the terminals with loads of Vaseline.

• Like 1

To answer one of your questions, A Battery bought in 2015 would probably be sealed and you would not be able to top it up. If you have a Battery charger give it a good charge and try it on a cold morning and see how it starts. If you have a voltmeter and do the test mentioned in a previous post and the alternator is working then it is possible that your Battery has not lasted as long as one would  hope. If it's not under warranty I would go  for a cheap battery on eBay, In my experience they last a good time and are a lot cheaper than Halfords.

In my early days of motoring I had to carry the battery upstairs to charge it as I lived in a block of flats. In those days you never bought a new on until you had to. Mind you you had starting handles which usually got you going  then. Bit difficult with these transverse engines nowadays.

Don

Okay so my car did not start this morning, i took it to Halfords for a free battery/alternator test. The device showed my alternator was sending the correct charging voltage to the Battery, and it showed my batter is poor and needs replacing on the reader. The chap said that some of the cells must have died out, so best to replace it asap. 

Can someone please reccomend me some reasonable price/quality batteries with some links? Also any precautions to take when buying a new one?

That would help. Thank you.

Currently found this one for £53 using promo code from Euro car parts

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Corolla_1.6_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770120&1&f786ee45412cc3caaa1a74a450d4aec8665fd272&000020

Can anyone advise if any good?

Why did you not just get one whilst at Halfords? Ok so it might be a few quid more than somewhere else but it already did not start for you so why go thru' it again and save the hassle!

You're going to have to be quick as most places will be shut tomorrow!

If not Halfords try Kwik Fit or other local tyre/battery suppliers. I'ts difficult to reccommend any particular brand as people seem to have different experiences. At least if you buy one locally you can take it back if it fails during warranty.

As I mentioned before I don't pay the max price for batteries and I've always had good life from the ones I've bought.

Don

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Have used ECP promo codes before, but you are saying it drops from £96 to £53 , that sounds too good to be true, though it does come up the same for me !

One thing a local car electrics company told me is for older cars its worthwhile getting a stronger Battery than the original due to the older wiring and connectors etc.

Instead of the standard 012 type rated at 50Amps , look at the type 027 which is 60A, a good 20% more powerful.

If you see its specs its the same width and height but 30mm longer, though it fits in my 2006 ok, got it from this place, arrived well packed etc, though cheaper at the beginning of the year, but double check for your car.

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/560-408-054-varta-blue-dynamic-d24-027-2814-p.asp

If you went for the Exide 027 is  comes in at £65 , though you only have till Midnight tonight before it expires

Think any big name like Varta, Bosch, Exide you will be fine, everyone has there own favourite

• Thanks 1

Would a 50ah Battery be okay for my car? I am planning to keep my car till the summer. Was ideally looking to spend £50-60 max one. If anyone has links to any that they have brought for their Corolla and that fitted without issues. Please share links. Thanks

If you are only going to keep the car until the summer u may want to get a second hand one from anyone advertising local on eBay or gumtree. I sold a 43amp Battery (I think, fiesta 1.25) on gumtree previously which was probably 3 years old and still in very good condition. I did upgrade the Battery to something like maybe 53amp, the quick start and smoothness of starting engine was awesome compared to the stock Battery. I did have to cut one side of the battery tray as it was too big, but I already did the maths and it still fit in the engine bay area. 

I dont trust second hand batteries as they can cause hassle if they play up. Just wanted a suggestion if there are any decent reasonable priced ones going and if a 50ah would be okay?

Below i have attached the sticker from my current one. It says 60ah thats why im asking if a 50ah would be okay? Thanks

20181226_132356.jpg

If you go for a secondhand Battery you might get one like your existing one!

I would go for the correct rating for the car whatever that is.If we get a really cold spell you could be in trouble if you buy an under rated one. You may also be in trouble with the warranty in the unlikely event that it fails.

You can go on line to a number of Battery suppliers and type in your registration number and they should come up with a number of options. It look like prices have gone up  a bit since my last purchase but you should get something for £50 - £60. If the dealer says 50 AH is ok then go for it.

Don

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kuljit55 said:

Would a 50ah battery be okay for my car? I am planning to keep my car till the summer. Was ideally looking to spend £50-60 max one. If anyone has links to any that they have brought for their Corolla and that fitted without issues. Please share links. Thanks

My Battery is 50 ah.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, will consider a 50ah one if its okay to use. 

For starting the engine it is the CCA  (cold cranking amps) and CA  (cranking amps) are the figures that matter most. This is a measure of the current that can be drawn without the terminal voltage dropping below 7.2 volts at the specified test temperatures. The Ah capacity is a measure of the total stored energy available over a long term discharge such as leaving your headlights on or the alternator packing up. A 60Ah Battery would run an 11amp load (typical for a pair of headlights and tail lights) for around 5.4 hours, the 50Ah would be around 4.5 hours. 

A second hand Battery of more than a couple of years old will be down on both these metrics compared to a new. 

• Thanks 1

I managed to replace my Battery, brought a new Yuasa 60ah 450 cranking amps Battery. The fitment was not as exact as the original Toyota Battery, but got the clamp on, had to lift the handle up and bolt it on as it came in the way. Thanks for all the advise. 

• 8 months later...

Hi everybody, just bought a 2004 Corolla hatchback 1.6 L and just joined the club so a little late to the thread .Could anybody advise me on what sort of Battery hold down clamps are being used or how are batteries being secured .The clamp I have doesn't fit (too small) any of the batteries advertised  as suitable for the car ,the current battery is 45 AH 330 CCA so needs to be replaced.  I've had to jam a small piece of wood between the clamp and current Battery which holds at the moment .

4 hours ago, Moozoo said:

Hi everybody, just bought a 2004 Corolla hatchback 1.6 L and just joined the club so a little late to the thread .Could anybody advise me on what sort of Battery hold down clamps are being used or how are batteries being secured .The clamp I have doesn't fit (too small) any of the batteries advertised  as suitable for the car ,the current battery is 45 AH 330 CCA so needs to be replaced.  I've had to jam a small piece of wood between the clamp and current Battery which holds at the moment .

Hi,

As mentioned in the posts above, you are well advised to fit a higher capacity Battery than the small one you have, which sounds to be smaller than the original size, like mine was, as shown in the pic below.

As you can see its a simple threaded rod that pulls down a simple metal piece and it still works fine  if a  larger type 027 60A Battery is fitted .

I add a little piece of tough foam or similar to stop the Battery being pinched too hard by that top metal strap.

Make sure any new battery is well secure as it could fail the mot if the tester considers it unsafe.

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/560-408-054-varta-blue-dynamic-d24-027-2814-p.asp

000029.jpg

I fitted a 005 (65ah) in mine recently, fits perfectly width and hight.

Previously it had a 48ah with a plunk of wood to understand it to raise it upto the metal bracket.