Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

help - burning smell!

ProfGlenn

Sorry to bother folks on here again.  I have got burning smells occasionally when doing high revs - e.g. uphill on a motorway or overtaking etc.....but tonight got a really strong burning smell in the cabin just driving slowly round the city.  Lasted a few minutes.  About ten minutes later I stopped the car for a few minutes and then when I started it again, got the burning smell again.  And then it went away again.  I'm home now and have opened the bonnet but there is no burning smell. Previously when I stopped I could smell burning in the street.  I've called the AA out to be safe.  I've never had the burning smell when driving slowly before.  Any ideas??

Thanks

Glenn

Hi Glenn, you need to tell people at least what engine & transmission your car has (mileage, last serviced etc. also useful).

Profile edited using info from previous post - car is 1.8 hybrid.

16 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Glenn, you need to tell people at least what engine & transmission your car has (mileage, last serviced etc. also useful).

Sorry.  Still new to this.  1.8 Hybrid as Frostyballs says, about 60000 miles.  Service due 22 Dec.  Serviced annually.

AA can't see any leaking antifreeze or oil.....they say could be a blocked vent from the impact of the rear collision before.....very annoying......

It might be possible that in the rear end collision the catalytic converter could have been damaged which can be a reason for the smell you are getting. Worth checking it out.

definitely mention it when it is going in for service & see what they can find that could be the cause.

Rule out any issues of binding brakes. After a few miles driving, stop the car and carefully touch each wheel in turn with your bare hand. You will feel if any of the brakes are binding, they will be mad hot.

What about the cooling system fan for the HV Battery. Doesn't the inlet to the fan start by the rear seat, by the right rear door? 

AURIS HYBRID UKP |  BATTERY BATTERY CABLE

Edited by Konrad C
Adding photos.

maybe a split / perished engine breather pipe and at high revs gasses are

leaking out of the hoses and been drawn into the cabin via the cabin fan

Cooling fan or breather pipe both sound like plausible candidates - have emailed Toyota to check on Saturday when the service is done - thanks a lot Eygo and Konrad

They didn't find a thing on the service Friday or MOT Saturday.  Annoying.

However since the service / MOT the ride quality has seemed MUCH worse.  Like driving on a badly tarmacked road all the time.  What's going on???

They had probably pressured up your tyres , this is what actually happens when driving your car with under pressure tyres for a while than you have it pumped up to a recommended or above . Just check the pressures with precise tool, keep them exact 2.3 bar front and 2.2 bar rear. 

Regards and Merry Christmas 

32 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

They had probably pressured up your tyres , this is what actually happens when driving your car with under pressure tyres for a while than you have it pumped up to a recommended or above . Just check the pressures with precise tool, keep them exact 2.3 bar front and 2.2 bar rear. 

Regards and Merry Christmas 

No it’s only just had two new tyres and wheel alignment  a couple of weeks ago and it’s been fine!

merry Christmas 

as said check the tyre pressures and see what they are now

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links