Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No DPF - do I need a C2 oil?

Kombustion

Auris 2.0 D-4D 2007 with   no DPF

All the oil sites I've gone to recommend a C2 oil. Is there any reason to use a C2 oil when the car has no DPF ,?

Would a higher ash A5/B5 oil such as Comma Xtech 5W-30 be as good/better?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 9:22 PM, Kombustion said:

Auris 2.0 D-4D 2007 with   no DPF

All the oil sites I've gone to recommend a C2 oil. Is there any reason to use a C2 oil when the car has no DPF ,?

Would a higher ash A5/B5 oil such as Comma Xtech 5W-30 be as good/better?

Answering my own question here . . . .

The owners manual (for ADE150R-DHFNYW - which this car is )
lists the following information for engine oil:

ACEA B1, API CF-4 or CF  (You may also use API CE or CD)
5W-30 preferred (but it also OKs use of thicker grades at higher temps)

so despite most of the current recommendations being for the more expensive C2 (mid-SAPS) oil, the owners manual does not require this.

From reading https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php it looks as if the B1 spec listed in the manual is now obsolete and is superceded by ACEA A5/B5.

ACEA A5/B5 CF is not a difficult or expensive oil to obtain and seems to sometimes have Ford in the name - eg http://www.tradetec-oil.co.uk/products/automotive-lgv/fully-synthetic/TT231/

If I follow the Shell, or Mobil, or Miller or Comma recommendation for this car, I'd be spending more than double compared with the cost of following the recommendation in the manual. To their credit, Opie Oils were the only company who got this right when asked if I really need to use a C2 (mid-SAPS) engine oil in this DPF free car (although they also recommend a C2 oil if I put the reg in at their site)

If anyone wants to do better than the recommendation in the manual, my personal opinion would be to choose fully synthetic oil, a good quality filter and increased frequency of changes.

The 'engine oil recommendation' guide linked to earlier in this topic states that C2 is only required for engines with a DPF/DPNR -

"Diesel engines incl Optimal drive 5w30

Diesel engines with DPF/DPNR including optimal drive 0w30 or 5w30 meeting C2 low ash"