Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full Traction Battery - still charging?

Mick F

4 hours ago, Mick F said:

The point of my OP is that when descending with a fully green battery, it IS charging.  

The problem is that with the updated display system, you cannot tell when you have a full Battery - the last segment being lit for Battery levels between 70 and 80%, for example. On my car you can. 

Only an app can help you further, as mentioned before.

I have just checked my car with 'the app'. The car had only one blank segment and this corresponded to 67% Battery (probably flips from 2 to 1 segment clear at 65%). Starting the car, and engine, gave a charging rate of around 5kW and the charging stopped at 74% - probably means that no blank segments is 80%. All done at 8 degrees C. 

Yes, since the early days of the (1.5Litre) Mk 1 Prius it's been known that 0% on the gauge is about 40% SoC in reality, and 100% on the gauge is about 80% in reality.  This, along with temperature and other controls, is part of the reason the Hybrid Battery life is so much better than mobile phone, laptop etc. batteries.

Excellent info there guys!  🙂

I think that the screen diagram isn't "truth" in that the green flow maybe being shown to to "full" Battery, is wrong.

Mrs Mick F is home now, and we're off into town this afternoon, so on the way back I'll ask her to get her phone out and take a photograph.

Mick.

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Yes, since the early days of the (1.5Litre) Mk 1 Prius it's been known that 0% on the gauge is about 40% SoC in reality, and 100% on the gauge is about 80% in reality.  This, along with temperature and other controls, is part of the reason the Hybrid battery life is so much better than mobile phone, laptop etc. batteries.

The 80% figure is the sweet spot for batteries. My laptop's bios has a 80% max charge feature which I use - 10 year's life perhaps 😉

She got a photo ok.

Remember, this situation is what prompted me to ask the question.  When all the segments are green and the car is stopped but with engine running, the charging stops.

When moving with my foot off the gas, the flow is green to a fully green Battery.

I suppose it's an issue with the display software.

Mick.

IMG_0031.jpg

When I got my first hybrid I was concerned about the Battery reaching max, that was before I tried the hybrid assistant and found out the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro