GlenUK

Stolen Keys - Toyota Aygo

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I have a Toyota Aygo platinum 2008 5 door model. It came with a key/remote fob and a spare key (no fob on the spare for central locking). Today someone stolen the main key (the one with the remote fob). I have parked the key some where safe in-case they return for the car.

What are my options now? I guess I will need to get all the locks replaced on the car? Any idea what the cost might be? Really skint with it being xmas.

Thanks for any advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

27 minutes ago, GlenUK said:

I have parked the key some where safe in-case they return for the car.

you will need the stolen key to be deactivated from the ecu so it cant be used in the future.

sorry dont understand your quote at the top

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eygo said:

you will need the stolen key to be deactivated from the ecu so it cant be used in the future.

sorry dont understand your quote at the top

Wont they still be able to use it as a standard key? The doors have locks the key can be inserted into (mechanical locks), the ignition is mechanical also.

 

Also, do you have any idea of the costs involved?

Many thnaks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked your insurance policy to determine whether you're covered for lost/stolen keys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Have you checked your insurance policy to determine whether you're covered for lost/stolen keys?

Won't I lose my no claims?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would need to check with your insurer to be certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You would need to check with your insurer to be certain.

I just checked. They cover the cost if they were stolen from outside the car. Mine where stolen within the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GlenUK said:

Wont they still be able to use it as a standard key? The doors have locks the key can be inserted into (mechanical locks), the ignition is mechanical also.

 

Also, do you have any idea of the costs involved?

Many thnaks,

based on you saying you where skint i mentioned the deactivating the key as its the cheapest option

and this would stop your car from being started as the key has the immobilser chip in it,

if you want a 2nd hand set of locks with keys and the alarm ecu then budget for £300 - £350

then its a straight swap if you dont have the alarm ecu you would need the new keys programming to the car.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eygo said:

based on you saying you where skint i mentioned the deactivating the key as its the cheapest option

and this would stop your car from being started as the key has the immobilser chip in it,

if you want a 2nd hand set of locks with keys and the alarm ecu then budget for £300 - £350

then its a straight swap if you dont have the alarm ecu you would need the new keys programming to the car.

 

Yeah, I called someone and they said they could deactivate the key for 170 quid but they'd still be able to get into the car.

He said I'd need to contact the main dealer to have the locks replaced, is that true? Or do you know if someone that clukd do it cheaper?

Many thanks,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eygo said:

just found this for you glen

all you need to do is buy a spare key

Thanks, would a garage fit that for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a garage would do it for you but

honestly it is something you can do yourself

once the door panels are off the barrels have

a clip to hold them in and the ecu is plug and play

i would just have a look around the web to see if you

feel you could do it yourself

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, plot twist. I got a call today for a woman who found my keys (bear in mind they were taken from the running car yesterday) I went to meet her and at the end of the street was a young teenage lad waiting to hand me my keys. Reason I mention that is I'm pretty sure the young lad took the keys to show off with his mates then his mum found them and called me.

 

Surfice to say, I have my original keys now. Is there a way I can reprogram the keys so that a copy would not start the car? I highly doubt they made a copy within a day but just incase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the kid may of had a key cut but probably wont of

getting the immobilser in a day isn't possible and

you also have to prove to toyota ownership of the car

before they will supply the immobiliser part.

here is just the lock set you could change the locks just to

have piece of mind,on the remote key there is a small

screw undo this screw and the key blade will come out

you can then swap the new lock set blade into your original remote.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Toyota-Aygo-5-Door-Hatchback-Vehicle-Lock-Barrel-Set-With-Key/163425767571?epid=22026969346&hash=item260cef5093:g:xGYAAOSw8OFcD4wS

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay eygo, thanks pal you've been a legend. I may have a stab at replacing the barrels.

 

Just to confirm, if I assume the worst that he did get a key cut, without the immobiliser they cannot start the engine but they can open the car door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes thats correct can open the door but cannot start the engine

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...