Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slippy clutch

thom_jones

Hi guys, my 2008 t25 1.8 petrol avensis has developed a slipping clutch...I do a lot of miles in it. (15k plus since the end of July) so want it addressing. Does anyone have any idea on the price to get one replaced? I’ve heard it ain’t cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Thom. I Googled clutch replacement cost for Avensis and it came up with an example of 2010 1.8 Petrol: Independent Garage:  £600 - £666: 6/7 hours labour. I assume it's possible to pay less but at least it's a ball park figure for you to budget.

Hope this helps and good luck 

• Like 1

Clutch can be quite expensive on diesels, luckily on petrol it should come out a bit cheaper

. Clutch sets usually go around 150GBP and up + labor, 4-6 hrs or so. You can check clutch sets online to compare some prices.

How many miles do you have on your avensis?

• Like 1

I paid over £500 for my clutch replacement. The clutch for the T27 1.8 valvematic engine costs around £200, including the concentric bearing. The labour made up the rest. The T25 will be a lot cheaper, because it is less complex and the parts far cheaper.

I’m not sure what to do tbh...it’s gonna cos5 about half what it’s worth!

Then it all depends on what the car is like generally. Are the brakes ok with plenty of wear left? Hows the exhaust system going on, will it last another few years? What about the tyres for wear left? General body condition? Do you like the car enough to keep it? The balls in your court. 

• Like 2

I must admit out of the 3 t25 avensis I’ve owned this is the worst...thing I’ve noticed is it’s not slipping in all gears...2nd & 3rd are the main culprits!

So you are saying in 1,4 and 5th gears it's fine? That seems weird, it should slip the most in higher gears, that is 4 and 5, as the load is highest in those gears.

Did you try the 5th gear test? While idle, pull the handbrake, put into 5th, let the clutch out, if it stalls, should be fine.

You can also try driving at 40-50 mph, switch to 5th, mash the gas, see if it slips.

Also did you  check if there is possibility to adjust the clutch? Maybe try to get a bit more life out of it.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

You can also try driving at 40-50 mph, switch to 5th, mash the gas, see if it slips.

While this is a good test, at least the idea behind it, I wouldn't mash the gad in 5th gear while at those speeds, 40 mph is only 65 kmh, at that speed my T25 in 5th would be sitting at around 1200-1400 RPMs and mashing the gas at those loads isn't doing the engine any favours.

Mashing the gas pedal to the floor also means that the turbo will spool as fast as it can, providing the engine with the most air possible. I'm sure Toyota's engines are better than most but I remember there being an issue with Ford's or Mazda's (or maybe it was their joint engines) that would blow up specifically when in high gear and the driver would mash the gas pedal while the RPMs were below 3000 or something.

Again, Toyota is better but it still puts unnecessary stress on the bottom end of the engine.

12 minutes ago, Byzii said:

While this is a good test, at least the idea behind it, I wouldn't mash the gad in 5th gear while at those speeds, 40 mph is only 65 kmh, at that speed my T25 in 5th would be sitting at around 1200-1400 RPMs and mashing the gas at those loads isn't doing the engine any favours.

Mashing the gas pedal to the floor also means that the turbo will spool as fast as it can, providing the engine with the most air possible. I'm sure Toyota's engines are better than most but I remember there being an issue with Ford's or Mazda's (or maybe it was their joint engines) that would blow up specifically when in high gear and the driver would mash the gas pedal while the RPMs were below 3000 or something.

Again, Toyota is better but it still puts unnecessary stress on the bottom end of the engine.

He has a petrol 1.8 engine, which should be NA, so at 65 km/h the rpms should not be that low, althrough i do agree, 40MPH is  a bit low, my conversion to km/h has failed me..

On 12/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, thom_jones said:

Thanks guys, could it be the gearbox?

Doubt it can be the gearbox, but do answer questions posted in topic, how many miles on the clutch, do you think it's original, is your driving mostly highway, or city, and how much each?

Have you tried 5th gear test from standstill? Are you sure it's slipping only on 2nd and 3rd, but not higher gears? It should slip in higher gears the most as there is higher load then.

Describe the slippage, what is the situation when it occurs, etc.

I had my clutch replaced in my 2005 T25 1.8 petrol and it came in at just under £300 - the mechanic charged me 4 hours labour.

• Like 2

had mine done as it devoloped a judder in heavy  stop/start traffic,but not on long journeys.was quoted £970 by toyota got it done at a1 clutches in dudley for £280

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Right update... I can now change gear without the clutch! It’s also developed some electrical faults too...think it’s time to get shut!

So from a month ago when you first detected the clutch to date, you have not got it sorted. I know that my 1.8 Vmatic cost over £500 fitted. The Mk2 1.8 should be at least £200 cheaper. The slave cylinder bearing was part of the cost and not cheap. It's to change at the same time, since it is inside and fits around the input shaft. The Mk2 vvti clutch slave cylinder is the older external type, and separate from the clutch bearing. This saves between £50 to £100 on the clutch kit, compared to my car.

Anyway this is mute, since you have said about getting rid of the car.

A bit unrelated but damn, 2008 Avensis, petrol, and a clutch replacement is enough to scrap the car? I know cars in UK are cheap but damn, my T25 needs new injectors and new left-hand side driveshaft, and clutch in near future, and it still kind of makes sense to repair it and drive for at least 7 more years.

• Like 1