Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Security alarm problem 2007 Rav4

Worried2

Hi all

I have a problem where by the key both fobs opening the doors remotly operated intermitently and a few days later stopped operating at all. During this tiime operating the fobs sometimes set off the alarm, but if the car was started and the engine reved the alarm would stop. Since this time i have changed the CR2016 batteries in the key fob. I have also changed the cars 12v Battery as it was the cars original and was possibly showing its age in the recent cold weather. The doors locks still work with a key in the door lock and the red securitly light on the dash LHS is still blinking. Otherwise the car runs normally.

any ideas as to the source of this problem? sort of feels like a failing relay or something of that sort?

Don't think that you have explained the current problem well - is it that the fobs still aren't working to lock/unlock the car?

If so, they possibly need to resync. with the car.

Not sure if the imported RAVs had alarms factory fitted or were so fitted at import. The following is true of all my 3 UK built Avensis where the alarm was designed in & factory fitted - the alarm silencing by starting the car is as designed operation & locking the car via the mechanical key should not set the alarm.

Sorry for being unclear.

The fobs are not opening the doors now. Clicking the buttons has no effect, i have changed batteries in both fobs to have no effect.

When the problem started the fobs were causing the alarm to go off and not opening the doors. Now nothing happens at all.

However i can open the door using the key in the door lock and the car will start and run.

I have a long journey coming up and would like to sort this before then in case it causes other problems

4 minutes ago, Worried2 said:

The fobs are not opening the doors now. Clicking the buttons has no effect, i have changed batteries in both fobs to have no effect.

Do the little red LEDs in the fobs glow when you press the buttons?

I have a long journey coming up and would like to sort this before then in case it causes other problems

fwiw imo it shouldn't.

Yes the little red LEDs in the fobs do glow when the buttons are pressed

Presumably this is happening whilst the car is at one location?

It could be due to external influences which operate on the same frequency, interrupting the signal from the fobs. For example, someone's wireless doorbell, wireless network, signals from the National Grid, emergency services or armed forces communications, etc. This could be happening if someone has had a new equipment, etc.

I am suspecting the door control receiver, which is located rear LHS behind the filler cap.I am getting this from

www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/184863-rav-remote-lockingalarm-problem/?tab=comments#comment-1480649

Ah Frosty

the alarm going off occoured in two different locations now i come to think about itm so I dont think it is down to local interference. The failure pattern is of a component / module slowly dying and then failing completely, the door control sensor being a likley culprit.

OkThe latest, I have changed the cars 12v Battery and the two key fob battteries (red lights showing when Pressed).I have fitted a replacement door control receiver, But still on action on the remote locking  front. I am suspecting I need to reprogram the keys to the new relacement receiver I have fitted as mentioned by heifirst a few posts up, I seem to remember having to do this with a previous Rav4 when I got a replacement key, you have to open and close doors switch ignition on and off etc.Would this be right? I ask before going and confusing the car even more.

Thanks for contributions so far

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted,

Replaced keyfob batteries,  no change

Replaced car 12v Battery which is showing signs of  age, no change

Replace door control receiver and reprogram Keys, fixed

thanks for updating thread with your actions, results & solution.