Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Accelerator pedal too light?

Garth-1

My wife has just told me that the gas pedal in our 2004 Avensis (1.8 petrol) is too light, and that's why she accelerates so quickly.  (Some excuse!)  Does anyone else think this, and if so is there a cure (for the Avensis pedal, not for my wife)?

• Confused 1

Your wife needs curing, not the car. If the pedal was “heavier” her right foot would tire quickly, and associated with that could be a constant”whine” which would be very problematic for you to sort out 😉

• Haha 1

Every car is different, sometimes even the same year, make and model can have different-feeling pedals or other things, but you get used to it with time.

It's also worth noting what shoes the driver is wearing, now in the colder months people tend to wear shoes with thicker heels and so the feel of the pedal doesn't get transfered as good as it does in the summer when the shoes you're wearing are giving you the feeling that you're driving bare-foor.

Or is this a new "fault" and it was okay for a long time before? There was a post here quite recently where 1.8  petrol owner felt his car lacking power, only to find out the throttle body wasn't operating correctly and didn't open quite as much as the pedal would make you think. This might be the same issue but the other way around where the throttle body opens up too much.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  I think Byzii's "shoes" explanation is the right one.  My wife uses her own car (an MX5) when the weather is good but takes the Avensis when it's bad, so by definition she will be wearing bad-weather clothes i.e. heavy shoes.