Do Not Sell My Personal Information

06 D-CAT T180 DPF fail

MARKABCD

Hello all,

I had my Christmas ruined by the RAV4 breaking down in the middle of nowhere in Germany last week 😞

It finally ended up in a garage and they are telling me it needs a new DPF. I have beeakdown repair cover up to £500 but they want 2000EUR to do the job. Right now it’s stranded out there as we eventually got a hire car and returned back to the Netherlands.

It seems there’s a lot to go wrong with this system, and replacing the DPF might be a last resort rather than a first step. Can anyone help/point me to a guide on what to check and try first? Basically I hope we find a cheaper solution that fits within the £500 cover I have!

I need to relay all the instructions back to the German garage as well, so I will ask for the specific fault code. Is there anything else I should as for?

Just to note - the EGR was cleaned out last October, but I’ve put a few 1000s of on it since then.

Thanks! I really hope to get this sorted with some help here as I really can’t afford such a repair bill!

My EGR blocked 2-3 times in a year - it seems it wasn't cleaned so well, so it didn't take much to re-block.  I'd certainly try to clean that first. Or even replace (a couple of hundred euros).

Otherwise, I recently used a non-Toyota DPF which came from a relatively trusted manufacturer, posted from UK directly to Portugal where I live, €300 plus post and fitting rather that the 2000+ that Toyota wanted. Sadly right now I don't have confidence in recommending it as I've had various problems since then (misfires and smoke), even if people seem to think it's not the DPF and it's just a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...
I had such a problem, I dumped dpf. I went to a mechanic who drew the dpf out and reprogramed the electronics and then no problems. price 200e

You can't pass the MOT test in UK if the DPF has been removed.

I have passed MOT in Slovenia with no problem, co2 and nox good...

3 hours ago, IanML said:

You can't pass the MOT test in UK if the DPF has been removed.

16 minutes ago, skakavav111 said:

I have passed MOT in Slovenia with no problem, co2 and nox good...

In the UK, where the OP resides, changes to the UK MOT in 2018, made DPF removal an MOT fail.

Ok ist a shame. My RAV4 when i took dpf out transforms in another car, pulls from 1500 rpm with no chooking.