Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Mud Flaps screws don’t go completely tight

oaklandm

Hi all,

just got my first Toyota so this is my first post.

Toyota wanted £120 to supply and fit 4 mud flaps so ended up getting some oem ones and fit them myself, got em all fitted but have a question about the front ones.

According to the instructions, you screw into the “grommet screws” that are already in the trim, I’ve done this but the screws don’t go completely tight, anyone know if this is normal and ok? Don’t want the screws coming out and ending up in my tyre 🙂 

looking at the grommet screws online, if I take them out, it would leave a large square hole so the screws wouldn’t fit. Tried ringing the local Toyota garage for clarification but they weren’t helpful unless I wanted to pay them to fit them.

Sounds like you've overtightened them. The screws are only going into soft plastic, and it's very easily done. :sad: I had the same thing with one of my screws when I fitted my OEM Toyota flaps, but it's never come loose, so no problems.

If you're worried, maybe try jamming in a very thin bit of plastic into the hole alongside the screw, so as to pack it out a bit. (We're talking half a matchstick thickness here.)  Enjoy the car!

Ok cool.. Thanks for the reassurance, I’ll leave them as they are and just keep an eye on them for the next few days. Loving the car so far, few little things I’m not sure if they should be happening or not but a great car.

I have just one more question about this car, it’s a 2017 Hybrid and if I leave the car parked for a couple of days, the brakes are seized on. Just spoken to the dealer and they reckon this is normal and their demo models do it also, is this right? 

I left the car parked for 3 days last week and had to sit on the drive with it in reverse and foot to the floor for about 10 seconds before the clunk and release of brakes. 

I’m just sounds a little extreme to me, if left for weeks I could understand it.

thanks

Hi, same thing happened on wife's MY15, as we park on a sloping driveway.She learn't not to heave it on and rely on 'P' and to use footbrake before selecting 'D'. Worst time was in damp conditions. She doesn't have same problem in newer MY17.

Countrylad try putting screws in with a bit of string or a dab of sealant or Araldite as a last resort.

This happens on both mine and my wifes cars if they're left for any length of time.  They're not seized on they're just sticky.  If they were seized they wouldn't release (I know I can be pedantic :))