Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flashing Key Symbol Switching OFF Car

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Happy New Year everyone! 😄

I have a weird issue.

I have keyless entry/start, and SOMETIMES after I've been driving, when I switch off the car, I get beeping and a flashing amber key symbol.

What does this mean?

Car is in park, doors still closed, seat belt still fastened, foot off the brake when the button is pushed.

It doesn't always do it.

Note that it is NOT flashing while the car is ON, so it isn't simply that it can't see the key anymore.

Car starts fine if I put my foot on the brake (green key) and press the button to switch ON.

What does it mean?

Oooh... if that's the case, my local garage are in trouble as it was supposed to be replaced last service...

Are they easy to change?

I have this problem occasionally with my 2015 Yaris Hybrid. Just go through the start-up and shutdown procedure and that clears it. 

When I first bought the car , had this problem in the first week , thing wouldn't stop beeping and flashing while trying to lock it. 

Turned out to be the spare key in my wifes handbag which was in the front footwell , take the spare out and all is well !

Edited by bill.belfield
Typo

The other key is miles away (literally). It's not that it sees a second key or that the key was removed/lost/not detected anymore.

I think booke02 is correct - it's telling me the Battery is low.

I'll try driving with the other key for a while and see if it still does it.

15 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Are they easy to change?

Should be very easy. Check in your handbook. It probably needs a CR2032 button Battery

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Oooh... if that's the case, my local garage are in trouble as it was supposed to be replaced last service...

Are they easy to change?

The Toyota keys I have had (5 cars) have all been easy to open and replace Battery, your car manual may describe the action needed. Batteries have been large button Battery similar to what goes onto a computer motherboard and can be got from Toyota, probably around £4 fitted, or at Tesco etc for that sort of price for 2 in one pack.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Car is in park, doors still closed, seat belt still fastened, foot off the brake when the button is pushed.

We always need to press the footbrake to press the button to start and also to switch off.

I tried it once without the footbrake to press the button to switch off and nothing happens unless you hold it in for a second or two.  I tried it once when driving too (I must say I was experimenting and doing it on a quiet road and driving gently).  No footbrake - you need to hold the button in - when stopped or whilst driving.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pushing the button with your foot off the brake should switch off the car. If you hold your foot on the brake and switch it off, it switches off the hybrid system and transfers to the 12V Battery IIRC (auxiliary mode to allow the radio to continue working, the same as if you switched it on without your foot on the brake).

On 1/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

If you hold your foot on the brake and switch it off, it switches off the hybrid system and transfers to the 12V battery IIRC (auxiliary mode to allow the radio to continue working, the same as if you switched it on without your foot on the brake).

I've tried this on my Yaris and it still switches everything off.  I still have to press the start button to switch the radio back on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Interesting. Mine doesn't.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links