Do Not Sell My Personal Information

moon roof

Wynford

The moon roof tries to open, but gets stuck after only moving a few centimetres, or lifting slightly. Had to push it back to close it, manually. Any ideas? 

After all this time you may have built up a fair amount of debris between the glass and the rubber seal. As it tries to move it shows that the power is there so might be worth trying to push it open when tilting which may give you enough clearance to push something like a flat wooden lolly stick in the groove to check that

Del

Thanks @crofter - well easy enough to get the glass out of the way, just four screws. Then flooded it with wd40, then got in the runners with cotton buds and a soft toothbrush. To no avail. It's like its not getting enough power, only does it in spurts, and then stops, and if i try again it goes  a little bit more, like its jogging ( a lathe turners term for a little bit every time the button is pressed.)

Well managed to get the frame to retract fully, took about ten minutes, and now I can't get it back to the closed position!! 

Any tips of getting the frame back manually? I'm gonna have duct tape the glass in place.....

How does it work? is it a screw mechanism - I can see a worm screw, looks like nylon, in the channel, I'm guessing this has worn out....

Gonna call toyota to see what they say, and how much to sort it out.

cheers

wyn

One other thing might be worth checking is the route to earth clean on all joints as the voltage needs, shall we say, an easy way back to the Battery

Del

ok thanks. ran out of daylight! try again tomorrow. do you know the location of the sunroof motor?

I would think the motor would be alongside the sun roof so could be under the head lining.

Might be if you have a firm that fits sunroof units near you they could enlighten you on this or would a windscreen fitter know about this. Anyone on here to help with this

On the parts diagram, it looks like the motor is centrally in front of the roof aperture.

Thanks @IanML ! back on it today. it's quite a complicated setup looking at the electrical diagrams, but mine seems more like some sort of mechanical problem.

Yes I did manage to find some sort of diagram locating it to the side above passenger in roof, but then also discovered a more detailed image showing it behind the map light / control switch, in the roof. A more sensible place, so must be accessible through that panel, thank goodness. In the meantime i tracked down a salvaged motor for 18 quid, and some nylon cogs, which they say wear and these are OEM replacements.

I'll keep everyone posted on this, together we will beat it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help

wyn

UPDATE

OK, found the motor behind the map light / control switch. Easy enough to remove, 3 bolts, two in clear the other a little fiddly as it's further back to the left, but gently freeing the headlining and pulling it down, allows good access to last bolt. 

Dismantled motor to get cog / pinion out that engages with the linear screws to move the sunroof. Inserted it into a Battery drill, and managed to get it to engage with linear screws, but running it either way would not move the sunroof rails!

So guessing the linear screws are not very free, and as they are nylon, so probably worn.

To get the sunroof frame back into closed position (I'd already removed the glass) I had to attach a rope to each side and pull, evenly. This got it moving, and back nearly into the front closed position. The get it the last inch or so i used a small chisel in a grove on each rail and hammered to gently move then to the end point, alternating from side to side to keep then even. 

Managed to put the glass roof back in, but it is tilted down slightly, got to figure out if i can manually force this fully into the closed position.

Rain stopped play! 

Secondhand motor due tomorrow, I'll put this on and see it works, or atleast closes the sunroof. And if it does, I will leave alone, and may revisit in warmer weather.

Thanks to all those who commented / gave guidance

Wyn

PS: found diagram and instructions on taking the whole sunroof frame / runners out! Far too much work, and may not result in success. For instance the whole of the headlining has to come down, and that is a biggy on 4 door rav 4, and you can bet your life it would not go back and look as neat as it does now.