Do Not Sell My Personal Information

hooray! - yaris gr-sport now on toyota uk configurator

fields of panda

from £19835 for totally unoptioned car

just the four paint choices; (solid) chilli red the only non-cost colour
+ £250 for (solid) pure white as per all the promo materials(....), or
+ £515 for manhattan grey, or
+ £515 for nebula blue

interestingly, some markets have even fewer paint choices for the model.. spain only has the red or white (both coming at no cost- but the white comes with contrasting red gr sticker pack as standard), france misses out on just nebula blue (but also has the red stickers standard for white + grey). german and swiss markets have all four paints available.

not much in terms of option pack choices;

red gr-inspired stickers on front and rear bumpers + £100
touch 2 with go nav + £650
protection pack + £250

sports seats and gt86 steering wheel look especially lovely. to my knowledge, there is no fixed/limited number to be produced of this variant- doubtless somebody will confirm otherwise as soon as i commit to posting this, though!  either way, this seems to be something that would make for a nice longterm ownership prospect. maybe we'll go for a pre-reg'd/demo one in the coming months, if we like the driving experience afforded by changed dampers + increased wheel size.

best wishes.

Looks goods 👍 like you said a pre reg or ex demo would be way too go, come change time will definitely take a look, never had a Hybrid before either, thanks for posting. 

Colour me extremely disappointed! One would have expected the GR Sport Yaris to have some extra power over the standard Hybrid powerplant! 😟 It doesn't even have the spec of the Icon Tech for goodness sakes! Would have expected at least a different state of tune leaning towards more power rather than economy...

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Colour me extremely disappointed! One would have expected the GR Sport Yaris to have some extra power over the standard Hybrid powerplant! 😟 It doesn't even have the spec of the Icon Tech for goodness sakes! Would have expected at least a different state of tune leaning towards more power rather than economy...

That was my thoughts too.  I can't understand why anyone would want a standard car with "sporty" suspension and a lower trim level.

Mick.

I thought the GRMN model was there for the extra power even if it is 26k which is a lot but i was a tad disappointed as well but that 1.5 shifts ok 😁 just hope the extra weight of the Hybrid batters does not slow it down any? 

The GRMN Yaris is not a Hybrid and my understanding from various press releases was that the GR Sport would have a Hybrid version where the accent would be on power rather than the economy. What I would have expected from that was that it would have an uprated Battery installed with ECU mapping that would result in more aggressive use of electric power ADDED to the ICE power when needed (in a similar way to higher spec Lexus Hybrid models). The actual result is nothing more than a cosmetic exercise even if the uprated suspension is welcome (which could have been made available as an option pack on any of the current models anyway...). I hope they don't end up doing the same kind of thing with the Hybrid versions of the upcoming new Corollas... That may see me leaving Toyota behind and looking elsewhere.

Just to put things in perspective, 22 years ago I used to own a 2.0L stonker of a car which had the incredible SR20DE engine in it that was capable of motorway cruising all day at 70+mph whilst still returning average tank to tank mpg figures of 42-45mpg, could accelerate from 0-60 in a little over 7.0 secs and crank up to a true 135mph (on the track) and still keep going up! ...and that was just a bog standard naturally aspirated Otto cycle ICE. Given the BMW i8s, Teslas etc of this world, why can't Toyota come up with a bad boy Hybrid to add to the competition? They already know the technology from endurance racing so why not build a (tamer) road version? I would definitely be up for one of those! 😍😎

Good points especially about getting more power out of the Hybrid CPN they could have made it the warmer cousin of the GRMN and an option pack for the suspension would have been great would have got it for mine probably. I like the looks of the GR but after awhile would think i may have well went for an Icon or pushed the boat out for the thrills of the GRMH 👍

A silly video from James May regarding the GRMN:

GRMN unboxing

Also, if you want the real thing, some are available for around £22K with minimal mileage - check out autotrader.

• Like 1

Wish I had gotten that for Christmas lol, liked how the stats are wrote on the side of the box 😁 and what nice stats, wonder how much would work out a month 🤔 definitely going to take a look come upgrade time, mind you they say you get the best price for your car after three years, couple more years with mine? that GRMN too nice not to take a hard look at and a long test drive 😁 thanks Mike 👍

No car with the word "Sport" in the name should have 5 doors. 

Wonder why they discontinued the 3 door models.

Craig.

Yeah agree Craggle, i would have been happier if my Icon Tec had three doors as well for that more sporty look even if the girlfriend says cars with three doors look like toy cars! even if she likes Audi TTs and all that would go out the window if she ever got one 🙄 lol. 

Looked on Autotrader Mike, good that you can get some nearly new but the monthly payments are a tad eye watering! idea was to buy my Yaris Icon Tech get on the Toyota owners club and stop buying cars every 5 minutes 🙊 lol and keep it long term, mind I've said that with my last three cars lol, will have to lust after the GRMN from a distance and be good for now and start a piggy bank 🐖😏. My Yaris will need an extra wash when i get the chance she will be feeling unloved now lol 👍

3 hours ago, craggle said:

No car with the word "Sport" in the name should have 5 doors. 

Craig.

An excellent point and one which I missed completely! 😉

12 hours ago, craggle said:

demand for 3 dr cars has fallen off a cliff. I think that you will find many car manufacturers have dropped their 3 dr options as not worth engineering/stocking cost.

Hi All, was out car shopping for my sister as trying to get her out of her C1 which she'd had forever as it came with free insurance back in the day. So while I was at the dealership I had a good snoop around the GR Sport and I like it for a five door! I've always been a 3dr fan and with having my 2 Yaris's already in 3dr. But you know what it not bad at all and with the car market changing we have to make the best of what we get here in the U.K.  The seats are great and steering wheel from the GT86 makes a good addition too, if I try had a manual 6speed with the 1.5 It would be even more fun 👍

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

• Like 1

In the UK, even the Aygo has been reduced to one three door model - the cheapest X grade. Five doors for all other grades.

Looks good Ant182 and the 1.5 a good engine but the full on GRMN is a beast, still it could be worth it for the seats and stearing wheel alone both look great but it would have to be a real good deal and price over something like an Icon model. Thanks for putting the pics up 👍

Main problem with two-door cars, is that the doors are way too big!

We had a Fiat500 recently, and even as a "small" car, the doors were huge and heavy.  Very difficult opening them on an upward slope as well as in a car park.  Four-door cars have smaller and lighter front doors and are dream in comparison.  We wouldn't have a two-door car again.

Mick.

• Like 2

We've had three door cars in the past - the last one being owned between 2000-03. As both cars are garaged, the door opening between the car and the garage wall is a fair bit narrower due to the longer door, which makes access more difficult. So for us, together with reduced access to the rear seats, three door cars are a lot less practical.

To be honest, as the current Yaris is now an old design, I can see why the GR Sport offers only a cosmetic sports trim. 

• Like 1

Good point Mick F, forget how wider and that bit more heavy doors are on a two door car, always seemed to hit walls more easily when cleaning inside. 

• Like 1

Ant182 see what you mean looked at one today picking it up on fri 😁 PCP but first 3 years zero interest and got £9000 for my 2017 1.5 Icon Tec, cheaper tax and MPG should be great too 😁 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Ant182 see what you mean looked at one today picking it up on fri 😁 PCP but first 3 years zero interest and got £9000 for my 2017 1.5 Icon Tec, cheaper tax and MPG should be great too 😁 

Nice one Eddie "that's well worth a high five 🙏"  You should pop along to one of our Sprint events for a look see and maybe through it round the track one day put that finally tuned suspension to the test 😁 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, get used to them long winding country roads with a car that can go round them nicely and try too keep my tyres going till few payments have come off, will try my best 😁 thanks again for uploading the pictures of her, seats and steering wheel feel great and all the black instead of crome looks real good 👍

• Like 1

Toyota dealer said get 16 year warranty on the hybrid batteries! so good long term keeper unless Toyota turn my head in a few years 🙈dealer  said the GRMN are all sold out, was going to try and upload some pictures if they had one in, the payments would have been silly money and the MPG, maybe if that lotto win comes in 😂 

• Like 1