Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR180 60mpg? Yes!

swanseaguy

Hey all,

Thought I'd share my story with my SR180 and the fuel economy and power.

I've posted a few thing on this forum over the years I've had the car. About the fuel econmy and power on how bad it was - I finally got off my **** and did something about it and put my hand in my wallet.

I was literally getting 28-30mpg on average on the streets and I done a drive to heathrow last year, cruised at 70mph and got 39mph.

Long story short, I needed to improve it as I would start doing 95miles a day back and fore to work so did the following things:

Terraclean - £110 as its a 2.2 litre

Cleaned out the EGR valve - actually followed the post on here, it was straight forward.

DPF cleaner - Wynns brand

I was very pleased with the results!

On a good day I can get 60mpg out of the car on the motorway but I'm guarenteed 55mpg+ on the motorway.

Street driving im getting a respectable 45mpg

The turbo lag and power has also improved greatly!!! Hell of a difference.

Being completly honest, Im only getting these figures on the motorway by doing 55-60mph and not throwing the car everywhere, and driving with my pedal to the metal everywhere , but just wanted to post this as im very pleased with the results as I never ever thought the car could reach those types of figures.

Here are some pictures of how dirty the EGR valve was.

Even though the above things helped, it definitely takes driving like a learner as well - If you can like that, enjoy starting to save some money and fueling up less often

IMG-20181104-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181104-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181104-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20181104-WA0008.jpg

• Like 2

Nice figures for a 2.2

Job well done, hope the figures last long.

• Like 1

Hopefully mate! The car has been looked after on the service side of things (full toyota service history) but in terms of the egr valve, using things like redex and dpf cleaners etc. every so often I never did to be honest. 

I love the car never had any issues with it and dont plan on selling it anytime soon. Think I'll stick to cleaners every quarter or something and a terra/egr clean once a year, and hopefully those figures wont budge - And of course driving with patience and a light foot!

Never the less good for a 2008 2.2 i think 

• Like 1

You lucky guys, having that TerraClean magic and all that.

Might need to visit UK just to get the engine cleaned. 😀

My old 2006 avensis 2.0d4d was wild at the mpg until i gave the intake,egr,intercooler and a few other things a good cleaning i also used either millers diesel ecomax or 2 stroke engine oil both were great and was getting mid to high 60's

Does the type of oil make much of a difference to the mpg mate?

Need to make as much as a difference as possibke with the amount of drving im doing.

Thinking about a eco remap as well but not sure its worth it 

10 hours ago, frankie406 said:

My old 2006 avensis 2.0d4d was wild at the mpg until i gave the intake,egr,intercooler and a few other things a good cleaning i also used either millers diesel ecomax or 2 stroke engine oil both were great and was getting mid to high 60's

Does the tyoe if oil make much of a difference for mpg mate?

Need to get the most out of it as possible with the amount if miles im doing

I believe so,apparently it burns better lubes the pump and few or things.but since i used it my mpg was alot better.but a lighter foot and an extra bit of air in tyres will certainly help then you can think of the remap.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, frankie406 said:

I believe so,apparently it burns better lubes the pump and few or things.but since i used it my mpg was alot better.but a lighter foot and an extra bit of air in tyres will certainly help then you can think of the remap.

Yeah I've read up that an induction kit and free flow exhaust system will make a difference (again driving with a light foot) because you're freeing up the engine?

I got quoted £200 for a remap - They said I should typically see 5% increase on the mpg.

Yeah the expense of putting it all in the car would it be practical, are you keeping the car till it falls apart or thinking of changing sometime?... red diesel is cheap lol

7 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Yeah the expense of putting it all in the car would it be practical, are you keeping the car till it falls apart or thinking of changing sometime?... red diesel is cheap lol

No I want to keep it for another few years and have it as my work horse

Doubt id do the exhaust and air take but the remap is very tempting, if it true to 5% extra mpg id make that back and more.

• Like 1

I had a dtuk box on mine too was good though the power was great the temptation of driving fast was always there,just try to keep it for overtaking and the mpg will be good. Definitely recommend a remap rather than the box as the insurance needs to told for both. the box can be seen and the remap cant (wink wink).

Hi.

If anyone needs any help with insurance for a chip, re-map or tuning box then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Definitely can vouch for Adrian flux insurance, great price i got for the wife's 1st time insurance by herself!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Thanks for the positive comments. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Dan.

• 1 month later...

Hello mate, I'm getting about 40mpg out of mine, but lately its been making noises under acceleration. The best way I can describe it would be like a petrol engine pinking. Once the revs and engine speed get upto speed the noises stop. 

I'm guessing the terraclean was a sort of carbon cleaning but you cleaned the egr yourself. What did you use for the dpf or did the terraclean give that a clean too?

I love driving mine too but these noise's take the enjoyment away

Cheers

Toyota estimate that the fuel economy on the 2.2 sr180 is around 45-47mpg on average. To get near 60mpg from this engine would prove difficult. I used to have an auris 58 plate with the 1.4 d4d engine and the economy was usually around 60mpg. This was mainly motorway driving at 55-60mph most of the time. 

1 hour ago, HS78 said:

Toyota estimate that the fuel economy on the 2.2 sr180 is around 45-47mpg on average.

Under the NEDC which we know doesn't usually compare to "real world" results.

To get near 60mpg from this engine would prove difficult.

I had 2x 2.2 150 bhp Avensis estates (so bigger, heavier cars). On a couple of occasions under the right circumstances I got over 70mpg, getting middle 50s on motorway work wasn't hard. But over a full year of driving the average would be 42-45mpg.

Yes on isolated occasions higher mpg figures are always achievable. As you rightly say a more accurate review over the course of a year it averaged at 42-45mpg which is helpful to know. HonestJohn user reviews of the auris SR180 have a 'Real' mpg average of 38.1mpg. 

4 hours ago, HS78 said:

As you rightly say a more accurate review over the course of a year it averaged at 42-45mpg which is helpful to know. HonestJohn user reviews of the auris SR180 have a 'Real' mpg average of 38.1mpg. 

The standard 180bhp version is thirstier than the standard 150bhp version (& especially if also mated with the autobox).

Swansea, I have a Toyota Lindop Tuning box for sale if you're interested? I had it on my car for almost 2 years. Increased low down torque a lot as well as mid range, and gave me a few extra miles to a gallon as well. Normally averaged about 41/42 with it on the maximum setting. I don't poodle about either, I use the power. I'm selling it for £150 including postage. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283408320630

Speaking of the terraclean, someone on the Facebook Auris club had a Terraclean done and said it stopped the smokeing and improved acceleration and stuff. Personally, i'm going to remove the intake manifold and do a full decoke of the valves, intake runners/ports and the manifold itself. \

I broke one of these cars for parts and intake manifold was seriously clogged up at 77K miles. I'm at 112K miles now on mine. God knows what it's like. I can't wait to rip it off!