Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Brake Overheating message on dash.

Joregan75

Hi All

Had a message appear on my dash over Christmas , I have a 2009 t27 avensis . I started the car one morning and the minute I left go the electronic parking brake a message came on the dash saying ' parking brake overheating' , It only flashed up for 2 or 3 seconds and went off again and the car drove perfectly . I checked the car after driving and none of the wheels were hot or there was no smell of burning , so there was no sign of overheating . It drove perfectly for the rest of the day without the message showing again . The same message appeared the following morning but disappeared again . 

It only happened these 2 times and I have driven the car for the past week and a half and it has not appeared again . 

My question is has anybody seen that message before and what is causing it ? As it is completely gone and the car is driving perfectly . 

The only thing I can think of is there was alot of rain around that time with alot of floods on the country roads , could water have damaged some sensor or could the water cause excess rust on the discs thus causing the pads to stick and when the car is driven the rust clears and the message does not return??? 

I would be interested to hear any ideas or solutions as I have never seen this message before . 

Thanks 

I would get somebody with professional grade diagnostics to check for DTC codes stored. I caused mine to overheat, by overuse trying to fix another problem. It was erased with other  codes when I cleared all DTC's. I might have stored a record of the codes generated. 

I would have the rear brakes examined, to make sure the pads are fine and the pistons are not seized. I try to avoid deep puddles.  

Hi konrad

Thanks for your reply , ya it's due a service in a couple of weeks so will get it checked then . It doesn't sound to bad when it cleared by itself and it has not come back since . I think the puddles did not help it like you said . 

Thank God it's gone as I had nightmares of an actuator problem , the dreaded bill all avensis owners have !!

Cheers again 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joregan75 said:

Thank God it's gone as I had nightmares of an actuator problem , the dreaded bill all avensis owners have !!

It may well be dreaded by all but I think that you will find that very, very few (in comparison to the no. of cars) actually develop an actuator problem. Sadly, earlier cars do seem more likeley to develop it than later ones - no doubt improvements due to experience gained over production life.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Had this message today queueing for Diesel.. Stop-start in Q for maybe 10 mins, parking brake on/off probably every 20-40 seconds.  After message displayed carried on but no more parking brake, holding the car instead on foot-brake (sounded like a good idea at the time). Filled up, 137.9p/ltr, Sainsburys!  (Incidentally, found garage through the wonderful "FuelGenie" website having spent too many hours visiting garages out of diesel....

As it happens, full service & MoT about 2 weeks ago.

Haven't seen message again since.

a) Should I worry??

b) (New to me..) what's this dreaded problem?? 

The bloke 3-doors up with the electric car is preening himself. so smug....

Nothing to worry about - the repeated operation of it caused it to overheat (the manual advises this can happen). If it is now operating as normal with no warning lights or messages on the instrument panel then all is well.

If there is one thing I could change about my car then it would be replacing the EPB with a manual one!

• Like 2

Thanks Cessna!  It's the worst parking/ handbrake I've ever had. My old Lexus had a pedal operated one, worked fine, simple...  The avensis one I end up having to lean forward to operate.