Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 or 1.3?

bobcat

Hello,

We are looking to buy a Yaris 2016 - 2017 model year for my wife in the near future.

The main use will be a school run (approx 40 miles a day) which comprises local roads, some 50mph dual carriageway but does also involve some steepish hilly roads.

The car might be taken on the motorway now and then but not often, and will generally be seating 3 people and possibly 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers)

I was fixed on the 1.0 engine given its slightly better road tax (£0!) and better economy figures, but I am wondering whether the 1.3 might be better for the hilly/steep roads which will be part of its daily use and the odd motorway trip.

Anyone who has driven either of these engines have any suggestions?

Other than the economy difference and road tax (£30/£0) I have noticed the 1.3 has a 6 speed box rather than 5 but that seems to be about it. Is the 5 speed better than the 6 because I recall reading something about notchy gearchanges? and what about the engines are they equally reliable?

The only other thing is do both engines have the stop start technology? because I don't like it much and would prefer to not have it (I recall that it was removed from the yaris but am not sure)

Many thanks

Bob

Hi Bobcat, no stop start on any of them, also hate stop start, have used the 1.0 in an Aygo and that is lighter then a Yaris with just enough power up hills with myself and another adult in, had to use a much lower gear and burns any fuel saving over the 1.3 if doing a lot of hills in your area, great if your in by yourself, 1.3 a bit better all round but if you can stretch to £120 year tax the 1.5 is fantastic around same MPG as 1.3 with it being a mod of that engine and a replacement for it. 1.0 good for one person flat areas mainly and not bad at all on motorways, 1.3 if lot more hills and car has more people in, hope has been of help 👍

Reliability wise both engines should last well but personally i stay clear of the 3 cylinder engines and go for 4 cylinder engines because i think long term they will last better past 100k?. MPG with the 1.5 is always over 40 with short regular 2-3 mile trips to work longer trips get around 53 MPG. It drives and pulls well with another adult in and feels same as being in by myself. 

We've got 2013 1.3L and an old 2002 1.0L

The two compared for fuel 1.3L ave 43mpg and the 1L 45mpg not much in it?

When it comes to power especially up the hills the 1.3L out classes the 1L you only need to my be change down once in the 1.3L and twice the in 1L

Hope this helps

Stop/start is not offered on either the 1.0 or 1.33 third generation Yaris (2012 on). As regards the 1.5 petrol Yaris(non hybrid) this engine was a reworked 1.33 and came with the post face-lift Yaris from mid 2017.

Stop/start was dropped from the third generation Yaris due to cost reasons. 

The 1.0 is also used in the Aygo, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107/8, the IQ and various Daihatsu models. 

In your case...I would go with the 1.33 without doubt.

Hi everyone,

I appreciate everyones input, very helpful. So yes that sorts it will go for a 1.3 or perhaps a 1.5 if money allows.

We want to buy and keep for around 10 years so it makes sense to go for the 'stronger' engine and I agree that because of the hills any fuel saving provided be the 1.0 will be eroded by having to change down more gears than a 1.3 or 1.5.

Best Regards

Bob

Worth the extra out lay for the 1.5 if you can streach to it fab engine and only one i would have in a Yaris now unless go for a Hybrid next time in around 14 years or more fingers crossed, no bad engines really just 1lt is not great on banks and with too many people in 👍

Hi Bobcat, great choice of car, I have 2 Yaris's for myself 1.3SR 2002 and a 2013 1.33SR love them both and they do live a hard life but they both cope very well here in the very hilly high peak. I'd always go with the 1.33 manual 👍  Trying to get my sister to buy one too now. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links