Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Light Coming On.

Doosan

So I had to drive up to Doncaster from Kent on Wednesday to collect my caravan after being repaid (That's another story) and all was fine. I attached the caravan to the car, checked everything and all fine. I drove off and after about 10 minutes the handbrake check light comes on. Checked the handbrake and it fine and is as far down as it can go. After a few minutes, it goes off. Now happened periodically driving the 212 miles back to Kent. What I did notice was that this seems to happen while going uphill. I do know that on some Vauxhall cars this means that the clutch is wearing down, so I phoned my dealer when I returned home and they said that this is not the case with Toyota. They wanted me to bring the car in to be checked out at a cost of £100 just for the checking. I told them that I will drive the car about solo and see if the handbrake check light comes on. Just wondered if any of you technical guys could offer an answer to this problem? TIA

This is very likely to be a warning of low brake fluid in the master cylinder.  Inspecting the brake fluid level is the first thing to check.  Obviously, topping it up will stop the warning light coming on, but, the bigger question is, is it leaking out from somewhere???

As you almost certainly know, the brake fluid level will gradually drop down as the brake pads wear.  Topping up isn't usually necessary.  Close monitoring of the level would be good!

3 minutes ago, Gerg said:

This is very likely to be a warning of low brake fluid in the master cylinder.  Inspecting the brake fluid level is the first thing to check.  Obviously, topping it up will stop the warning light coming on, but, the bigger question is is it leaking out from somewhere???

As you almost certainly know, the brake fluid level will gradually drop down as the brake pads wear.  Topping up isn't usually necessary.  Close monitoring of the level would be  good!

Thanks, Gerg, I will check that out. 

Gerg, I have checked the break fluid and had to top up with about 150ml. I will keep an eye on this. I have also looked for signs of a leak but can see anything obvious.  Thanks again. Dave