Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso 1.8 Petrol, getting harder to engage 1st gear. Clutch?

Stonedofmoo

Hi guys

We have a 59 plate Verso with the 1.8 Petrol engine. Brilliant little car which has never skipped a beat for us.

We've noticed recently that the gearbox is getting stiff, particularly going into 1st and when cold. I changed the gearbox oil back in the summer and that didn't appear to make any difference.
Now the clutch is an original at 90,000 miles so it's clearly had a good run, and while it doesn't slip it may be wearing out in other ways.

Here's what I know.
The issues isn't present when the engine is switched off. By that I mean the gear shift is smooth going into 1st or any gear while the engine isn't running. As soon as the engine runs, the issues is noticeable. My thinking here is the clutch is the likely issue, possibly a worn clutch release bearing?

I'd appreciate any experiences of this you guys have. Also am I right in thinking the flywheel is solid on the petrols? I've not spotted anything to suggest it's dual mass.

Regards

Chris

I’m having the same problem. I discovered my engine thrust bearings worn and fell out. The crankshaft is shifting almost a 1/4” sideways. 

I'll bare that in mind, but it would seem a rather extreme diagnosis for a 90k petrol engine that's had an oil change every 5k miles for the last 30k. Presumably that manifests itself in more ways than one? Mine drives absolutely fine besides the sticky first gear.

To be honest I have the same diagnoses and also couldn’t believe it is the engine thrust bearings. Seeing is believing. Mine is always running fine. I also haven’t done anything to it yet. I’m driving it like this for years without any problems except the sticky first gear changes. We both definitely experience the same problem. 

Does the refs sometimes moving slowly up and down when you stand still?

Forgot to tell you my car has a FSH.  

Hi there. No the revs sit still and simply idle as you'd expect. How many miles has your engine does? Based on your profile we have different cars with different engines.