Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is it possible for a car to drive without engine thrust bearings?

Jonathan Cupido

What do you mean without?

That's oddly specific, what did you do? Rebuilt an engine and forgot to put the thrust bearings in?

In short, of course it's possible, just like it's possible to drive with shot rod bearings, but the question is for how long will you be able to drive around.

In case of thrust bearings, it could also be more difficult to put car in gear and in general operate the slutch since the crankshaft is moving longitudally, also problems with auxilliary systems connected with the drive belt since the crank pulley is moving and can cause the drive belt to snap or get stuck.

Too hypothetical to really answer properly.

Thx for replying. The engine seems to come from the factory like that. The car have FSH. Engine never been opened. Only when I replace the clutch plate now a week ago. The mechanics who replace the clutch and pressure plate pick it up and called me to witness the amount the crankshaft moving. It shifting a 1/4”. I was shocked. I told them to carry on replacing the clutch and pressure plate. I will first get more history on this problem. Now that I know of the play on the crankshaft l’m afraid to drive it. After the clutch and pressure plate was replaced there was no more play on the crankshaft and the engine runs smooth. No noises. I know it sounds unbelievable but I have read that company ‘s did make mistakes to forget to put thrust bearings in. If it is the case that toyota forget to put thrust bearings in are they reliable for installing it. They never picked up any metal shavings or pieces in the oil changes. The engine have now 226321kms on the clock. Thank you again. Best regards. God bless. Toyota Verso forever!!!

my engine crank shaft do exactly that. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links