Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Estate Hybrid, after market wing mirror is folding in all the time...

EC1

I have unfortunately knocked the original wing mirror off my Auris Estate Hybrid (left one on a right hand drive car). I bought a replacement wing mirror and fitted it myself. It's actually an easy job and the hardest part was removing the inside door panel which you can google ...

It looked perfect as I have plugged the mirror in and done up the bolts and replaced the door panel. I started the car and the wing mirror folded in! My car has never had folding wing mirrors and the right side wing mirror, which is the original one, did not fold (as it's not a power folding wing mirror). The old left hand side wing mirror also never used to fold in! The thing is I actually ordered the wing mirror that is not a power folding one. They do sell a power folding wing mirror but it costs twice as much so I know I didn't order it.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I was surprised the wing mirror even had a motor in it to do the power folding. Since the new wing mirror does have a motor and power folding function, it simply malfunctions as my car is not a model designed to have power folding mirrors. Unfortunately it only powers the fold mechanism and never powers the unfold mechanism. The wing mirror folds shut (so I can't see anything in it) and I can manually unfold it but then it folds shut by itself again when I start up. The odd thing is that it folds after 60 seconds or so.

Is there a way to make it stop folding in? For example is there a way to trigger it to unfold and then a wire I can cut on the wing mirror cable to disable the power to the folding motor? Otherwise do I just have to ask for a refund and get a different replacement wing mirror or will that one just be the same? How can I tell if the wing mirror has a motor fitted and should I be getting a wing mirror that definitely does not have a folding shut motor?

Thanks

Ewan

Moved to the Auris club. 

I have just realised now that the mirror actually folds a little on every indicator flash. So when I lock or unlock the car, the indicator lights flash and the mirror folds a little. Indicating left for 10 seconds will fold it in completely.

Oh well, mystery solved, this is what happens when you connect a power folding mirror when it should have been a non power folding mirror for an Auris! Will; need a refund and proper replacement for it!

can you disconnect the electrics to it - no power means no movement surely. Or am I missing something here.

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

can you disconnect the electrics to it - no power means no movement surely. Or am I missing something here.

Presumably if the electrics were totally disconnected from it then there would also be no adjustment, heating or repeater flasher though? 

But what if the electrics were not totally disconnected, just the wire (wires) causing the mirror to fold in. 😉

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

But what if the electrics were not totally disconnected, just the wire (wires) causing the mirror to fold in. 😉

Easier said than done perhaps, as these things often have a single multi-plug connector? Personally in that situation I'd rather send the incorrect mirror back for a replacement, rather than have to chop the loom to remove power from a function that it shouldn't have.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, EC1 said:

I have just realised now that the mirror actually folds a little on every indicator flash. So when I lock or unlock the car, the indicator lights flash and the mirror folds a little. Indicating left for 10 seconds will fold it in completely.

Oh well, mystery solved, this is what happens when you connect a power folding mirror when it should have been a non power folding mirror for an Auris! Will; need a refund and proper replacement for it!

If as you say you want the non folding version, i'd open up the mirror, and and cut the wires to the motor doing the folding, and insulate them.

That would be easiest fix that should work for you.

If it does not work, open the mirror, resolder the wires to the motor, and send the part back for replacement.

Already suggested that furtula, but it got poo poo’d by someone. ☹️

still thinks it’s best idea without the hassle of sending back, which will be costly.